PDA

View Full Version : Advice on going electric?

Electrolite
May-16-2009, 11:45pm
I'm learning to play mandolin on a Kentucky KM-250. A-style with F-holes. I've been thinking a lot lately about getting electronics installed, but I have a few questions. Will I lose much of the instrument's tone with pickups installed? Will I get a nice electric sound plugged into an amp? Can I use effects pedals with an acoustic-electric or do I want a solid body electric for that?

Am I better off leaving my KM-250 acoustic and saving up for a solid body electric? The Eastwood Mandocaster ( http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/Other/mandocaster/mandocaster_frm.htm ) caught my eye and from watching videos and reading reviews it seems to be a great electric for the price. The idea of changing my sound with pedals really appeals to me, even though I probably won't be able to afford them for a while.

Advice is appreciated!

CelticDude
May-17-2009, 12:38am
I can't answer your question re: any change to your instrument's tone by adding electronics. But I can tell you that an acoustic/electric can be run through a guitar amp, complete with effects. I had an Ovation MCS148, and now own a Goldtone GM-110, which has a built-in pickup in the bridge. Both sound good when plugged in, and I sometimes borrow my son's wah pedal or distortion pedal, and they work fine with my mandolin. So yes, putting a pickup in your Kentucky will let you run it thru effects pedals.

DWP

mandroid
May-17-2009, 1:42am
N.B. Extensive Discussions have taken place over the years, in 2 other sections : ;)

Equipment : for the acoustic pickups and their Pre-amps [piezo type pickups really need
a preamp designed for them, unless it's installed and battery powered, .. for better sound.

and Electric 4,5&8 strings , where the magnetic type solid body electric mandolins seem to gravitate..

:popcorn:

Tim2723
May-17-2009, 7:23am
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sure, you can use effects with anything that creates an electrical output. The difference between acoustic mandolins with pickups and solid body instruments is similar to an AE guitar versus an electric guitar. They're diffent tools for different jobs.

I only messed around with effects breifly years ago. I found that some effects worked better than others with a mandolin. The effects that use the long sustain of a guitar, like a flanger for instance, didn't work well for me because the mandolin didn't have that long, silky sustain.

But as 'Droid said, you'll find tons of great info in the right sections of the forum. Lots of players doing lots of very cool things.

Welcome to the Cafe!

Chief
May-17-2009, 12:37pm
Electrolite- I've played both amplified acoustic instruments, and straight electric, and found them to be quite different. The straight electric ones are more like small electric guitars. You can have all kinds of fun jamming out with them. It's really apples and oranges- depending on what kind of music you want to play. I like them both, but have really gotten into the electrics lately. By the way, I have a Bluestar Mandoblaster for sale in the classifieds. It's a hot little number that would definately be a step up from an Eastwood or Mandobird. Have fun whatever you do!

pops1
May-17-2009, 9:41pm
Here is an electric i put together. Has a magnetic pickup and two piezo's inside. the knob on the bass side is a blend control for the two systems and the control on the treble side is a volume and tone. you can rock out or sound acoustic or blend the two together for different sound.

The band i use this in is making some changes and i may be going acoustic and i may be selling this. Here is a pic.

Electrolite
May-21-2009, 1:06am
Thanks for the info guys, I've been reading here and checking out the other sections of the forum like you all said.

From what I've read I think I definitely want a solid body electric. I love my acoustic and don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon, but I want to branch out and experiment at the same time.