PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Mandosymposium this year?

Al Bergstein
May-05-2009, 12:33am
wondering if anyone other than me is heading down to Santa Cruz? Primarily going for the choro. It's nominally less expensive than Rio! We have any other choro playing folks from here going?

Ken Olmstead
May-05-2009, 7:06pm
I am going to the Symposium but I have not caught the Choro bug yet...but who knows, that may change!! :)

Brad Weiss
May-07-2009, 6:39am
If you go to the Symposium, the choro bug WILL catch you...

Al Bergstein
May-07-2009, 4:47pm
True enough. Between the 'traditional' style of Danilo and the 'modern' style of Dudu (my opinion only on that) you might find it quite compelling. Do you read music well? That certainly seems to be a must for choro. I've had to really bring my reading skills back up to snuff. Helped to jump into the Seattle mandolin orchestra for a while. Boy was that challenging even though the songs were relatively easy! If you've never tried practicing a II part without a I part to match it to, you will pick up reading quick!

Tim C.
May-08-2009, 12:58pm
Hey, I'll be there and doing the beginner choro jam again - it was a blast last year. And for the record, Danilo himself does not read music, but he does pretty well!
All the best, and see you in SC - Tim

SternART
May-08-2009, 1:06pm
I was going to pass this year since money is tight.........but we just had Open Studios last weekend here in Benicia, and I put one of my older art glass showpieces on sale for half price.......or exactly what it costs to go to the Symposium.......with the intent that if it sold I would go.......and it sold! I deliver it next week and as soon a the check clears the money goes to Ruffo. I think having Tracy Grisman show her paintings in my studio this year might have brought me some luck. So my record will be intact, I've gone every year, and am looking forward again to Santa Cruz!

Roger Kunkel
May-09-2009, 9:24am
I just sent in my registration and I'm really excited about going. It will be my first symposium. I can't stop thinking about it. I know nothing about Choro, but I'd love to learn. I've worked on my reading this year, partly using Debora Chen's book. I hope I can keep up. I'm particularly interested in learning some blues and swing!

See you there!

Booie
May-09-2009, 9:57am
I can't afford to go, but I can't afford to miss it--i'll see you there. Dudu and Danilo are the dream team of choro teachers, and two of the nicest folks you will ever meet.

SternART
May-09-2009, 12:26pm
Hey nuttyadguy.....congrats on your first symposium, it has been the highlight of my year since they started.......So, is that your mandolin pictured under your name? What kind is it? Has an extra point like the ol' Gibson 3 points......and where do you live? You don't list that in your profile. Interesting to see where folks are from......

There will be plenty of Blues & Swing mando to learn there.......looks like maybe Mike and/or David will be teaching the jazz, since neither Don Stiernberg or Paul Glasse are teaching this year. I'm looking forward to Emory Lester and Peter Ostroushko too, both stellar players......wonder how they are as teachers?

Nick Royal
May-09-2009, 10:34pm
I am looking forward to working with classical teacher/player, Carlo Aonzo, and probably being in his ensemble. And then there is Peter Ostroushko, who is an amazing playing.

Pete Braccio
May-10-2009, 1:27am
Class info is now on the Symposium site.

Pete

Al Bergstein
May-14-2009, 12:37am
Can we try and get a jam with the SF/South Bay choro folks while there? Anyone know them? Or should I post to the Brazil Camp mailing list?

Tim C.
May-14-2009, 9:27am
A bunch of choro folks from the bay area usually come by at some point, but I'll put the word out just to remind them - thanks!

Ken Olmstead
May-18-2009, 10:04am
There are sooooo many choices!! I am definately going to spend some time with Delgrosso. I would like to add some blues to my playing. I can play pretty mean blues on electric guitar but have not added the genre to my mandolin playing. Obviously want to spend some time with Grisman and Marshall but not sure what. The tremelo class that Grisman is going to do sounds interesting.

Hope my finger is better by then! :crying::mad:

Al Bergstein
May-19-2009, 9:02am
If you are interested in improving tremolo technique, be sure to ask at each class with a different teacher, if it doesn't come up. They all have their points on it, and Evan Marshall taught a great class on it a few years back. It's too bad that there aren't archives available on past classes. Maybe someone on the board made tapes of that class.

Roger Kunkel
May-19-2009, 9:37am
Hey Art,

I've updated my profile and user name. I think I'm really going to have trouble deciding which classes to go to. The DelGrasso classes are high on my list.

The three point is my Sumi. Really a F5 with an extra point. "what's the point?" one might ask... I'm out in Davis. Say hello at camp. You'll probably recognize the mandolin.

-Roger