PDA

View Full Version : C.E. Ward passing

Skip Kelley
May-13-2009, 6:45am
Friends, I just received word today that C.E. Ward passed away. The funeral is today(Wednesday). I learned alot during the time I worked with him. He will be missed greatly.

ManjoMan
May-13-2009, 12:16pm
I'm sorry to hear this. I just talked with him last January. I had only met him once when he was playing with Carl Story (I believe). In 1980, I bought (and still have) one of his mandolins that he had just finished. He truly was a nice man.

f5loar
May-13-2009, 9:49pm
Skip, I had mentioned this on Sunday here but I guess it got pushed back and you didn't see it.
I was at the Funeral Home last night.
There was a good turn out of bluegrassers to pay their respect and admiration for CE's long term association with building bluegrass instrments. CE was also a champion banjo picker that loved to play fiddle and mandolin.
CE's son Chuck Ward is carrying on the family tradition with his Ward Musical Repair in Albermarle, NC. If he learned the craft from his father I'm sure he's top notch in doing repairs. He also plays the banjo very good. While I got to be in CE's band a short while in the early 70's I never got to own one of his fine banjos or mandolins. He was one of the first to come out with a Loar A5 long neck mandolin back in the mid60's. His banjo necks are loved by their owners.
He left his mark in the world of bluegrass music and will be missed.

Skip Kelley
May-14-2009, 6:33am
Thanks Tom! I was working Sunday and missed your post. I am glad Chuck is following in his dad's footsteps. I was afraid no one would. I was able to fill in with him a few times and really enjoyed it. I think he built a long neck for an A50 for Doyle way back when. I think he also built the first 6 string neck for the banjo for Sonny Osborne. He will always be remembered!