PDA

View Full Version : Great new video camera

Sheryl McDonald
May-21-2009, 6:55pm
Nothing mandolin related here, and NFI. For my birthday, I was given a Kodak Zi6 video camera. It's very similar in size to the Flip cameras, but will record in HD, and this model has a built in USB cable so it plugs in directly to my computer (that means one less cable for me to misplace). The camera uses 2 AA batteries, and connects directly to a TV with included A/V cables. I've tested it -- recording the cats antics, and plan to start recording our band rehearsals next.

For the price (it was on sale at Target for $129) it would make a great tool for recording gigs, lessons, jam sessions, "how did you do that's" and anything else.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/07/kodak-zi6-1.jpg

Jill McAuley
May-21-2009, 10:06pm
Thanks for the heads up about that Kodak, Sheryl. I've been thinking about getting one of the Flip cameras but will look into this one too before I finally pull the trigger.

Cheers,
Jill

mandolooter
May-22-2009, 2:57am
sweeet...and it comes in PINK!
:)):mandosmiley::))

alanz
May-22-2009, 7:33am
I used a Flip Mino HD (high def) camera to document Don Kawalek's mandolin building workshop. It was a pleasure to use, and because it's solid state, there was no concern about sawdust getting into a tape mechanism.

The Flip is smaller than the Kodak, and higher priced, but the quality definately makes it another consideration for an easily pocketable video camera.

Gutbucket
May-22-2009, 3:07pm
I have the Flip and RCA versions of this type of camera. They're really great. Fit in your case compartment, and now there's no excuse not to video record that magical break at your next jam.

Brad Weiss
May-22-2009, 3:16pm
Flip mino for me - got it last week and I'm using it EVERYWHERE. The quality is astonishing, and, like the Kodak, it has the USB plug built-in and A/V cables. Even better, it charges up on bus power, so you never replace the batteries (my favorite feature of any appliance: no batteries needed). Not dissing the Kodak, just equally happy with the mino.

mando.player
May-22-2009, 3:29pm
I've also got the Flip HD and I tried out the Kodak. These are great devices. The only down side is the audio quality. I'm trying to come up with some type of "audio collection cone" with a tripod mount. Something to help focus the mic a bit.

jim_n_virginia
May-22-2009, 4:55pm
WOW! I want one! LOL! Thanks for posting!

I have a big digital movie camera but it's a pain to lug around. This one looks like you could carry it in your shirt pocket!

Sheryl McDonald
May-22-2009, 6:19pm
I have a couple of big digital movie cameras too (actually they aren't nearly as big as they used to be, but compared to the Kodak, they're huge.) You can carry this in your shirt pocket. It's about the size of a medium-sized digital camera.