PDA

View Full Version : New Mandolin around $500? Any Idea's?

tle24
May-26-2009, 10:49am
I am looking to start playing the Mandolin and wants some input on a decent Mandolin around $500. I play the guitar now and really like the Mandolin. Any help would be great!

MikeEdgerton
May-26-2009, 11:02am
The one I recommend is the Kentucky KM505 (http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=8068).

Jill McAuley
May-26-2009, 11:13am
What kind of music do you want to play? I second Mike's recommendation of the Kentucky KM505. Or if you bump up your budget just a wee bit ($575) you could probably get a Redline Traveler pancake style mandolin. For $599, one of the cafe's sponsers, The Mandolin Store, sells either the Eastman 504 or 505. Good luck in your search and let us know what you get!

Cheers,
Jill

Jim MacDaniel
May-26-2009, 11:20am
If you are OK with a flat-top oval-hole instruments, I second Jill's recommendation for the Redline Traveler (http://redlineresophonics.com/mandolins). A couple other optioms for similar $ include Gypsy Music's Vagabond (http://gypsysmusic.com/vagabond.html), as well as a Big Muddy (http://www.bigmuddymandolin.com/).

NB, since you are aguitar player, it might be good to know that the Gypsy comes with a wider neck as standard, but you can order a Big Muddy with a wide neck, and I suspect you can do so for Redline as well.

tle24
May-26-2009, 11:22am
I like Allison Crouse Union Station, The Isaacs, Nickel Creek mixure. I have some friends that play Gosple Bluegrass. I guess I am more towards Newgrass than hardcore bluegrass. I have been trying to figure out my dad's 4 string tenor banjo. Wow!

acousticphd
May-26-2009, 12:30pm
I third the recommendation for the Kentucky KM505, at least for a new, carved/archtop A5. These are regularly priced at ~$440 on ebay. If you can look and shop for a month or two, you may be able to find a used one (like I did) for less.

In the classifieds right now, there is are a handmade Howard Morris flattop and a handmade Gypsy flattop in the $500 ballpark. The Morris in particular looks very nice to me.

Chris Keth
May-26-2009, 12:45pm
Keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds here. Lots of deal to be had if you're a little bit patient. I would go right for an A-style, since the frilly stuff only drives up the price and doesn't do anything for tone or build quality. You just get more for your money that way.

tle24
May-26-2009, 1:58pm
Thanks for all the request so far! I knew I came to the right website

Capt. E
May-26-2009, 4:10pm
Kentucky 505

man dough nollij
May-26-2009, 4:22pm
If you can get to a store where you can test drive a few, it'd be a big help.

I visited a pretty big acoustic music store that had at least 20 mandolins on the wall last year. Surprisingly, one of my faves was an Eastman 515. A few months later I ordered a 505 from The Mandolin Store for $499, IIRC. It smokes! They vary a bit, so it's best to be able to get the pick of the litter. I've played quite a few $2000+ mandolins that don't have the tone and playability of this one. I feel really lucky.

:mandosmiley:

Jim MacDaniel
May-26-2009, 8:48pm
Here is an excellent mandolin in the classifieds for only $500, a Redline Traveler in birdseye maple (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=34765&query=retrieval).

Andy Alexander
May-26-2009, 9:03pm
I would go for an old Stradolin. There are a few in the classifieds. You should be able to get a good one for well under your price limit. I think they are a much higher quality instrument than some of the asian models being mentioned.

Chuck Naill
May-26-2009, 9:50pm
I would highly recommend that before you buy that you investigate Eastman Strings and their mandolins. These are exceptional values.

John Gardinsky
May-27-2009, 5:43am
tle24- I see you are in Ohio about an hour from me. I would suggest looking on Elderly Instruments website at their new and their used mandolins. They have many of the mandos suggested above. It is even better to make the drive to Michigan and play them in person. John

Tracy Ballinger
May-27-2009, 6:03am
For something close, you could head to Bluegrass Musicians Supply at 1370 S. High St. in Columbus... they usually have a half-dozen or so you can try out.

kristallyn
May-27-2009, 6:25am
I just bought the kentucky km 505, it s my first mandolin and I am quite pleased with it in every way
it also has a fishman pickup because I am planning to use it in my band ..am not good enough yet, but that ll come in time and by then I won t have to buy another mandolin of have a pick up built in this one
mine was a good bargain,it was a demo model and cost me , with fishman pick up 450 euro s

Frank Johnson
May-27-2009, 8:39am
For something close, you could head to Bluegrass Musicians Supply at 1370 S. High St. in Columbus... they usually have a half-dozen or so you can try out.

Do they not have a website? I've searched but can only find their address/location and a few reviews (and a couple of other bluegrass related shops).

I stay away from the Columbus every chance I get, but since I want to see touch and listen to some mandolins I would would make the effort. Seems southeast Ohio isn't very much into mandolins!

I was ready to pull the trigger on a Rover 75 a couple of days ago but had a nagging "small still voice" that said I'd better wait.

tle24
May-27-2009, 9:25am
This is a Gospel Bluegrass Group out in Mechanicsburg, Ohio. They belong to Rosedale FWB Church. I went there for about a year when I live in Hilliard. This is a slow song for them but I still like it. I live close to Lancaster and I don't think they are into Mandolin either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFCgDuVKn8Q

CES
May-27-2009, 10:03am
OP,

I do not disagree with any of the advice above...all I have to add is, as Lee suggested, TRY as many as you can within reason before you begin shopping in earnest. The KM 505 is an excellent mandolin, and especially at that price point, but Kentucky tends to make a slimmer neck profile, as does Eastman. My Flatiron pancake's beefier neck is much more comfortable to me, and I've played a couple of Epiphone MM50s (solid top but laminate b/s) and a Michael Kelly or two that had slightly deeper necks than my Kentucky.

My kentucky sounds great, and the more I've played it the better it's gotten, but I play it now only when I need the F-hole sound b/c the neck's just not as comfortable for me as my other option. As my Kentucky was my only mando for the first 4 years I was playing, and I wasn't really shopping around, I really had no idea there was a better option for me out there in my price range.

If you can play a few and get a feel for what you like, then you can begin shopping in earnest. At that point the only further advice I can offer, regardless of what you buy, is to buy from a dealer who offers set-up in the deal. If you buy used or from a warehouse (ie, Musician's Friend, Guitar Center, etc), expect to put an extra 20-150 dollars into a good set-up. Even if an owner here in the classifieds has had a setup done prior to selling, it may not be right for you...

In general, I think Eastman and Kentucky get the best f-hole reviews in this range; there's some variability from mando to mando, but in general their QC is decent to good. Otherwise, you're looking at a pancake/flattop in American made mandos.

Good luck!! Remember, as long as it's set up you'll probably enjoy it!!