PDA

View Full Version : No silly thats NOT a mandolin its a UKE!

MarthaWhitePicker
May-19-2009, 10:02pm
Yes, I did type the above thread title correctly. I have always been a mandolin player and now I have crossed over to the dark side (not Banj*s)

I was rummaging through my Dads instrument collection and found a vintage kamaka ukulele. I found their website and quickly realized they are the "loar" of ukuleles! (wish they were worth the same):grin:

So does anyone have any link or files of Uke chords or bluegrass related uke sound/video files?

Anything would be appreciated.
Signed
I can now finally tell all my non musical friends that I am playing a Uke and not a mandolin. (unless I am playing a mando)

Jim Garber
May-19-2009, 10:24pm
I found their website and quickly realized they are the "loar" of ukuleles! (wish they were worth the same):grin

Maybe Kamaka says that they are the Loar of ukes... I would say that a style 5K Martin is more like the Loar of ukes, certainly proportionately in price.

Starting point for ukes: http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/

mandozilla
May-20-2009, 3:10am
bluegrass related uke sound/video files

Hah! That ain't no part of nothin'! :grin:

~o):popcorn:

Tim2723
May-20-2009, 6:11am
Yeah, not to be a killjoy, but there are other ukuleles that hold the title. But you've got a VERY nice uke there.

I don't know if you'll find any BG related stuff for it, but the uke is starting to make some inroads into the Irish/Celtic world. No matter what, the uke is one of the world's true fun instruments!

wildpikr
May-20-2009, 7:16am
MarthaWhitePicker,

I don't know if you'll find much bluegrass uke out there but if you're interested to see what possibilities there are for the ukelele, look for Jake Shimabukoru (sp?). Whatever the case, have fun!

JEStanek
May-20-2009, 7:19am
There's a Youtube video of Greasy Coat done on a resonator uke you could look at. You could also listen to the Mammals. Ruth Merinda (daughter of Jay Ungar of Ashokan Farewell fame) plays uke on some of their tunes (more folky than BG).
D5V4mtZ-0qg

Here are some other Bluegrass on uke (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=uke+bluegrass&aq=f) youtube videos.

Jamie

Steve Conley
May-20-2009, 7:44am
MarthaWhitePicker,

I don't know if you'll find much bluegrass uke out there but if you're interested to see what possibilities there are for the ukelele, look for Jake Shimabukoru (sp?). Whatever the case, have fun!

Cue obligatory Jake Shimabukuro video that everyone in the world should watch if they haven't already:

puSkP3uym5k

I'm sure you could play great bluegrass or anything else on your uke if you just get to be as good as this guy! :)

Mandophyte
May-20-2009, 8:26am
That is just amazing!

JEStanek
May-20-2009, 8:31am
Jake (MWP and I ;) ) plays Kamaka ukes. He's a remarkably nice guy too. There was a great article in The Fretboard Journal a few issues back on Kamaka Ukulele Company and it covered Jake's relationship with them.

Jamie

actaylor
May-20-2009, 9:34am
Those are great ukes. You might want to check out www.ukuleleunderground.com. It's a good website for beginner lessons, a great uke forum and I believe there's some tab there. Gave my daughter a uke for law school graduation. I have to admit they're fun to play. We even have done a little mandolin/uke duet on "I'll Fly Away". Tons of fun!

mandomansuetude
Jan-19-2010, 2:53am
Just wondering...could a uke be tuned GDAE and used to practice mando chords when sore fingers need a break? Wm

JEStanek
Jan-19-2010, 8:52am
You would likley need to reslot the nut and bridge to accomodate the different gauges. But it can be done. You can get a custom set to strings for mandolin tuning from thinmanmusic.com.

Jamie

Ray(T)
Jan-19-2010, 11:09am
I was thinking the same. Every time I pick one up, rather than using guitar chord shapes, I naturally fall to mandolin shapes. Probably something to do with the fact that I'm used to switching between guitar and mandolin.

John Rosett
Jan-19-2010, 11:18am
As far as bluegrass ukulele, Benny Martin played some fine clawhammer uke on John Hartford's Slumberin' on the Cumberland album.

JMUSIC
Jan-19-2010, 11:46am
My friend, Mick Ayers playing clawhammer banjo uke. You have to get past the silly talk in the beginning but worth it. Mick is a character at the Disney resort and plays clawhammer banjo, fiddle, mandolin, and tells stories and does magic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8VArmmnPTw

Rick Lindstrom
Jan-19-2010, 2:56pm
It never occurred to me before, but since uke uses a re-entrant tuning, it might be a natural for clawhammer. Gotta give that a try!

Rick

CES
Jan-19-2010, 4:37pm
Man, the Uke craze is cracking me up, especially as a guy who got sucked into banjo during it's mini-resurgence after O' Brother. I didn't get into it b/c of the movie, but the timing was about the same, and that soundtrack didn't do anything to dissuade me...

Love the Uke, too, and hope it enjoys it's time in the rotating folk instrument spotlight!! Don't think I'll get sucked into this one, though. I've still got enough to learn on mando to keep me VERY busy, and then there's guitar and banjo...

lespaul_79
Jan-19-2010, 5:37pm
I've been obsessed with ukes for about 6 months.

1) I have mine tuned to 5ths b/c I'm trying to learn jazz on the mando, so it's nice to finger pick the uke. The nylon strings are beautiful.

2) If you want the COLLINGS MT of Ukes........... go here. Perhaps the Blueridge Guitars of ukes. Great reputation and great price...
http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/category.sc?categoryId=3

On UkuleleUnderground.com as mentioned above, players loooooove these solid wood uke. Mainland has a cult following. I have the Mango Pineapple shape (had to get the pineapple............). It sounds so good, great volume, crisp tone for about $200.

Get it nowwwwwwww. Love taking it on hikes and trips. And the tone is awesome.....

Perry Babasin
Jan-19-2010, 6:04pm
Not really bluegrass, but Sara Watkins (great fiddle player BTW) plays uke with Nickel Creek on the cut Anthony...

Perry

Perry Babasin
Jan-19-2010, 6:07pm
I guess turn-about is fair-play, out here in California more often than not people approach me to ask if that thing (F-style mandolin thank you very much) is a ukulele.

Perry

catmandu2
Jan-19-2010, 6:11pm
There's a good reason why ukes are poised to take over the world...scores of mandolinists have succombed to the ubiquitous inquiry: "is that a little guitar?"

Tim2723
Jan-19-2010, 9:08pm
I'm not surprised that the ukulele is poised to take over the world again any more than I was surprised at the original nation-wide fad of the early 20th century. If any instrument should deserve ultra wide spread popularity, it would be the ukulele. What surprises me is that the uke went away at all for a time. I blame Herbert Khaury.

Martin Jonas
Jan-20-2010, 5:00am
Just wondering...could a uke be tuned GDAE and used to practice mando chords when sore fingers need a break? Wm

Yes. I have my (wonderful!) Kala slimline soprano uke tuned GDAE. Works a treat -- when you watch the Youtube clips of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain you may notice that their lead soloist has his uke in GDAE. Also do a search on the Cafe for "Aquila" and you'll get a fair number of previous threads on retuning ukes in fifths (the connection with Aquila is that they have fairly recently brought out a custom set of their nylgut strings intended for mandolin tuning on soprano ukes).

Martin

Charlieshafer
Jan-20-2010, 7:13am
Here's a link to a youtube of my favorite Uke guy, James Hill, who is essentially the Leo Kottke of the uke. James Hill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsOhmN2mpHl) I guess the uke just doesn't get the respect because it's just so small and gosh darn cute.

journeybear
Jan-20-2010, 9:45am
If anyone wonders why mandolinists get The Uke Question so often, take a moment to reflect on how well-known Tiny Tim and "Tiptoe Through The Tulips" were. Over forty years later, people still remember, as if that association were indelibly burned into the collective cultural consciousness. Ever since, any small strummed string instrument seems to be thought of by the uninitiated majority as a ukulele. :disbelief:

That's my theory, anyway, and I'm sticking to it. :mandosmiley:

Northern Pike
Jan-22-2010, 10:31pm
I love the ukulele. But it requires the same physical sacrifice as the classical guitar - NAILS - to bring out its essential voice. Many guys, even if their job did not demand clipped nails, would never grow their fingernails out, for social reasons and/or personal grooming. The felt pick just doesn't get it done for me. Can play rhythm alright w/o claws, but melodies don't sound proper. Kind of like playing a fiddle by dragging a sweat-stiffened sock against the strings.

journeybear
Jan-28-2010, 11:25am
No, no, you don't understand - that IS the proper sound for a ukulele! :))

Just kidding ... really! REALLY!! HONEST!!! :grin:

Toubi Sard
Sep-19-2011, 3:22pm
Hi, I'm new to this site... I play the ukulele but have just got my hands on a Tanglewood bowlback mandolin.
Experience with playing mandolin in my youth left me with an irrational fear of anything with steel strings.
I have decided the tune my mandolin g'C'E'A as a re-entrant ukulele, this is more for instant ability to play scales and chord shapes that are familiar.
I also get the chance to harden my finger tips up.
With time I might re string and use GDAE.
Is there any one else out there tuned to g'C'E'A using really light strings?

Pez D. Spencer
Sep-19-2011, 11:44pm
Ukulele Cosmos is another good uke site, from England.

Michael Richmond
Sep-20-2011, 1:28am
The felt pick just doesn't get it done for me.

For what it's worth, I find that a medium-hardness Wedgie (http://www.wedgie.com/picks_rubber.html) rubber pick works well on my RISA stick uke. I tune the RISA to GDAE and use it as a travel mando... the rubber picks produce a smooth, warm tone.

Geordie
Sep-20-2011, 8:45am
The felt pick just doesn't get it done for me. I play mine with the edge of my thumb. Most folks strum with the back of their middle finger.
I've recently picked up the mando after years of playing the uke, and so now I'm having trouble working with a pick; it's a whole different way of playing!

Mike Scott
Sep-20-2011, 11:45am
There is a uke site www.ukuleleunderground.com that has a forum that contains a wealth of info on getting started on the uke. It is similar (although not as good as here) to the Cafe. You may want to check it out. I have always thought of the Kamaka as the "Gibson" of ukes. There are other "K" brands that rival them too. The uke is a blast to play and is super easy too (especially if you have played guitar). Have fun with it!

Mandoviol
Sep-20-2011, 11:50am

Yes, you can, but not easily using the standard uke strings(!). Aquila makes a set of strings for soprano ukes that are tuned G-D-A-E. And they're pretty cheap, too. I got mine for my Flea through Elderly.