PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City Kitty

GBG
Aug-10-2004, 7:30am
Does anyone know the key this tune is usually played in? I'm trying to play it in C, but I have a CD of Texas Shorty playing it in B,I think.

patsites
Aug-10-2004, 4:18pm
My dad is a fiddler and is actually friends w/ Texas Shorty. As far as I know, most fiddler's plays this tune in the key of G. Not to say that Shorty didn't play it in B. It's common practice for contest fiddlers to move songs into more difficult keys for style points so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Iv'e never come across any mando people who play it, I usually just back my dad up when I have fiddle jams with him or his friends. I kind of know the melody but pretty much just swing in G when it's my turn. It's a great swing tune that I wish got a little more attention and more people pick'd it.

I learned it in G w/ the second chord being a Gdim7.

GBG
Aug-11-2004, 7:19am
Pat, thanks for your information. I've just worked out something for the first part of the tune in C and haven't really tried to figure out the second part. It's doable in B, but it is harder. I will try G and see how it works. I guarantee none of it will sound like Shorty's version. Thanks again.

Pete Martin
Aug-11-2004, 10:12am
This tune is very common among Texan fiddlers, almost always played in G. The B part starts on a B chord, maybe thats where you picked up the B. Here in a copule of issues in Mandolin Magazine, I'll put this tune in.

Hi Pat!! How's the pickin goin? Joe told me at Weiser you were doin great.

patsites
Aug-12-2004, 2:19pm
Pete,

Great to hear from you. I'm still pickin' away like crazy and making leaps and bounds. I've got a nice little band togther and we're playing everything from Grisman to the Dead to Bob Marley. I'm playing a bit of guitar now and just started messing with the fiddle too, but still focus most my effort on mando.

I'm going to try and make it back to Weiser one of these years. For now I'm heading to Winfield to pick in the campgrounds w/ some of my Colorado pickin' buddies.

I also might be in your neck of the woods this fall. I checking out a hot deal on a Gibson F5-G in the Seattle area. I have family there and will probably fly out for a weekend. I'll definately look you up.

I might also come out for the Mid-Winter fest there too.

P~