PDA

View Full Version : Calton vs. Bobelock vs. Price

banjoboy
May-25-2009, 3:51pm
I know this has probably been discussed. But I'm thinking of a new protective case fop my mandolin.....I know that Calton is great, but I don't know much about the other two. What is your experience. I want something that I can travel with by plane, train, automobile.....

John Malayter
May-25-2009, 7:26pm
I just got a Bobelock fiberglass and its a very nice case. I've had a Calton before and the Bobe is NO Calton but at 1/3 the price unless you really need to carry that anchor around its well worth it. But the new Bobelocks are still pretty expensive but they are well made and hold my Stanley very nicely, so I'll keep it.

dantank
May-25-2009, 9:30pm
You may also want to take a look at the Concord case. http://www.concordgroup.com/06casesmandolin.html

Dan

Greg H.
May-25-2009, 9:39pm
I took my Calton flying at Christmas time (fit nicely in the overhead compartment) which should have caused an carryon issue (if ever one would). When traveling in trains or automobile any should fit easily (unless maybe you've got two people in one of the Smart cars. . ..).:)

Of those three options I'd say either the Calton or the Price would be equally strong followed not too far behind with the Bobelocks. I'd say in the vast majority of situations any of those would do quite well most of the time.

Mike Bunting
May-25-2009, 10:47pm
I ..... you really need to carry that anchor ........

If you mean that the Calton is heavy, I beg to differ. My Calton is lighter than the Loar style case I acquired recently. If you want heavy, try a loaded Calton dreadnaught case!

jim_n_virginia
May-25-2009, 10:59pm
You may also want to take a look at the Concord case. http://www.concordgroup.com/06casesmandolin.html

Dan

That's funny it has a ToneGard holder! LOL! I don't know anyone who takes their ToneGard off and on most people just leave it on. Prett nice looking case though but a bit bulky for me I like the shaped cases.

I have been lusting after a Calton case for a LONG time but I refuse to pay $500.00 for a case. Good Lord I could buy a Flatiron pancake or a Mid-Mo for that much! LOL!

banjoboy
May-26-2009, 12:04am
I know that many would trust the Calton or Price if it had to be checked in at the airport....but what about the Bobelock? Is it any better than a Eastman? What I mean is, is it stronger? Check in worthy?

banjoboy
May-26-2009, 12:42am
Well I've been on the web looking at other cases. What about Golden Gate fiberglass cases. The ad says "Flight Ready". Any more info with regard to fiberglass cases would be appreciated.

grassrootphilosopher
May-26-2009, 2:39am
I want something that I can travel with by plane, train, automobile.....

My educated guess would be that you will need a highly protective case only when you are a working musician and travel a lot by plane or let other people handle your instruments. You will also need such a case when you travel a lot without being a working musician and you take your instrument with you all the time and let other people carry your instrument.

For all other situations a regular case will do fine. You can take a mandolin on board a plane as handluggage, you carry it around yourself, in your car you take care of it, in a train it never leaves you ... so no reason for such a high protective case.

They look nice, they are highly protective, they cost a bit. Itīs all in the choice. Just wanted to express a different opinion.

TNT
May-26-2009, 3:55am
I have a Bobelock with the case cover and there is no way I would check it! They look good but if you look where the neck sits, all that hold it from moving is a velcro strap that doesn't get very tight. I am always afraid of the mando moving enuff to touch the headstock scroll to the side. I have a oblong Bobelock ( looks very similar to a concord) I trust more.