PDA

View Full Version : Girl On The Greenbriar Shore

Gerrard Dean Smith
May-12-2009, 10:58am
Hello. I've been searching in vain for tabs for Girl On The Greenbriar Shore, tried Mandozine (unless I'm using the search option wrong) and can't seem to find any. Does anyone know where I could find the tabs, or a tab book I could buy. Cheers in advance.

evanreilly
May-12-2009, 11:52am
I love this song!
I first heard the Greenbriar Boys doing their version, then later came to the Carter Family version.
Dr. Ralph also recorded it.
It is a simple three chord (I-IV-V) pattern. I never had the tab for it, but it isn't too hard to hear the changes.
I have tried doing it acapella, as an old ballad number, kind of with the Dr. Ralph freel to it.

Bernie Daniel
May-12-2009, 12:35pm
Here you go!
Xnf5zlexsag

Bernie Daniel
May-12-2009, 1:09pm
Opps -- can't embedd this one so here is your link.

Ralph (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnf5zlexsag)

Paul Kotapish
May-12-2009, 2:10pm
That's a great song, and I just had the opportunity to perform at a couple of concerts last week accompanying a mother-daughter duet who sang it beautifully.

The Carter Family version is the one I'm most familiar with, and it's commonly available. There are also good versions by Bob Dylan and Tom Paley (of the original New Lost City Ramblers). I think all of these are available via iTunes. The lyrics are all over the place on the Web.

It's an extremely simple I - IV - I - V - I form with no chorus or bridge, although the timing of the changes is just a little tricky.

Gerrard Dean Smith
May-13-2009, 5:56am
It really is a great song and many thanks for the replies......:redface: I meant to ask about notation :whistling:
Cheers for posting the youtube videos, but unfortunately I can't view them in my country, copyright issues?
The Old-Time String Band Songbook looks like it could be a good buy.

Dan Johnson
May-13-2009, 6:28am
I love the Ralph Stanley version... It's not the toughest melody, either... Plant that index finger on the second fret of the A string and reach out to the D string and down the rest of the A string and you've got a pretty good range of options for that one...