PDA

View Full Version : c.1900 Walnut-bowled Bowlback Resto (before & after)

Jake Wildwood
May-10-2009, 5:57pm
Here are some snapshots of a beautiful, awesome-sounding bowlback I'm just finishing off work on today. I only have a couple of frets to lower just a hair and it's going to be a crackerjack player. Big, big, reverby, super-lovely tone (yes, I will video it as soon as possible!).

Work included: two brace reglues, general cleaning, resto, and setup work, fret replacement, etc. I'm not sure of the maker but the braces are sculpted in the Italian fashion, which is interesting. Rosewood binding gives it a nice touch, too!

Jake Wildwood
May-10-2009, 5:59pm
Some more...

The tailpiece is a replacement period one from a different mandolin. This one has a typical later-style tailpiece that was a replacement and I simply didn't like it. Also notice the nice brass tuners with bone buttons.

Jake Wildwood
May-10-2009, 6:00pm
And more!

Woods are:

Bowl ribs: walnut
Neck: mahogany
Top: spruce
Headstock veneer: rosewood
Binding: rosewood (I think)

Jake Wildwood
May-10-2009, 6:03pm
And here's some before shots.

Jake Wildwood
May-14-2009, 3:39pm
Here's a video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyPMzqWr7Cc

JEStanek
May-14-2009, 5:12pm
That sounds very sweet.

Jamie

Jill McAuley
May-14-2009, 8:24pm
Absolutely lovely sounding! Looks the business too!

Cheers,
Jill

jeff mercer
May-14-2009, 8:56pm
Nice work as always, Jake !

Sorry to get off subject here, but I can supply a little info on the "Royal Hawaiian" ukulele you have up on ebay..

Royal Hawaiians' were not built by Kumalae. They were manufactured by the Hawaiian Mahogany Co., who were originally a lumber business that started offering ukes & Hawaiian guitars c.1926.

Take a (VERY) close look a the inner label- the writing is miniscule- you should be able to see " copyright 1927 H.M Co." on the labels' border. H.M Co.= Hawaiian Mahogany Co.

They have a slightly deeper body & wider waist than many vintage Hawaiian-made ukes of the era, which give them a nice fat, loud sound :)

I've got 3 of 'em, a style 1, a style 2 & a Style 3..they all sound fantastic !

Anyways, thought that might interest you, Jake..

Back to the mandolin..
;)

Jake Wildwood
May-15-2009, 4:25pm
Thanks, folks!

Also, Jeff: I really appreciate your info. I'll certainly add it to the listing --and it's very true that the body is wider, rounder, and longer than other Hawaiian ukes I've handled. Very interesting! There goes another one of my false truths. :)