PDA

View Full Version : Hot Rize - Live at Boulder Theater

Steelee
May-01-2009, 9:25pm
A few months ago it was suggested I check out Hot Rize. Many thanks to the Mandolin Cafe member that made the suggestion. Who sang lead and harmony on most of the tunes, and second are former members of the group still playing bg (except for the guitar player that had cancer and died)?

Also, thanks to the member who suggested The Johnson Mountain Boys - Live at the Old Schoolhouse.

SternART
May-01-2009, 9:30pm
That would be the great Tim O'Brien on mandolin and singing lead. http://www.timobrien.net/

All the members of Hot Rize are still involved in music. In fact they even sometimes still play as Hot Rize with Brian Sutton on guitar. I'm pretty sure Red Knuckles retired years ago.

Gary Hedrick
May-02-2009, 8:22am
The Red Knuckles act was more of a tribute to Chicken Hot Rod and Miss Pansy ala Reno and Smiley. Very funny......

Also when you listen to Hot Rize Charles Sawtelle's guitar work and understated playing is a marvel to me. ....very, very subtle and excellent guitar work.

His death was a real loss to the world of music.

fredfrank
May-02-2009, 9:25am
Most of the time when the chorus rolled around, Tim would sing the tenor while Nick took the lead vocal. I always marveled at how much alike they sounded. I believe Nick is doing radio now, of course Tim is still going with the Tim O'Brien Band, Pete Wernick has a band called Flexigrass, which is a very interesting band - drums, vibes, clarinet, and banjo. The Hot Rize crew have been doing some reunion shows with Brian Sutton on guitar. If you ever get the chance, by all means catch the show - it's great!

Jordan Ramsey
May-02-2009, 12:01pm
Got to see one such reunion show about a month ago at the brand-new, soon-to-be-renovated Etown hall (Live from Etown Hall is the show that Nick hosts on NPR, it used to be broadcast from the Boulder Theater, but they've just bought an old church to fix up as their new venue). The guys were playing for Swallow Hill's 30th anniversary on a Saturday, so they decided to do an invite only informal rehearsal/show that Friday to knock off the cobwebs. They played two full sets, took requests, played the hits, it was really a great show. Sutton killed it, as always. Just to make sure Charles was a part of everything, they had a full sized cardboard cutout of Slade standing behind them on stage, priceless! It was a small intimate crowd and the band had a local brewery donate a keg, so everyone was in good spirits. Just to set the record straight (and to include a little shameless self-promotion), Pete has a couple of other projects in addition to Flexigrass. He plays with his wife Joan in a duo, and also plays with Boulder-based bluegrass band Long Road Home (link below). As for Red Knuckles, there was no sign of them that night, but I did see them last summer at Telluride and have my fingers crossed that they might show up at RockyGrass this year.

mandopete
May-02-2009, 12:23pm
I understand that Steve Martin hired Hot Rize to perform at his wedding.

Read all about it. (http://www.thebluegrassblog.com/hot-rize-helps-steve-martin-tie-the-knot/)

Don Grieser
May-02-2009, 3:13pm
I saw a Hot Rize show at the 4 Corners Folk Fest soon after Charles's death with Peter Rowan playing the prewar D-18 Charles gave to him. They got a long standing ovation on the first song and they just nailed everything they played. Peter Rowan had obviously been studying Charle's playing because, if you closed your eyes, you would have sworn Charles was there playing those bluesy leads. He'd be singing harmony and then swing out to wing mic to nail a g run. Peter was definitely channeling Charles and it really affected the rest of the band. It was an electrifying performance from the first note to the end with many standing ovations throughout.

Tbone
May-04-2009, 3:25pm
Red Knuckles is still playing around. Usually, whereever you find hot rize, red knuckles is playing the same festival, since they share a bus. You know - red knuckles & the boys stand up in a closet that Hot Rize lets them use on their bus.

My buddy saw them do a 2 hr set at greyfox last summer. Can't recall his name, but their guitar player pretty much puts on a clinic at every show. Amazing western swing guitar.

Mattg
May-04-2009, 3:43pm
Pete has a couple of other projects in addition to Flexigrass. He plays with his wife Joan in a duo, and also plays with Boulder-based bluegrass band Long Road Home (link below).

Hey Jramsey, I hear the mandolin player is pretty good. :))

Can't wait to catch your Longmont show.

Jordan Ramsey
May-04-2009, 7:30pm
Hey Jramsey, I hear the mandolin player is pretty good. :))

Can't wait to catch your Longmont show.

Thanks, Matt! I'll see you there.

SternART
May-04-2009, 8:48pm
Jordan......checked out the Long Road Home link...great sounding band!
Are you the same cat on mandolin in the videos? If so what images of you are more
recent..... the videos or the one here on the Cafe?

Jordan Ramsey
May-04-2009, 9:30pm
Jordan......checked out the Long Road Home link...great sounding band!
Are you the same cat on mandolin in the videos? If so what images of you are more
recent..... the videos or the one here on the Cafe?

Hey Art..... although the pictures and names on the myspace page represent the current configuration, the videos and recordings feature Dominick Leslie. He left the band last fall to attend Berklee. The current lineup is preparing for a live recording at the end of the month, so I'm sure we'll have something new up within the next couple of months.