PDA

View Full Version : MAS...I think it's gotten me...

instrumentality
May-27-2009, 3:41pm
...and I'm such a newbie I was hoping to avoid it for awhile...

I'm not sure what it is; I don't have fiddle acquisition syndrome. I have a main fiddle that I like, and my grandfather's fiddle that I'm getting restored and will never sell. Maybe it's because mandolin is my second instrument that I don't feel as attached to any particular one, or that I want to play a whole bunch to learn more about them...

It was always the plan to end up with a flat top and an arch top. So I bought a flat top. I like it, I'm learning a lot, it's fun to play. Then I went away with friends and of course, we had to stop and play with all the toys in the music shops. And I immediately became enamored with the arch top, f hole mandos. I love the way my oval sounds, but I loved the way these other mandos sounded and felt too. Much different.

Combine that with a surprise graduation party my family threw for me that sent some extra cash my way and now I find myself wanting to acquire an arch top sooner than I was planning. Am I crazy? Every time I see a great deal in the classifieds I kind of want to buy it. Especially that used Collings MT. And if that doesn't work out, I kind of want to get an Eastman just to play around with. I mean, sure, it was in the plan eventually, but I didn't think I'd want one so soon...

Don't they make a vaccine for this?? :mandosmiley:

catmandu2
May-27-2009, 3:46pm
Yes, you are crazy. But likely happily so...:mandosmiley: Like you, I have but one fiddle (well, three really, but I only play one) and one upright bass. But I have several bass guitars and dozens of other fretted instruments.

I have speculated before of why it is that many people I know have but one fiddle.. Perhaps we players of fretless instruments are...less crazy..? :whistling:

And yes, there is a kind of vaccine: acquire one of every kind, (and in every color)...

Seriously now...applying some analytical energy to this question, I think that the fretless instruments are stripped down to their essences, in a way. Same with horns for me; when I played saxophone, shiny as they are, I only wanted one--mine. Mandos are perfect for admiring and collecting in their varietal splendor: shapes, sounds, colors.. I mean, you can get the same mando with, say, different fretwire for a very different feel, etc.

Gerry Hastie
May-27-2009, 3:49pm
The F5 style mandolin has a curious power...

Gerry Hastie
May-27-2009, 3:50pm
...I'll be sick until I get one. But it's gonna be good...

instrumentality
May-27-2009, 3:58pm
...I'll be sick until I get one. But it's gonna be good...

Heh...your Eastman 505 is actually one of the models I'm thinking about...I kind of think f-style mandos look weird...of course, that's now. In three months I may "need" one of those too. :-)

Gerry Hastie
May-27-2009, 4:08pm
The Eastman 505 has been a good mando for me. I'm planning to make a serious upgrade to a serious mandolin about the 2-3,000 pounds (about $3,500+) level when I get the money. If you're looking at the 505 and if that's your budget you're as well to play a few if you can, get a good one, if you can and it should see you alright. The other Eastmans (so I hear) are not necessarily better tone-wise.

J.Albert
May-27-2009, 5:46pm
"Don't they make a vaccine for this?"

Yes they do.

The first vaccine is called "Fern" and it helps for a while. Unfortunately, it is on the pricey side and it may eventually wear off.

The second vaccine is called "Loar" and although it generally works longer than any other, it comes with a high price...

- John

Jill McAuley
May-27-2009, 10:22pm
I don't think MAS has gotten me, I KNOW it has gotten me! I got my Weber Aspen in March, and at about the same time ordered a Redline Traveler, which fingers crossed will arrive sometime in the next few weeks, and I'm expecting a Pomeroy A-4 in mid June! Oh, and I'm also on the lookout for a Stradolin to have around as a beater for camping etc. I have no illusions that that will be the end of it either!

Cheers,
Jill

mandolirius
May-28-2009, 4:06am
...and I'm such a newbie I was hoping to avoid it for awhile...

I'm not sure what it is; I don't have fiddle acquisition syndrome. I have a main fiddle that I like, and my grandfather's fiddle that I'm getting restored and will never sell. Maybe it's because mandolin is my second instrument that I don't feel as attached to any particular one, or that I want to play a whole bunch to learn more about them...

It was always the plan to end up with a flat top and an arch top. So I bought a flat top. I like it, I'm learning a lot, it's fun to play. Then I went away with friends and of course, we had to stop and play with all the toys in the music shops. And I immediately became enamored with the arch top, f hole mandos. I love the way my oval sounds, but I loved the way these other mandos sounded and felt too. Much different.

Combine that with a surprise graduation party my family threw for me that sent some extra cash my way and now I find myself wanting to acquire an arch top sooner than I was planning. Am I crazy? Every time I see a great deal in the classifieds I kind of want to buy it. Especially that used Collings MT. And if that doesn't work out, I kind of want to get an Eastman just to play around with. I mean, sure, it was in the plan eventually, but I didn't think I'd want one so soon...

Don't they make a vaccine for this?? :mandosmiley:

You don't need it. You're fine. Oval hole and f-hole mandolins do different things and you really do need both to cover the whole tonal spectrum the instrument has to offer. And it's perfectly reasonable to want an archtop oval as well as a flat top. Starting with an A-style f-hole model is probably smart, but it seems that sooner or later, scroll envy afflicts a great many mandolin players. And you might need a mandola or an OM and maybe a solid body electric too....oh, let's face it - you're doomed. ;)

billkilpatrick
May-28-2009, 5:25am
the allure of scroll is insidious indeed ... you think they're odd ... bizarre looking, silly; superfluous to your needs ... you read all those threads saying they add nothing to the sound of your mandolin and you feel comforted, wise beyond your years; in complete control of your musical destiny. you place your forefinger alongside your nose and with a knowing smile, you nod your head ... "inside knowledge" you think, "one of the select - a cognoscenti, on the inside looking out ..."

and then ... it strikes! the scroll enters your dreams - your every waking moment is filled with visions of curlicues and arabesques - you simply gotta' get one! you weep for the sizeable stash you've already invested in a simple "A" ... you rue the day ... "they're ok" you tell yourself, "it'll do!" - but "scroll! scroll! scroll!!" is all you crave.

this ... is my story ...

Dan Hoover
May-28-2009, 8:35am
they are very pretty..fancy-schmancy...and of course your gonna get one..i'm sure i will too?someday...but high school was such a bore,i was the one always staring out the window...running off to work or a party after school..i had my share of F's..i have a A now,and i'm keeping it...i can't,won't go back right now...doesn't seem right?not fair to my mom/dad...don't give in to temptation,not right away...let it build up,work on you awhile...the dark side is strong...then one day,you will succumb..we all do...

Jim DeSalvio
May-28-2009, 8:44am
Jill and Gianna,

You are both hopelessly addicted. Just give up the fight right now. I have it just as bad, with both guitars and mandolins, so consider yourself lucky!

It is fun, but can get expensive in a hurry. Buy good instruments and try to hang on to them. Trading is a losing proposition (I know), so buy with care.

I have several Eastman mandos and really enjoy them.

Gianna........you NEED an archtop!