PDA

View Full Version : EXP75 vs. J75

Kevin K
Aug-11-2004, 1:14pm
Is the EXP's worth the cost? Is there a trade off in tone?

David M.
Aug-11-2004, 1:44pm
If your body chemistry corrodes strings quickly, then the EXP's would have an advantage. I don't have that problem, so I keep the J75's on. I think there is a more muddy tone w/the EXP. I've never taken to them.

John Flynn
Aug-11-2004, 2:04pm
I can't compare the "75's," but I have had a lot of experience with the EXP74's versus the J74s, having had multiple sets of each on my Rigel A+. I do not care for the EXPs. To my ear, they have a too many overtones. They also take quite a while to break in completely. The J74s definitely sound better, IMHO. The EXP's do last a long time, especially in "death sweat" situations. The only time I would even consider another set is if I had some heavy outdoor playing to do in the summer.

Jim M.
Aug-11-2004, 2:22pm
I don't like the EXP's either. Very muddy tone in my opinion, and they seem to lack the volume of the J's.

John S
Aug-11-2004, 2:23pm
They don't make a polymer coating for strings that my oily fingers can't degrade in a day. Seriously, the EXPs don't seem to exhibit any longer life or stay nice and shiny any longer than the regular J75's. But that's probably particular to me. Anyhow, I didn't really notice much of a tone difference between the J's and the EXP's, and after a few days the EXPs seemed broken in much like the J's. So, I'm just sticking with the J75s.

KenR
Aug-11-2004, 3:16pm
MandoJohnny pretty much said it for me. #The Js are brighter out of the package but don't last nearly as long as the EXPs. #I like a dead string sound on my Gilchrist but we have a heavy summer schedule and the J's don't last long enough. #My strategy is EXPs for summer, Js for winter. #The EXPs are worth it if your playing in sweat. #Incidentally, Steffey gets one set out of Js and a whole day out of EXPs. #- #Ken

Lee
Aug-11-2004, 3:33pm
Go to www.blackdiamondstrings.com and check out their black coated mandolin strings. It doesn't appear to be a plastic coating like ESP's. It might be an anodize process which could be rather sweat resistant too. They don't really say what it is.