PDA

View Full Version : Did You Ever Regret Selling a Mandolin?

mandozilla
May-19-2009, 2:02am
This is a sister thread to the "Did you ever regret buying a mandolin" thread posted today.

I sold a really great 1982 Kettler KF-5 in 1991 when I quit playing music...I was having a little personal Recession of my own at the time and needed the money.

When I started picking again in 2007, I lusted after that mandolin and beat myself up daily regretting I ever sold it. I was lucky enough to find one a year ago...there aren't very many around...same year, two serial numbers higher, identical in appearance, plays and sounds awesome and I'm a happy camper. This one's a keeper...I'll NEVER sell this one! :grin:

~o):popcorn:

tassiespirit
May-19-2009, 4:06am
Mandozilla,
Yes, I did the most unpardonable sin. I sold my circa 1983 Gilchrist No.125 ( I think from memory) back in 1993. It was one of the earlier one by steven Gilchrist. My then wife (no longer) , made me sell it to finance a move to Tasmania ( Southern most state in OZ). I have regretted it ever since, especially for the price I sold it for too! I fool and his mandolin are soon parted.

Mike Bromley
May-19-2009, 4:33am
I'm in a bind...my packrattery (if I may coin a term) has me holding onto all my mandos. Basically, I know I'd regret selling any one of them. My main axe is my lovely Triggs Hoss knock-off, but I have three other war-worn F's, which, even for sentimental reasons, I just can't seem to part with. The instruments all have souls of their own, and by times, it is good to revisit them and enjoy the differences. I don't listen to my girlfriend...:)

D C Blood
May-19-2009, 6:07am
1. 1934(?) F-7 converted, long neck. John Duffey sold it to me. Loudest mandolin ever. Traded it away badly (nobody's fault but mine:crying:

2. in '71 John Paganoni made me a mandolin, don't remember the number, but an early one. After I moved to Nashville in '74, I had to sell it to pay back rent...:(

3. 1983 Horner I just traded away to Elderly for the Silver Eagle/Angel I have now. (I don't regret getting the Eagle, just having to get rid of the Horner)...:disbelief:

epicentre
May-19-2009, 9:06am
A very nice Gibson A50. It had everything I wanted in an instrument, but the neck hurt my hand.

Considering the junk I've had since then, I'd probably suck up the hurt to have it back.

Toooooooooo late

:crying:

woodwizard
May-19-2009, 9:12am
Nearly all of the many Gibson's I've owned I miss. Some more than others. But I'm happy with what I presently own. :) :mandosmiley:

Denny Gies
May-19-2009, 9:12am
No regrets, I have always been fortunate enough to be able to upgrade. Though I miss the 1916 A-2 that gave a lot of great service it went to a good cause; a 1993 Randy Wood F-5.

Charley wild
May-19-2009, 10:07am
Nearly all of the many Gibson's I've owned I miss. Some more than others. But I'm happy with what I presently own. :) :mandosmiley:

This pretty well sums it up for me. Regret is too strong a word but certainly I miss any nice instrument I've owned mandolin or not. But I'm satisfied with the instruments I have now, including my mandolin.

Clamdigger
May-19-2009, 10:20am
Yep. A Kimble f5 that Butch picked up for me then a Gavin Baird f4 that Gavin custom made for me. Both dumb moves but, Gavin is now making an A5 for me and I can't wait. Clamdigger

JEStanek
May-19-2009, 10:21am
For a while I regretted trading my Eastman 814 but I got a Breedlove KF out of it which I have subsequently traded for a New Eastman 805D (soon to be a discontinued and highly valuable collectable ;) ). I like the new Eastman's radiused board and have other oval hole arch tops. So, no regrets on selling anything. Yet.

Jamie

fatt-dad
May-19-2009, 12:34pm
I'd like my Stiver back for what I sold it for. You know who you are, come on, let me have it back, please. . .

f-d

allenhopkins
May-19-2009, 1:17pm
I'll let you know when I sell one.

Dagger Gordon
May-19-2009, 1:47pm
Don't trade much.

However, I finally decided (after 11 years) that I wasn't crazy on my 1914 Gibson A. I did like the sound but it had tuning issues and wasn't as loud as I wanted, and to be honest I found I wasn't wanting to play it much.

Traded it in when I got a Collings MT which I play much of the time - infinitely more than I bothered with the Gibson.

So certainly no regrets. I'm sure the Gibson found a home where it got the love it deserved.

Glassweb
May-19-2009, 1:56pm
Are you kidding?!?!?! Absolutely!!!!!!!!

Jim MacDaniel
May-19-2009, 2:05pm
Yes: Arches flat-top #13 (pictured below); I miss it dearly.

(But on the plus side, I can buy one of Chris' new induced-arch FT-Ovals for less than what I was able to sell # 13 for ;) (although #13 did have nicer binding than that on the new model, and had some lovely wood on the back and sides as well).

Eddie Sheehy
May-19-2009, 2:05pm
Nope. But I often regretted not buying one....

hlebowi2
May-19-2009, 5:09pm
Yup.
A 1976 (or so) Fender electric Mandocaster I bought new. :crying:
Howard

Lee
May-19-2009, 5:18pm
Kentucky Dawg Mandola A-style. Comfy playing and sweet. My only consolation was it found a better home than I was providing for it.

Charles E.
May-19-2009, 6:19pm
I had a beautiful black top Gibson F-2 with inliad Handel tuning knobs. I had to sell it to pay my 3rd tuition payment when I was in the Instrument making and repair program in Red Wing MN.
Of the various mando's I have traded and sold that is the only one I miss.

John Kasley
May-19-2009, 6:33pm
Definitely regret selling my 30's Epiphone Strand. At the time (late '60s) I thought it was just a poor cousin to a Gibson. Back then, I didn't know the pre-Gibson Epiphone history. It was very clean, wonderful grain and color in the walnut back and sides, good volume and excellent tone. But I needed the money at the time. Would love to have it back. Oh, well.

Jonathan James
May-19-2009, 8:18pm
More than I care to remember...but a few of the more memorable bungles included a '00 Flatiron Festival, a Collings blacktop MT that was a dead-ringer for Tim O'Briens, a great varnish Newson F5 and an outstanding Gibson F5G that I would love to re-find. I curse thee, MAS!

SternART
May-19-2009, 8:36pm
In my quest to experience the many voices if the mandolin there are numerous fabulous instruments I've been temporary custodian of. Gil's, Monty's, Dude's, Smart's, Woodly's, Kimble's, Gibson's etc. I've enjoyed them all and do my best to find great homes for them when I pass the torch to someone else. I certainly have fond memories of several, but love what I have now too!!!

Frank Russell
May-20-2009, 11:07am
Two Old Wave f-hole A's (really dumb), my Collings MT and MF, and the wideneck Gibson F5G that I had radiused. All went to Cafe members, so less tragic than just losing them. There's a good 20 or so that I regret less than the above mentioned ones, but still miss some of them. The Givens I have now dulls the pain quite a bit. Frank

lenf12
May-20-2009, 1:23pm
I had a Kettler blond, birdesye F-5 that was amazing, a 1996 Weber signed F5G that is probably the best sounding mandolin I ever owned, an atomic sunburst Rigel A Plus Deluxe and G110. All beauties and sadly all gone to keep a roof overhead, pay credit card gougers and put food on the table. I've sold many more mandolins but the above are the only regrets.

Hey Clamdigger, I sure do miss those Naragansett Bay bi-valve mollusks. Little necks anyone??

Len B.
Clearwater, FL (formerly of North Providence, RI)

Rick Schmidlin
May-20-2009, 3:41pm
A MT and Cedar Weber I think

DerTiefster
Feb-12-2010, 12:53pm
I'm surprised this thread died out so quickly: a 2-day run last May and then nothing more. I have no mandolin sales as yet to regret, but I did lose one I lent to someone (a fellow church member who wanted to learn mandolin). She died in an auto collision and I never retrieved the mandolin. It was an Epiphone BG-440 that I used to play at for my Mom after she suffered a stroke. But I'm working on another to take its place. At least if I eventually sell that one, it will be by choice. When I found this thread, I thought it might be worthwhile to resurrect it.

catmandu2
Feb-12-2010, 1:06pm
How about this corollary:

Would you trade your dog for that mando you traded away and would like back? ;)

Glassweb
Feb-12-2010, 1:29pm
I have and I am about to... helas!

Fliss
Feb-12-2010, 1:44pm
I regret selling my Calace. I'll get another, one day :)

Fliss

JGWoods
Feb-12-2010, 1:48pm
Definitely regret selling my 30's Epiphone Strand. At the time (late '60s) I thought it was just a poor cousin to a Gibson. Back then, I didn't know the pre-Gibson Epiphone history. It was very clean, wonderful grain and color in the walnut back and sides, good volume and excellent tone. But I needed the money at the time. Would love to have it back. Oh, well.

I had a Strand as well- let 50s oval hole. It was a wonderful instrument, lovely walnut as you said, the only think I didn't like was the neck angle made it hard to hold.

In some ways I regrest selling anything ever, but if I take the time to appreciate those things I have now as a result, and what I learned along the way, I have no regrets.

JGWoods
Feb-12-2010, 1:50pm
I'm surprised this thread died out so quickly: a 2-day run last May and then nothing more. I have no mandolin sales as yet to regret, but I did lose one I lent to someone (a fellow church member who wanted to learn mandolin). She died in an auto collision and I never retrieved the mandolin. It was an Epiphone BG-440 that I used to play at for my Mom after she suffered a stroke. But I'm working on another to take its place. At least if I eventually sell that one, it will be by choice. When I found this thread, I thought it might be worthwhile to resurrect it.

I loaned a couple of instruments to a good old friend- then his house burned down with them it it. He wasn't insured and lost everything. I didn't have the heart to ask him to replace my lost instruments...

MoBob
Feb-12-2010, 1:54pm
Yup,
A Gilchrist.
One of the very first that was sold by Gruhn's in the early 1980's. Sold it in 1986, for $1600. Divorce can play hell with a musician's stuff.:( Always regretted letting that one go, but not the wife.;)

Jim MacDaniel
Feb-12-2010, 4:49pm
How about this corollary:

Would you trade your dog for that mando you traded away and would like back? ;)

Nope - although I would gladly part with a cat for one. ;)

Hans
Feb-12-2010, 5:01pm
Yes.

yankees1
Feb-12-2010, 5:09pm
No, but I regretted buying one!

Eddie Sheehy
Feb-12-2010, 5:10pm
I've regretted selling/trading each one... but being a catch-and-release guy it's what I do...

Nelson Peddycoart
Feb-12-2010, 5:30pm
Yes...A Weber Yellowstone Cedar top. It had found it's voice, and I thought I could do better. I still miss it.

Lee
Feb-12-2010, 6:00pm
What else hurts is returning a mandolin before the trial period is over. True, some are definately not Keepers. But it's the ones on the cusp that I think back on and wish I'd kept. Many mandolins I have judged as "great, except...", and these are the ones I think of as the cusp mandolins. As time passes, I forget about the "except..." part of my evaluation and just the good memories remain. Then I wish I'd kept them.

Roland Sturm
Feb-12-2010, 6:15pm
No, never. Instead, I'm looking forward to being able to try something new, which is far more interesting than reliving the past, often a sign of impending senility.
Of course, many nice instruments left, in the mando world a Collings last month and probably a Sam Bush soon, but they make room for others (in this case an Ellis Deluxe). Sometimes I just lose interest in a type of instrument, so that's why my 60's 335 and Strat went out. Don't miss them either.

Greg H.
Feb-12-2010, 7:38pm
Yes, but just one. I had an Apitius that both felt great and sounded like a dream. The varnished Prucha is still better than any of the ones I've had in the past, but.......

Walter Peterson
Feb-12-2010, 11:16pm
Sold an old Amercan Conservitory, Wish I still had it.

jim simpson
Feb-12-2010, 11:23pm
I'm not sure if I regret so much selling particular mandolins as much as I am curious to see what my impression of a couple would be today so many years after letting them go. My skill level and ear for what I think is good are both different from when I sold or traded off a couple. Maybe it would be like going to a high school reunion and getting reaquainted with old friends!

GRW3
Feb-13-2010, 1:05am
I regret it before I part with it but not after. I think that just a mechanism I use to prevent compulsive buying.

KirkwoodCowboy
Feb-13-2010, 7:01am
I had a 1914 black F-2 i purchased at Gruhns on our honeymoon that i liked a lot. I traded it for my Gilchrist but sometimes i do miss the F-2.

Nick Gellie
Apr-04-2014, 12:41am
Of course, but I replaced it recently with an equivalent one. A Black A4 with a Black A2Z. Thanks Mike.

JeffD
Apr-04-2014, 1:04am
I have sold two instruments, ever. And while I miss them I have no regrets. The Stefan Sobell bouzouki wasn't getting played, and the new owner loves it. And the Flatiron mandola wasn't seeing a lot of use and now it is played regularly, and sounds wonderful.

Richard58
Apr-04-2014, 1:08am
I regret selling an old Gibson snakehead to purchase a violin, but at the time the snakeheads were going for around $600.00 and easy to find. Where have they all gone? At the time I was into fiddle fever I guess since that's the instrument I'm best on.

jmagill
Apr-04-2014, 6:45am
I once owned a pair of Monteleone Grand Artist mandolins – an f-hole and an oval-hole.

When my band broke up (I was the mandolin player), I refocused on guitar, and I sold both of them to help meet the needs of my growing family. It was the right thing to do and I'd do it again.

Since they're now worth about eight times what I paid, it would be nice to have kept them as assets, but instruments are more valuable to me for the joy I get playing them.

I don't regret selling them, but the oval-hole was my favorite of all the mandolins I've owned, and I do miss it.

I named it "Thistle." I've kept in touch with its current owner over the years, and he still calls it that:

JEStanek
Apr-04-2014, 9:37am
Yes and no. I occasionally regret selling my Eastman 814 since it's what I would want in an F shaped mandolin. But, no regrets. I'm very happy with the mandolins I have now. The ones I would like to add are more oddities (commodium and banjo mandolin).

Jamie

jaycat
Apr-04-2014, 9:53am
No but I sure do miss my 60s Melody Maker

I see they are going for upwards of $1500 these days. I think I paid $50 for it in the early 70s.

fatt-dad
Apr-04-2014, 10:05am
I kind of regret sellling my Stiver. It was an a-model from '97. I bought it at auction at a time when I was horse-trading all sorts of instruments. Saw an opportunity to make some cash and took it. Knowing that the buyer now says it's the best Stiver he's owned and will never part with it. . . Well, that's great for him. But, what about me?!?

In truth, I'm really glad it's in good hands. It was a great instrument though.

I have no regrets though. In many respects I'm blessed to have the instruments that I have. They do bring much joy to my life.

f-d

Jim Garber
Apr-04-2014, 11:33am
Did I Ever Regret Selling a Mandolin? Nah! I usually sell one (or more) to get a better one or pay for restoration. I sometimes regret not selling one but usually when I have the chance these days I do it.

pheffernan
Apr-04-2014, 11:45am
Wait, you can sell these things?!?

Clement Barrera-Ng
Apr-04-2014, 11:47am
I've gone through a lot of instruments over the years, and one that comes up in my mind often and one that I wish I hadn't sold was a '24 A-Jr. It was the ugliest thing you ever seen: a big repaired crack down the front, and most of the finish was well worn off. The intonation was also a bit off due to the incorrectly cut fingerboard. But it had the best oval tone I ever heard, and it sounded almost like an A5/F5. I've thought about tracking it down now and then, but in the end I've made peace with letting it go and moved on. You just can't keep 'em all.

pheffernan
Apr-04-2014, 11:51am
I've gone through a lot of instruments over the years, and one that comes up in my mind often and one that I wish I hadn't sold was a '24 A-Jr. It was the ugliest thing you ever seen: a big repaired crack down the front, and most of the finish was well worn off. The intonation was also a bit off due to the incorrectly cut fingerboard. But it had the best oval tone I ever heard, and it sounded almost like an A5/F5. I've thought about tracking it down now and then, but in the end I've made peace with letting it go and moved on. You just can't keep 'em all.

Its twin is at Elderly: http://elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-6549.htm.

dulcillini
Apr-04-2014, 11:56am
I regret every single sale I made, in the sense that I always wanted to keep the mandolin I was trading in. I started out with a Weber Aspen, moved up to Weber Yellowstone, then Collings MF5. I wanted to keep the first two mandolins and still get the next level. Alas ! Would love to have all three, but such is the price for moving up. I doubt if I go beyond the current Collings MF5 though. It is a fabulous instrument.

bratsche
Apr-04-2014, 2:09pm
I kinda miss my Mid-Mo M-11, even though I have a mandola like it now. Should have held onto it. Silly me.

bratsche

mandroid
Apr-04-2014, 2:10pm
some times .. the CF Martin Taterbug was unique ..

Jim Garber
Apr-04-2014, 2:32pm
it is nice that this thread is revived after started about 5 years ago... certainly a subject that bears repeating...

Steve Ostrander
Apr-04-2014, 2:33pm
I regret selling my '68 SG and my '68 Rickenbacker 4001. I probably should have kept my recent MT. But I'm happy with what I've got.

johnbaxter
Apr-04-2014, 5:02pm
I regret selling my Givens, the first quality mandolin I owned. But, I no longer play mandolin due to arthritis in my left hand, so if I still owned it, I wouldn't be able to play it.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Apr-04-2014, 5:38pm
Its twin is at Elderly: http://elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-6549.htm.

Thanks Pat. I saw that a few days ago and it did remind me of the one I had. Can't quite decide which one looked more beat up. Here's mine:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll312/voipsoapbox/1926%20Gibson%20A-Jr/AJr_scaled_zpsd8baea5f.jpg

On the other hand, mine cost less than half of the one at Elderly, so it was easy for me to put up with the imperfection.

Charlieshafer
Apr-04-2014, 5:54pm
Nope, not for me. I've had some very nice ones which I miss, but there always seems to be something very tempting right around the corner. What I have now I like more than what I had before, so no regrets. Well, I regret not having the cash for a whole bunch of super ones, but that's not the issue here..

Larry S Sherman
Apr-04-2014, 6:09pm
I recently listed a mandolin but couldn't part with it in the end. I know I would have really regretted selling it.

Larry

sgrexa
Apr-04-2014, 8:00pm
One of many, many.....Kimble F5 #24

Cheryl Watson
Apr-04-2014, 8:26pm
One of many, many.....Kimble F5 #24

Oh, DANG!!! That was a real purdy mandolin---:grin:

tburcham
Apr-04-2014, 10:37pm
Yes, in one way or another, I miss certain aspects of all of the mandolins I have sold. Top three I miss the most: honey amber Weber Yellowstone, Gloss finished Breedlove FF with AAA Flamed maple back, and finally a great sounding Kentucky KM 1000.

Phil Goodson
Apr-04-2014, 10:39pm
No. Not really.
I've been lucky enough not to have to sell a mandolin till I've found one that I really like better and would cause the old one not to get played very often.

John Soper
Apr-05-2014, 8:59pm
Mandolins (& guitars) are kinda like busses- you can always catch another one at the next corner... Or regret missing the one that got away. Life is too short, and there are too many great mandolins out there.

Pete Braccio
Apr-05-2014, 10:26pm
The biggest regrets (instrument speaking) were selling an Ovation 12 string Deacon electric guitar AND a Fender Silverface Twin Reverb for $200 in 1995. I had two young kids, was moving, and thought that I was not going to ever play anything again.

Pete

Tiderider
Apr-06-2014, 12:11am
Sold off my very first mandolin..Kalamazoo KM-11..should have kept that one. Bought a nice Weber Diamondback a couple of years ago for my birthday, a few months later the seller asked to have it back, I should have kept that one as well. Fortunately there is always the next one....thus I move forward.

John Rosett
Apr-06-2014, 9:36am
This 1985 Flatiron A-5 Artist that I won in the Frets Magazine giveaway. I succumbed to scroll fever, and traded it away for a custom Yellowstone. I would pay dearly to get it back...117758

Gene Summers
Apr-06-2014, 9:49am
I regret selling my two Gibsons, a 1996 Steve Weber signed A5G, and a 1999 (Derrington era) Nashville F5G, that was a CANON! Both of them I bought new. I later sold them to fund another hobby, Ham Radio, which I have enjoyed tremendously. Still, I am very pleased with the two mandolins I currently have. ~o)

sgarrity
Apr-06-2014, 11:44am
Not really because every time I've sold something it's been replaced with something as good or better. The only one I wish I had back was a Red Diamond F5.

Jim
Apr-06-2014, 11:59am
The biggest regrets (instrument speaking) were selling an Ovation 12 string Deacon electric guitar AND a Fender Silverface Twin Reverb for $200 in 1995. I had two young kids, was moving, and thought that I was not going to ever play anything again.

Pete
Wish I'd been around for that twin reverb at that price.
I really don't miss any instruments I've sold. I usually sell them either because they don't fit my needs or I just don't like 'em. I do regret not buying a few over the years:confused:

banjer23
Jan-25-2016, 4:34pm
Yup,,,going through a divorce around 2001 and needing money,,I sold my '85 Stiver,,it had matured into a beast,,sold it to a Gent in Pennsylvania,,wish I had it back for sure,,but,,I think it got a good home.

ollaimh
Jan-25-2016, 5:43pm
har har har de har

ollaimh
Jan-25-2016, 5:46pm
the har de har is for allen hopkins. but i sold a brazillian rosewood flat back and flat top(adirondack spruce, with lots if binding, by perfektone for a few hund red dollars. i learned years later it was made by the styathoupoulo family. should have put the cash in and fixed it to top condition. it sounded great but i didn;'t want to spend a dime at the time.

Jill McAuley
Jan-25-2016, 5:51pm
I regret selling my Weber SE/Gallatin oval F. Sold it to move up the mandolin food chain when I bought a Weber Vintage A (which was later sold for a Mike Black A4 and Hilburn A5). Still wish I had that Gallatin. Don't even think the person who bought it plays the damn thing either....

mandroid
Jan-25-2016, 6:06pm
I have fond memories of my A 40... but I was not selling it to pay for a Divorce , (I've Never Married)

I had just been more into my Older A, in the time I had it it gained value,
over what I scraped together to buy it .

Timbofood
Jan-25-2016, 6:06pm
Every one of them!
Should have kept the red Harmony, the KM-11(?), the A-40, the Stiver
Hindsight is SO 20/20!
Oh well, live and learn, die and forget it all.

But, on a side note, I can only play one at a time and the Alvarez has served me far better than I had originally expected! Pleasant in all weather, no complaints.

Demetrius
Jan-25-2016, 6:28pm
A prototype Gibson DMM "Derringtons"
And a Brentrup F-5C

WW52
Jan-25-2016, 6:57pm
I wish I still had my Martin style C.

mandobassman
Jan-25-2016, 7:14pm
When I first started playing mandolin in 1976, the first mandolin I owned was a Orpheum f-hole that I played for about a year. The second was a 1924 Gibson A snakehead. I've played many old Gibson A's over the years but that one was the strongest sounding one i've ever played. I had it until around 1998 when I sold it to pay off some debt. In the end, the amount I got for it didn't make much of a dent in my debt and I ended up losing a mandolin that I regretted selling the minute it left my hands. I've wondered many times recently just where it is and who is playing it.

Kip Carter
Jan-25-2016, 9:35pm
I had done a lot of my own setup work on an inexpensive Ibenez A acoustic / electric that was my first mandolin when I discovered that I still could play guitar. (long story) The mandolin sat unused for extended periods of time and I had my eye on another guitar purchase that I 'had' to make, so I sold it. Well the guitar I bought I soon realized was a mistake and I missed terribly talk about sellers remorse! November I cured that by picking up my Eastman 515 and so all is better now.

Dave Greenspoon
Jan-25-2016, 10:00pm
Stephen Sauvé in North Adams took a meh Michael Kelly F-4 and transformed it into an excellent mandolin. At one point I thought I wanted a big octave and traded it straight up. It was a fine octave...but I don't miss it. I sorta wish I had that F-4 around.

Petrus
Jan-25-2016, 10:43pm
Frequently. But everything I've owned has been so low-level I feel embarrassed getting into the details after reading some of the stories on this thread. The most recent one was the best I've had, and I just shipped it out today ... an Eastman MD-505, sold 'cause I need the dough more. I swore -- shaking my fist towards the sky like Scarlett O'Hara at the end of Gone With the Wind, lol -- that one day I will have an even better one! :cool:

Reading the stories on this thread does somewhat relieve the pain.

fatt-dad
Jan-25-2016, 11:15pm
My Stiver too! Nut was narrow, but wow!

f-d

F-2 Dave
Jan-26-2016, 12:29am
Did I ever regret selling a mandolin? Oh yeah. Traded, actually. 1934 Gibson A 1. (ff holes, not oval) essentially a very early A 50. Just a good sounding, playing all around kind of mandolin, with mojo to spare. I'm sorry I let it go.

Petrus
Jan-26-2016, 1:10am
It seems like a lot of these regrets I'm reading have partly to do with the circumstances surrounding the sale of an instrument. Often a divorce or other financial setback is a motivating factor, or else some medical issue limiting one's ability to play. The negative context certainly contributes to the regret. I've had to sell my Eastman to help fund "Burning Mom," for instance. I'm not crying over it though, as it's a sacrifice I gladly make.

I am a little ashamed to confess that I have also smashed more than one instrument to bits in a fit of pique. Don't worry, none of them were valuable and all were close to unplayable (the main reason for the smashing.) Usually I salvage the fittings afterwards (tailpiece, tuners, bridge.) :redface:

Dave Hanson
Jan-26-2016, 3:03am
I sold my Fylde to a good friend and everytime I hear him play it I regret selling it.

Dave H

Shelagh Moore
Jan-26-2016, 5:38am
A Martin A is used to have yes, the others, no.

jmagill
Jan-26-2016, 7:22am
I had stopped gigging full-time and the kids started coming along and we needed money for them. I had gone back to playing mostly guitar, so I decided to let the mandolins go.

I had a Monteleone Grand Artist that John had made for me, which is currently for sale at Carter's (http://www.cartervintage.com/mandopage/mandopage.html#montelGA), and a second Grand Artist with an oval-hole, a 15-fret neck and an elevated fingerboard. Back in 1982, I'd never seen a mandolin like it, and even now, 15-fret ovals, sometimes called 'hybrids,' are fairly scarce. I'm not sure if John made any others like it, and if it's not one-of-a-kind it's certainly very rare. It also sounded like nothing I have heard before or since.

I sold it to a friend and we've kept in touch, so these are his photos. Selling it was the right thing to do at the time, and I'd do it again, but I sure do miss it, and I've been trying to find it's equal ever since.

It's still my favorite mandolin, yet, knowing how time and affection can exaggerate one's memories, I wish it didn't reside 1500 miles away because I'd love to play it again sometime to see if my Heiden Heritage Model F5 (http://www.magills.net/HeidenF5.html) has now replaced it in my affections.

143100 143101 143102

darrylicshon
Jan-26-2016, 8:08am
I regret sell all of them tho none costing anywhere near as much as most in this thread. I have owned hundreds of instruments since i started playing music , Always seem to need money so i sell something, in the 90's i had a great jod traveling and i always bought an instrument in almost every city i worked. When i quit i had around 70 different instruments mostly guitars , all my friends thought i was crazy for buying so many. Well it ended up they all blew thier money on partying and i had bought instruments so when we all quit working for that company they where broke but i had way too many instruments i've sold alot of them since but I am again getting too many instruments i'm close to 60 , i just sold a guitar body last week that i took the neck off and made a body for it and miss it already. In the long run i have had the pleasure of owning and playing some great some not so great instruments and will end up selling and regretting and buy many more , i hope

mandolindude04
Jan-26-2016, 8:44am
I sold an Epi this last year on ebay and now I kind of wished I had kept it. It was an F style I bought from Guitar Center after I gave away a Johnson mandolin to one of my kids. The Johnson was my first in 2004 when I thought I would branch out and try another instrument after playing the Guitar for a number of years. All in all though I haven't owned many instruments. I never saw the sense in having instruments in the closet that never get played. My current inventory is a Casio keyboard, Alvarez dreadnought, Breedlove Crossover, a cheap uke, a Trombone, and a guitar I will probably never part with. It's a Hopf that my father bought in 1955 in Munich Germany. He taught me my first guitar chords in the sixties on that one back when we lived in Kansas City and were poorer than church mice. The bridge fell off, and the wood cracked on it, so I did some repair work and got it playable again. I play it when my fingers are sore after playing three church services on Sunday and picking another three hours or so on Sunday evening with the Crossover or the Alvarez as it's easier on my finger tips! But yeah, I get it with the stories about letting instruments go to put food on the table, and relationships that go south....Been there done that. But if we didn't live the blues, we wouldn't be able to play them now would we? I always get a kick out of going to a club and seeing some fourteen year old boy singing a Delta blues song about lost love etc, and I'm thinking, kid you haven't been around long enough to even get the courage up to ask a girl out!

Steve Ostrander
Jan-26-2016, 9:08am
The only one I regret selling is my MT a few years ago. I didn't need to sell it so I'm not sure why I did....I think I felt guilty about having too many instruments, if you can believe that. Someday I'll get another one, but it will be an MT2.

The other regrets are not mandolins. I sold my '68 Rickenbacker 4001. It was a beautiful instrument. What was I thinking? Also my '68 SG. I had just gotten married, thought I was giving up gigging, and I needed the money. Sigh.

Amanda Gregg
Jan-26-2016, 9:32am
Hmmmmm all these posts regretting getting rid of a Stiver makes me think I should hang on to mine. I've been thinking of chucking it for a while....

Shelagh Moore
Jan-26-2016, 9:47am
While I only regret selling the Martin A amongst my mandolins, I regret selling several guitars including a Manson Kingfisher, Guild D-25, Gibson J-45, Lakewood M-18, 1980's Flambeau (Japanese-made, Lowden-designed) and a Taylor T5. But you know how it is....!

theCOOP
Jan-26-2016, 9:50am
S e l l ??

What is this?

red7flag
Jan-26-2016, 2:36pm
Unicorn A model. Not high priced but great sounding instrument.
Collings MF Sold to a friend for a Collings MF5 which was more refined and not as satisfying and no longer mine.
Weber Vintage A Great instrument, much like the Unicorn but richer sound. Sold to buy an Gibson F4 sold to buy the Hester F4.

Bill Kammerzell
Jan-26-2016, 3:18pm
Only recently, I wished I'd never sold an Alvarez A-700, I bought in 1978 and sold in 1993. Until 6 months ago, when I started playing again, I had never thought of it, but recalled how much I had liked it. Sold it basically for extra cash to finance a move and never picked up an instrument again until August of 2015.

Danny Clark
Jan-26-2016, 3:23pm
I don't know where to start on this one!!!
Danny

jimbob
Jan-26-2016, 3:55pm
I have only sold 2. One was a Washburn Jethro Burns and one was a 1998 Weber Yellowstone. No regrets about the Washburn...wouldn't mind still having the Yellowstone. It was a very nice mandolin.

Eddie Sheehy
Jan-26-2016, 4:21pm
Just two... a Mix F4 with artwork by Peter Cree and a Rigel G110 Resonator.

allenhopkins
Jan-26-2016, 5:04pm
I'll let you know when I sell one.

Bumping my Post #17 from seven years ago.

Still holds true.

Bob Borzelleri
Jan-26-2016, 6:51pm
No. At this stage of my life, regret is counter productive.

red7flag
Jan-26-2016, 7:21pm
Unicorn A model. Not high priced but great sounding instrument.
Collings MF Sold to a friend for a Collings MF5 which was more refined and not as satisfying and no longer mine.
Weber Vintage A Great instrument, much like the Unicorn but richer sound. Sold to buy an Gibson F4 sold to buy the Hester F4.

The A I called a "Unicorn" was actually a "White Dove" from Texas. My memory was defective.

Timbofood
Jan-27-2016, 2:52pm
Willkamm,
I will never part with my Alvarez, not for love nor money! It has served me well since the day in '75 when I had a phone call that it had arrived! Replaced frets now and then, lots of strings, swapped out for an ebony bridge but, it's been a trusted friend for all these years. Others have come and gone but, I'm keeping that one.

banjer23
Apr-24-2017, 4:10pm
Early 80's Stiver kept it for 16 years,,divorce got it,,sold to a gent in Pennsylvania I believe,,gosh,,it was the best mandolin I ever owned,,,beast,,,would love to have her back,,I hope shes still in good hands,,

pheffernan
Apr-24-2017, 6:01pm
Early 80's Stiver kept it for 16 years,,divorce got it,,sold to a gent in Pennsylvania I believe,,gosh,,it was the best mandolin I ever owned,,,beast,,,would love to have her back,,I hope shes still in good hands,,

Yeah, but do you ever regret buying Doyle Lawson's Passernig F5? :grin:

Luna Pick
Apr-24-2017, 6:51pm
No regrets because in the moment each time I felt it was the right decision. I do kind of wish I still had my 2001 Bush F5, but it went to a good home. And I still have 2 A-5s I like.

Demetrius
Apr-24-2017, 7:58pm
Id have to say parting with this one hasn't settled with me yet. 5 years later!!!

Atlanta Mando Mike
Apr-25-2017, 5:31am
What mandolin is that Demetrius? Can see the headstock.

G7MOF
Apr-25-2017, 5:48am
I sold a Gibson A2 quite a while ago. It was a cannon and real easy to play with a really beautiful sound. Any way, you can't cry over spilt milk!!!

Demetrius
Apr-25-2017, 8:27am
It was the prototype of the prototype #1 gibson distressed mastermodel.
It was Derringtons and had no label and no pickguard which I later then added.

MontanaMatt
Apr-25-2017, 9:25am
Regret parting with my first mando, a clunky GoldTone. Had it refretted with stainless, but the kicker was a Dawg signature that I had French polished. Now I have a kid that's in love with picking and would have loved to have him cut his teeth on my old learner...I guess he's probably going to start on nice gear thanks to my music addiction! He's on a six string uke now, and when it stops banging on the floor he'll get a mando. He's only two.

MikeZito
Apr-25-2017, 9:46am
I had a 1920's Martin Style 20 that was a sentimental favorite, but the real killer was a Rigel R-100 Custom - it was the first 'white/creamora' that Rigel ever made (Peter Mix gave me the heads up on it, and even wrote me a Letter of Authenticity for it). I had to sell both when finances got really tight. If anyone has that first R-100, PLEASE SELL IT BACK TO ME!

Chuck Leyda
Apr-25-2017, 9:50am
Regret is maybe a strong word but I miss my Gibson F5G. Over the years I just realized that I was much more comfortable on a wide nut mando and the Gibson was a skinnier than normal speed nut. It's strange the things that make a difference. For the life of me I can't feel the difference between a flat or radius fretboard but a wider nut I can really feel.

I knew I wouldn't have enough money to replace it with a comparable F style. I got a great deal on a very nice A style but do have just a bit of scroll envy.

Steve Ostrander
Apr-25-2017, 10:23am
I miss my MT. It was the first really good mandolin that I owned. I sold it because I thought, who needs four mandolins? So I sold two of them. WHAT WAS I THINKING??

Jim Garber
Apr-25-2017, 10:55am
Re: Mandolins...

In my early days I was a serial mandolin owner, primarily because I just didn't have a lot of cash to spend on multiple instruments so selling one allowed me to move up to the next. The last of that series is my black '23 snakehead A2 which I till have and play often.

Other than that the only instrument I seriously regret selling was my '48 Gibson SJ. I sold it to a guy who was a true jerk about it every step of the way. I may not have felt so bad selling it if it were not for the unpleasantness of the transaction. The upside is that I have since replaced it with even a better guitar.

Denny Gies
Apr-25-2017, 11:07am
Yea, I had a 1916 Gibson A 2 that I wish I still had.

dhergert
Apr-25-2017, 11:32am
I learned my selling-regret lessons with my Banjo Acquisition Syndrome. Haven't sold any mandolins, I doubt if I ever will. My kids can sell my collected instruments after I'm done with them, if they wish to.

The first mandolin I ever touched, being probably at the age of 4 or 5, belonged to my grandfather, it was a teens Gibson A-something model. Beautiful. Austere. Mystical. Magical.

It might still be in the hands of someone in my family somewhere. I never owned it to be able to sell it, but it called to me.

Billgrass
Apr-25-2017, 11:58am
yes.

MikeZito
Apr-25-2017, 12:04pm
Demetrius - forgive me if i seem to be 'rubbing it in' . . . but, damn, that thing looks sweet!

ukrobbiej
Apr-25-2017, 12:28pm
Yes, my Weber Bitterroot Mandola. Only had it a couple of months, had to sell it to pay for a house move, but desperately wish I hadn't needed to, it was a beautiful instrument.

Robbie

Demetrius
Apr-25-2017, 7:08pm
Mike, It looked sweet, it sounded sweet and yes thank you for rubbing it in lol...
I had a Dude after that and now I have a Gil 5 so I won't complain.

They're all beautiful in their own way. Oh yeh! I had a Brentrup F5-C and a Wiens F-5 too and I regret parting with those as well. I regret pretty much everything having to do with ever selling a mandolin. hah

red7flag
Apr-25-2017, 7:30pm
] had an Ellis F5 and decided that I wanted a Gibson MM. At that time, I found a Ricky Skaggs DMM that I bought. I put the Ellis up for sale. After a period of time, I found that I found the thin neck of the RSDMM irritating. During a drive back from Nashville, I got second thoughts and called the person who had the Ellis F5 sale and found that the Ellis had just sold. I was stricken. I decided to put the RSDMM up for sale and ask Tom Ellis to make me a new F%. I do regret selling the first Ellis, but actually have a new F5 that really fits my playing better. So, a mistake turned out well, if an expensive well.

Chris Daniels
Apr-25-2017, 8:58pm
They don't compare to any of the real lost treasures mentioned so far but every mandolin I've sold. Sure, one was an unplayable Kentucky 150 and another a Rogue RM-100A I took out of the box once, but the beautiful Korean-made used Epiphone MM30 (sold for 1.5X what I paid) and the even more beautiful Chinese-made used Epiphone MM50 (sold for 2X what I paid) were both excellent playing and sounding starter mandos that defied conventional wisdom about the brand. Even my The Loar LM-500 I recently parted ways with holds a special place in my heart if not my head or hands or ears.

I guess it goes back to the fact that except for one sentimental exception (my very first stringed instrument, a Kay acoustic six string that I 'sold' to my aunt for my cousin's birthday long, long ago), I got super lucky with both of my electric guitars over 20 years ago and then my acoustic nearly a decade past, and haven't ever felt the need or desire for any other guitar. Until I fell hard for the mandolin (i.e. I go months without touching anything with less than 8 strings), a music store was a place of boredom and no small satisfaction that my wallet was secure. I went through the ones above in rapid succession, but I think perhaps between the NF and the Flatiron, for the time being at least, the raging beast of MAS has been sated and I can sleep peacefully once more.

C.

Homer Savard
Apr-25-2017, 9:16pm
Nope! Haven't sold one.

MikeZito
Apr-26-2017, 9:25am
Oh, yeah - I am happy to report that I NEVER regretted selling my banjo . . . .

Russ Donahue
Apr-26-2017, 10:23am

I still miss this one...she's half way across the world, and the guy who has her went to a lot of trouble to acquire her, so I'm certain she's being treated well.

Charlie Bernstein
Apr-26-2017, 3:50pm
Not yet. But I'm just getting started!

banjer23
Apr-26-2017, 4:05pm
lol,,nope,,that offsets the hurt a little,,

banjer23
Apr-26-2017, 4:07pm
Yeah, but do you ever regret buying Doyle Lawson's Passernig F5? :grin:
lol,,nope,,that makes it a little easier I suppose,,

Mark Wilson
Apr-26-2017, 6:22pm
Did You Ever Regret Selling a Mandolin?Nope, but I've bought one or two that I'd like a do over on

acornett
May-25-2017, 12:43pm
I sold my special order koa back Steve Smith Acme mandolin years ago. it was a beautiful instrument. I wish I had it now.

Eric Platt
May-25-2017, 7:20pm
Yup. Two different ones. Washburn Jethro Burns model. One of the very first mandolins I ever purchased. Never learned much on it and passed it on. In hindsight it was probably not a great mandolin, but it did look cool.

The bigger regret was selling my Rigel A Natural. Was back to concentrating on guitar, and was having hand issues with it. To this day I still feel it was my posture rather than the instrument. However, I was talked out of it by a dealer, who got a screaming deal.

Have been through many instruments over the years, guitars, basses, mandolins, uke's. Only regret getting rid of a few. Those two are high up that list, though.

indexless
May-25-2017, 7:48pm
I sold a STELLAR Eastman 514 here on the forum, I'd love to have that one back........and I'd like to have the stuff my ex-wife got in the divorce, 59-60 JR 62 Tele, 57 Strat, 69 LP Custom, 68 D-28, 36 National 14 fret, 4-10 59 Bassman, painful learning experience

leftus maximus
May-26-2017, 4:18am
My main problem is that I don't sell anything, and my storage space has got to critical level, and is officially 'a problem' with the Mrs. Each time I want to buy something I talk myself out of selling whatever it is by thinking I won't get anywhere near its value, so I justify my new purchase by telling myself and my wife that only a few gigs should cover it.

Now I have too many things collecting dust in cupboards, and I always think that instruments are meant to be played and not sitting in storage, so I'm a bit of a hypocrite!

I REALLY need a cull, but reticent to get rid of things like my Fylde octave mandola, which is beautiful but I'm not in a band which utilises it.

ANOTHER reason for me not selling suff is that I think I will regret it, and I'll join a band that the likes of my mandola would thrive in.

My name is Leftus Maximus, and I have a problem. I'm an instrumentaholic :(