PDA

View Full Version : a mike and amp recommendation

Nick Royal
May-19-2009, 10:13pm
I realize this has been discussed over the years, but maybe there are some helpful suggestions here. I want to get a mike and a not heavy amp for playing solo mandolin, in such venues like at our local Farmers' Market. I know that Shure makes a not too expensive mike that has been recommended here. How about an amp? It doesn't have to work on batteries because there is access to an electrical outlet. I don't want an amp that's too heavy to carry.
I appreciate suggestions.
Nick in Santa Cruz, CA

mandroid
May-19-2009, 11:41pm
I like the Roland AC 60,
it comes in a closed cell padded gig bag with a shoulder strap so carrying is reasonable .
compact but not a light-weight , as there is a muscular power-supply and hence a heavy transformer, in there.

I have instrument cables and Mic cables in it's accessory pockets and an extension cord coiled under the lid.
stereo : two separate channels, EQ on each + master volume
provides Phantom power for your Condenser mic needs , but you could switch it off,
and use the venerable SM-57 with it.

chorus , reverb/delay, reasonable feedback suppression circuit too.

pole socket in the bottom, to put it up, on a speaker stand.

:cool::whistling:

pops1
May-20-2009, 12:18am
I have an old Trace Elliot, small, light weight, versatile. Has phantom power and plenty of umph to carry a mandolin sound a fair piece at a farmers market. You can find them around for a couple hundred bucks.

Tim2723
May-20-2009, 5:46am
Hi Nick,

Yeah, it does get discussed perenially, but that's because the choices change over time. Among the current offerings, I second the Roland AC 60. Excellent response for mandolins, light (Well, easy to carry. Power is heavy), loud enough, easy to use, and with lots of features for folks in your situation. A great amp for busking at the Farmer's Market, and pairs up well with that Shure mic. In its case, with the mic and cable in the pocket, it's only about 25 pounds. Carry it over your shoulder, the mandolin and mic stand in the other hand, and you're good to go.

Chunky But Funky
May-20-2009, 7:03am
For $399 and 35 lbs, this is hard to beat:

Carvin AG100D (https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=AG100D)

That being said, I just ordered two Fishman SoloAmps. :mandosmiley:

For the mic, I like my MT through a Audio Technica Pro 37 for live stuff. I also like it for a second source with my Bourgeois with a LR Baggs M1. About $150.

Doug

Tim2723
May-20-2009, 7:36am
Very small diversion from topic: Doug, we're all waiting for your review!

I'll bet one of those would work a treat for Nick.

Back to the topic at hand, thanks for your patience.

Chief
May-20-2009, 9:47am
For the amp end of things- if you want a small, light weight amp- that has truly amazing acoustic sound- try an Ultra Sound. They're tiny, but powerful.They come in varying wattage- I have the 100 watt- weighs about 30 lbs. Two channels-one for vocals or whatever- the other for your instrument. Plus built in effects, line out, etc. I love mine. You won't believe the sound!

TonyP
May-20-2009, 9:51am
Another for your consideration is the Mackie SRM 150. It has phantom power to run a condenser mic, has three channels and is smaller than the above amps. Completely self contained, and can be used as a monitor or main, depending on your PA application. Won't handle bass at all, but sounds wonderful for mando and voice. I think it runs about $250. You can put it on the ground or on a mic stand and is a lot more powerful than it looks. I think it's rated at 150w, and is very clean sounding.

foldedpath
May-20-2009, 10:35am
This is a little more expensive than similar options (about $900 USD street price), but an AER Alpha amp (http://www.aer-amps.info/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1&category_id=1&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=93) would be great for this application. Especially if you want to go as lightweight and compact as possible. I've been using an Alpha for times when I want "light reinforcement" at very small gigs, or when I need to be heard in band practice with other, louder acoustic instruments.

It weighs a ridiculously light 15 lbs., comes with a shoulder bag, and has a mic stand socket for getting it up off the ground. About the only criticism I have for the amp is that it lacks a feedback notch filter (parametric EQ), but I'm always using it in that "light reinforcement" role where the volume usually isn't high enough for feedback. If you're mostly playing outdoors without room reflections, this won't be a problem.

Unless you want the visual look of a mic on a stand, I'd recommend using a clip-on mini condenser mic like a K&K Silver Bullet, Audio Technica Pro 35, Audio-Technica ATM350, DPA 4099, etc. This would give you more freedom of movement and you wouldn't have to carry a mic stand.

mandroid
May-20-2009, 12:47pm
Dont own one , but Galaxy Audio has some really small, powerful, PA stuff , their Mini Hot spot ,
smaller than a shoebox is rated at 30 watts.

http://www.galaxyaudio.com/PAs.jsp

they offer a Mic stand with a microphone boom , and a mount for their powered speaker on top.

I expect you could leave the powered mini spot on the Mic stand , and carry it over your shoulder

looks like a dynamic mic is supported , if more than 15v phantom needed
(or 24v for the other slightly larger [pa5xd]powered speaker), you may use a battery powered condenser,

medium diaphragm size, like AKG or Rode , if you want to go with a higher sensitivity microphone

.. don't forget the windscreen for the mic, the foam cover doubles as a bumper if you close mic the soundhole..

Jim Nollman
May-20-2009, 12:55pm
Fishman Loudbox Amp = 24 pounds. Schertler dyn mic = maybe 1 ounce.

I use them together, sometimes for Farmer's market. Great tone. Don't forget to tuner the Loudbox tweeter to your instrument.

Dan_dolin
May-20-2009, 1:28pm
Amen on the Fishman. I use a Shure Beta 57 for the instrument, set the Fishman for proper response, and then use a Beta 58C for vocals usisng the individual controls for vocal mic response. It works great for me and has connections to plug into anything else I may need to play through.

Nick Royal
May-20-2009, 3:10pm
Thanks to all of you for your amp recommendations. I've made some notes, and the ideas I got are very helpful.
Nick Royal

david blair
May-23-2009, 1:07pm
Hey Mando Nick!
David Blair here, from Tahoe. Send a personal message.