PDA

View Full Version : Neck Profile Relationship to Hand Size/Shape

man dough nollij
May-16-2009, 9:32pm
I was just noodling around on my Eastman 505, appreciating the nice V shape of the neck. I have had a couple of mandolins, but this one is my favorite in terms of neck profile.

I did most of my learning on my Weber Gallatin, with a pretty chubby "C" shaped neck. I didn't really know I preferred the the narrow "V" until I experienced by Eastman.

On the heels of the recent "hand size" threads, I'm curious if the reason the narrow "V" profile works so well for me is the nature of my hands. Based on the few mandolins I've played, I think I prefer a 1 1/8" nut and a slim "V" shaped neck.

I have average sized hands (according to the data in the hand size threads), but a little unusual. I have larger than average palms, with shorter than average fingers. I have always worn big gloves, but there's always some space past the ends of my fingers.

I'm curious if the people who like the fatty "C" necks are the same folks with big hands, and/or long fingers.

:confused:

John Flynn
May-16-2009, 11:30pm
I have large-ish hands, about halfway into the 50-95th percentile group on the hand size thread and I am right on the borderline of taking Large or Extra Large gloves. I really like a fat, round neck. Both my Rigel and my Medierios Travel Mandolin have "half-billy-club" necks and I find them really comfortable and easy to play. My Parsons Flat-top has a thin, triangular neck that I'm not wild about, although I like the instrument overall. My Old Wave has an in-between neck that I'm OK with, but it's not my fave.

mandotrout777
May-17-2009, 12:11am
I wonder if Eastman uses different neck configurations on the same model of mandolin. I have a 505 and the neck seems large to me; almost uncomfortably so. I had Weber slim down the neck of my Yellowstone and as a result my left hand seems to hold up longer without getting tired. Based on the hand size thread, my hands are on the small side. I'm no luthier, so I honestly don't know what "shape" they are. I guess the Weber is less of a "C" now, shading towards a "V". The Eastman is just fat and roundish, so I guess it's more of a "C"; I'm thinking about having a local guy shave it down too.

Chris Keth
May-17-2009, 12:24am
I tend to think it's just preference with no strong patterns. I say this in great part because, with guitars, I like the biggest, fattest neck I can get even though I have small hands. In that same vein, a lot of people with big, spidery hands play ibanez guitars with their super skinny, thin necks.

Lefty Luthier
May-17-2009, 11:07am
Neck shape is where your custom luthier shines. There are literally dozens of possible neck contours that can be provided upon request. In 104 builds, I can say without reservation that the C shaped neck is the preferred one but it is a totally personal decision. Another aspect that may be important to some players is to carry the V back a bit onto the peghead for those with larger hands.

JEStanek
May-17-2009, 2:23pm
What I found, a few years back at the Philly CBOM-o-Rama was Jack Spira's custom neck profiles made for Dion (Dolamon) for his Spira Mandola and OM. More of a C on the treble side and a V on the bass with a facet just below the fingerboard. The shaped feels incredibly ergonomic and comfortable to me. My hands aren't symmetrical and this neck shape isn't either.

When I had Jack build a mandolin for me I asked for a similar profile. I really like it. I'm also quite comfortable with the Eastman pronounced V. I have a long hand length but a narrow hand breadth.

Just my experience but, how great is it having an instrument fit so well.

Jamie

mandroid
May-17-2009, 2:48pm
Get stuff 2nd or more handed , so I am needing to be flexible ..

when I got the Lebeda Jazzica I discovered what a slim 15 fret neck was like. :)

but it didnt make me want to shed myself of the 1922 A4 because it had a thicker shorter neck :disbelief:

did find the much deeper D shape on my 5 string Pentaula had to be shaved down a lot , :(
because it was painful to play for very long, made to satisfy the needs of someone whose hands must have been 2X+ larger ,
It got it reduced to where the widest part of the neck is just the fingerboard itself , and It's oodles more comfortable to play , now .. the combination of wider for that extra string and deeper in profile was too much. :crying:

Charley wild
May-17-2009, 3:19pm
I've played guitar, both acoustic and electric for many years and prefer "C" type necks. With mandolin. though, I find most any type neck is fairly easy to adapt to. I have small hands both palms and fingers but adapting to any neck shape on a mandolin seems to be easy compared to a guitar. It probably has a lot to do with how I position my hand on the mandolin. I would think that would be true with most of us.