PDA

View Full Version : alternate tuning

grupopelo
May-20-2009, 7:12pm
will i damage my mandolin by reversing the tuning so that it mimics my guitar?

Chris Keth
May-20-2009, 7:16pm
will i damage my mandolin by reversing the tuning so that it mimics my guitar?

Pretty decent chance of yes, unless you take the time to find string gauges that will do the job. That will, in turn, require you to recut the nut, and recut and intonate a new bridge for those new string gauges.

Better to just learn how to play a mandolin like a mandolin.;) You'll find that tuning in 5ths is much easier and more logical than a guitar's 4ths anyway.

grupopelo
May-20-2009, 8:11pm
i suppose, but the modes on a guitar just seem to make more sense to me (and my fingers).....but i certainly don't want to be thought of as lazy :grin:

Chris Keth
May-20-2009, 8:19pm
You can certainly do it, I just wanted to point out that it's not as quick as just tuning the thing. That tuning will be significantly different than standard and will require, if you want it to sound any good, a custom set of string gauges. You'll have to get it set up for those string gauges. Than you'll have to keep getting those custom sets of strings.

mandroid
May-20-2009, 8:37pm
I'd say you should look at one of those Gold Tone versions of the 6 string soprano guitar Gibson made,
with a mandolin body.. if you want to mimic guitar tuning ..
it's right there where you want to go, a little guitar, just an Octave higher and half as long a string.

Now if the idea is alternate tuning to play fiddle tunes that were composed with that tuning in mind,
then the mandolin may be suitable to those particular alternate tunings .

giving value to the 5ths tuning and the Violin roots of the Mandolin ..

Explorer
May-20-2009, 10:36pm
As someone who just went in the opposite direction (my guitar is now tuned in fifths, low to high CGDAEB), I have to say that modes and scales are now easier than ever.

My instrument has a range of 4.5 octaves compared to the 3.5 octaves of the standard guitar tuning, and I'm considering picking up a 7-string or 8-string guitar to extend that range downwards to either F1 or Bb0. If I limit myself to a baritone 7-string guitar (28" scale length), I can still get the full range of a bass guitar and a six string guitar plus an octave by having the lowest note tuned to E1, low to high EBbFCGDA.

I suggest you consider relearning the modes, or, if you want a taste of how limited a range a four-course guitar-tuned instrument has, you should pick up an inexpensive ukulele. It would be worth $25 for an inexpensive instrument just to give it a workout for a week, and if you get it from a place with a 30 day return policy, you'll have a bit to see if you really can fit what you want into such a range.

Speaking of range, what's the difference? A four-course twenty-fret mandolin-tuned instrument has a range of three octaves and a fourth; the same instrument tuned as the top four guitar strings gives two octaves and a fifth.

Just some thoughts from a guitar player who has now turned completely to the dark side and, with the completion of setup on his twelve string, will have an instrument giving a mandocello and octave mandolin played open, and giving a mandolin and mandola when capoed at the fifth fret....

Chris Keth
May-20-2009, 10:54pm
Here's a nice "FYI". There's a nice string tension calculator here (http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html).

By my estimation, a set of strings that goes .009-.012-.032-.042 would make a good set for what you're wanting to do. The tension is equal to within a couple of pounds across the strings and the total tension is around (slightly lower, by 5 or 6 pounds) what a set of 10s would be on a mandolin.

JeffD
May-21-2009, 8:25am
I use some alternate tunings sometiomes to get an old timey sound, like A E A E, or G D A D, but they don't require different strings.

CES
May-21-2009, 9:00am
If unwilling/unable to learn mando tuning, I would second one of the 6 string mandos, tuned like a guitar, but I started on guitar and still am learning both without too much trouble (other than my lack of talent and old brain)...Keller Williams also used a shorter scale guitar in an alternate tuning (a Godin, I think, but may be mistaken) on his BG album with the Whites to get a mando sound without having to change his fingerings...I think there was an article featuring him in Acoustic Guitar mag. last year (or maybe '07) that listed his gear...

grupopelo
May-21-2009, 9:56am
Here's a nice "FYI". There's a nice string tension calculator here (http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html).

By my estimation, a set of strings that goes .009-.012-.032-.042 would make a good set for what you're wanting to do. The tension is equal to within a couple of pounds across the strings and the total tension is around (slightly lower, by 5 or 6 pounds) what a set of 10s would be on a mandolin.
is it a big deal for a mando to hold a lower string tension?

Dave Hausner
May-21-2009, 10:00am
Do old time mandolin players use cross tunings to match the fiddle?
Dave

JeffD
May-21-2009, 11:50pm

The mandolin is such a small difference that everything seems to make a big difference.

Chris Keth
May-22-2009, 12:48am

If you go too low in tension, and it doesn't take much, it will buzz a lot and have a, for lack of a better description, "twoingy" sound to it and no volume.

kurkomat
Jun-04-2009, 10:12am
Hi folks-

I'm really surprised at some of the replies here. You certainly CAN tune in fourths with success and it's not an uncommon practice. I have had several (and some high ticket) mandos over the years and have had most of them tuned CGDA (high to low.) I haven't had to change string gauges, had any neck issues, volume issues, had to file any nuts, etc. Here is how I was taught-

Top string- Tune from E down a major third to C
Second string- Tune from A down a full step to G
Third String- no change
Lowest String- Tune from G up a full step to A

When you look at it, you're slightly easing tension off of the highest tension strings and are very slightly increasing tension on the lowest tension strings.

I'm in total agreement that tuning is 5ths is the way the mando was designed, gives you the most range, etc. If tuning in fourths gets more guitarists / bassists exploring the wonderful world of mandolin then I'm all for it.

Cheers all.