PDA

View Full Version : Short mandolin

Richard Sanabia
May-25-2009, 9:39pm
I enjoy my old Regal mandolin that joins the body at the 10th fret. Makes the mando short, but that is exactly what I like. Does anyone have an idea where I might get another short mando, new or used? The short length seems to make a big difference to me. Thanks!

allenhopkins
May-25-2009, 10:36pm
Strad-O-Lins -- 9th fret, I think.

Richard Sanabia
May-26-2009, 6:29am
Thanks Allen. I see a few on ebay. I got my eyes and ears open. Thanks, Richard

Jim DeSalvio
May-26-2009, 7:20am
If you like short, check out the new Flattop Series from Pomeroy Instruments. These are very compact and play and sound very nice (at least my Ruby does).

Here is a link to the site: http://www.pomeroyinstruments.com/gallery/v/Flat+tops/?g2_GALLERYSID=e1d51e74bfcd7b17940fe05ad96c14a0

Check them out.

mandroid
May-26-2009, 8:45pm
My Leo, a subcompact travel mandolin, is only 20" long overall , 13" scale, a canoe paddle shaped body.

I can, and have, taken it on My bicycle , packed sideways,
with my tent and sleeping bag, lashed across the rear rack.

the Martin BP is about 5" longer.

:popcorn:

Payit Forward
May-26-2009, 9:16pm
I used to have a Mid-Missouri "Kid-mo" mandolin that was quite small and great for travelling. It was a pretty basic mandolin. They are rather hard to find since they were discontinued. Scale length is about 12" and total length is about 20". The "gigbags" are not so hard to find.;)

Richard Sanabia
May-28-2009, 8:19am
That Kid-Mo is pretty neat. I tried one and it was good for such a small size, I recently found an old Antares from the 1980s, with a short, (joins at the 10th fret), and it plays OK. It took a lot of careful work, new nut, strings, and bridge to get it in the "ball park". I was surprised how well it plays after "surgery". I use it at the Friday night outdoor jams. It can rain suddenly here, and this one is "expendable". Stan in Canada is making me a Celtic round hole with the short neck I like so much. I have a Kentucky 172 that sounds clear and bright that I will be selling when the new one comes home.

Jill McAuley
May-28-2009, 10:48am
Pancake style mandolins have pretty short necks - the Flatiron 2M I had was nice and compact that way. Steve over at Redline Resophonics makes new pancake style mandolins.

Cheers,
Jill

John Kinn
May-28-2009, 12:05pm
I have a late forties Gibson A40, short neck, great instrument!

Richard Sanabia
May-29-2009, 8:04pm
Thanks All!

Eddie Sheehy
May-29-2009, 8:22pm
Martin Flatbacks and Bowlbacks - 10th fret. There's a couple in the classifieds - FI.

Eddie Sheehy
May-29-2009, 8:30pm
I got a Katechis & Silber Mandola today with a short neck - joins the body at the 10th fret. Great sound - looks like an old Gibson H1...