PDA

View Full Version : My wife says I have to stop

leathermarshmallow
May-10-2009, 1:53pm
Here are a couple of pics of what I have been doing recently. I can't help myself. There is always something else that I want to try. I know I need to calm it down and work on playing more on fewer instruments...but I can't help myself! HELP!:disbelief::disbelief:

swampstomper
May-10-2009, 2:13pm
Do you play all of these at least once a week? Do they have different roles in your musical life?

If yes -- it's a set of tools
If no -- you have an obsession...

sebastiaan56
May-10-2009, 2:30pm
I dont get why you have to stop? unless you have tuned them all to fourths of course :))

Steve-o
May-10-2009, 2:37pm
Is that a didgeridoo in the one photo?

KanMando
May-10-2009, 2:46pm
Not to minimize your problem, but I just read an interview with Steve Earle in Vintage Guitar magazine and he has 132 guitars, and a few mandos too.

Bob

journeybear
May-10-2009, 2:52pm
...but I can't help myself! HELP!:disbelief::disbelief:

Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward recovery. :)

I think that's a really really big bong, which may have been in use while the other pic was being taken ... :whistling:

leathermarshmallow
May-10-2009, 3:12pm

My wife is from Australia. We have the darned thing, but I have no idea how to do anything with it but harass my dogs.:))

Skip Kelley
May-10-2009, 5:44pm
Stop What?! I don't see a problem there!:grin:

Chris Keth
May-10-2009, 5:48pm

He does have a problem, he bought that in between taking the photos!:))

journeybear
May-10-2009, 7:10pm
...We have the darned thing, but I have no idea how to do anything with it but harass my dogs ...

That's a start ...

I guess you haven't tried to tune it, or even string it up! ;)

Best to stick with stringed instruments ... :mandosmiley:

Andy Miller
May-10-2009, 8:11pm
My wife plays too, so rather than a moderator, I have an enabler. Unfortunately, I have a small house, and at this point I can only describe it as "strewn" with musical instruments. I consider it a good problem to have. . .

Chris Keth
May-10-2009, 8:15pm
That's a start ...

I guess you haven't tried to tune it, or even string it up! ;)

Best to stick with stringed instruments ... :mandosmiley:

I think he's just not hitting it hard enough.:))

barney 59
May-11-2009, 2:36am
That is not very many, but it's a good start. Next,I think to round things out you need to add a small bodied guitar, like maybe a 0-15 Martin or a lg Gibson and then maybe a mandocaster and I noticed you don't have a Dobro or a double bass.

billkilpatrick
May-11-2009, 4:46am
this is why god invented closets ... lots of 'em

Jim DeSalvio
May-11-2009, 7:19am
I'm heading to Nashville this weekend to "add" to my problem situation. Picking up a Huss & Dalton OM. Will have a chance to play some Collings mandolins, and I want to check out a National resonator mando........

I think your're OK!

ChrisStewart
May-11-2009, 10:04am
IMO I don't think it is an obsession unless it is having a negative impact on you financial situation (including retirement) but personally I would go for quality over quantity.

Jim MacDaniel
May-11-2009, 10:08am
Not to minimize your problem, but I just read an interview with Steve Earle in Vintage Guitar magazine and he has 132 guitars, and a few mandos too.

Bob

But consistent with Alltunator's point, Steve's wife is a musician too, and may thus be an enabler as well -- or at minimum is extremely sympathetic. ;)

chip
May-11-2009, 10:15am
I deal in antiques, and one fun aspects of the business is upgrading inventory. You buy something nice and then something in the same category comes along which is better quality, better patina, valued more, etc. That's when you make the decision to keep the better item for yourself and sell the lesser of the two unless of course your taste dictates that the less valuable, less quality item speaks to you in which case you buy/sell the better item. I think the same holds true with instruments, at least for me it does. I started with a Flatiron A and now have a Gilchrist F5, etc. Even though the Flatiron was something I liked in the beginning as time went on I became more knowledgable about mandolins. I still have the Flatiron though...:)

Jake Wildwood
May-11-2009, 10:19am
I deal in antiques, and one fun aspects of the business is upgrading inventory. You buy something nice and then something in the same category comes along which is better quality, better patina, valued more, etc. That's when you make the decision to keep the better item for yourself and sell the lesser of the two unless of course your taste dictates that the less valuable, less quality item speaks to you in which case you buy/sell the better item. I think the same holds true with instruments, at least for me it does. I started with a Flatiron A and now have a Gilchrist F5, etc. Even though the Flatiron was something I liked in the beginning as time went on I became more knowledgable about mandolins. I still have the Flatiron though...:)

I understand this entirely... working on so many vintage instruments myself I get the "pick of the litter." I might have different taste in the litter, though, than other folks, so I tend not to conflict with my sales which is super fortunate for my business. :D

mandopixie
May-11-2009, 10:27am
I think that's a really really big bong, which may have been in use while the other pic was being taken ...
:)):)):)) Thanks, for that larf, jb - I needed that just now!

journeybear
May-11-2009, 10:34am
... I just read an interview with Steve Earle in Vintage Guitar magazine and he has 132 guitars, and a few mandos too ...

... Steve's wife is a musician too, and at minimum is extremely sympathetic -- or an enabler as well ...

His sister Stacey is, too. Sometimes these "conditions" run in families ... :grin:

journeybear
May-11-2009, 10:34am
... I started with a Flatiron A and now have a Gilchrist F5, etc. Even though the Flatiron was something I liked in the beginning as time went on I became more knowledgable about mandolins. I still have the Flatiron though...:)

You know, you had me going, I was accepting your well-considered, logical reasoning ... up until the end, when I saw you didn't trade up from the Flatiron to get the Gilchrist - you just added it to your collection! :disbelief: Sounds like MAS to me! :))

chip
May-11-2009, 8:16pm
Ya caught me! I have it bad too, I just bought an Orpheum No.1 Banjolin:disbelief::disbelief:

fatt-dad
May-11-2009, 8:59pm
My family photo has four guitars and three mandolins, but that doesn't include a couple mandolins, a couple of guitars, a couple of banjos, a couple of accordians and a couple of fiddles. Wait, there are also a handful of hand drums in the living room and a couple of saxophones. Thing is many of these I just happened by (well other than the guitars and mandolins in the family photo).

f-d

journeybear
May-11-2009, 10:43pm
Ummm ... OK, but just to make sure I didn't miss something ... in your family photo - where's your family? :confused:

Just wondering ... :whistling:

mandozilla
May-12-2009, 3:05am
My wife plays too, so rather than a moderator, I have an enabler.

My wife plays too

Steve's wife is a musician too, and may thus be an enabler as well

I've tried to enlist my wife into the BG estrogen army (and I mean that affectionately) off and on over the past 36 years. She's been hot and cold about it. I always wanted her to be an enabler but with no success.

Got her a decent 5 string b**jo...that lasted for a month...later got her a really good fiddle...that lasted about a week. Got her a nice guitar...that lasted a few months...I might try a bass fiddle next...I dunno.

We met 36 years ago at a BG gig so she has no problem with the music...But she has this annoying habit of saying things like "what do you need that for?" or "you can only play one at a time!"...bless her little heart.

BTW, I now OWN that b**njo, fiddle and guitar! HaHaHa :))

~o):popcorn:

fatt-dad
May-12-2009, 8:13am
Ummm ... OK, but just to make sure I didn't miss something ... in your family photo - where's your family? :confused:

Just wondering ... :whistling:

My mando-guitar family - so far the wife is still talking to me!

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff102/fatt-dad/guitar-mandolinfamily.jpg

f-d

journeybear
May-12-2009, 9:08am
My mando-guitar family - so far the wife is still talking to me!

That's very nice of her ... considering she's not in the picture! :))

fatt-dad
May-12-2009, 10:46am
You guys really want to see this stuff? O.K. here goes:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff102/fatt-dad/nov2408032.jpg

f-d

journeybear
May-12-2009, 12:53pm

Not really ... I just thought it funny (amusing and odd) that whenever you mentioned "family photos" you were talking about your mandolin family, not your actual family! But looks like a nice happy bunch, or at least they're putting on a brave face, knowing how dear old Dad is afflicted with MAS ... :grin:

Fortunately, there are now cures available, and most are inexpensive. In fact, they typically involve an increase in cash on hand, depending on how many instruments you sell ... :whistling:

Yeah, I know, as if! :))

Jack Roberts
May-12-2009, 1:30pm

f-d

That's a fine looking family, f-d. You've done well.

fatt-dad
May-12-2009, 2:02pm
Thanks for the kind words.

On the matter of MAS, I'm cured. I have owned my share, sold many and lusted for an f-model as the pinnacle of the mando-world. Finally go a custom f-model and all the while as I awaited it's arrival, played my Flatiron. When it arrived, I realized my Flatiron was all the mandolin I needed.

Guitars are another matter - ha.

f-d

viv
May-13-2009, 9:32pm
That's a fine looking family, f-d. You've done well.

he said what i was gonna say.

Chris Keth
May-13-2009, 10:58pm
he said what i was gonna say.

They all have the same smile, this one----->:grin: