PDA

View Full Version : Old Gibson or New Old Wave?

racuda
Feb-08-2004, 12:58pm
Price isn't an issue. There are none available locally, so I can't try them.

My decision would be based on playability, tone, and mojo. I'm guessing that the Gibson would win in the mojo category, and the Old Wave would have better playability.

I am one of those old-guitar-player-new-to-mando converts.

I would appreciate any comments and suggestions

Jeff Wheelock
Feb-08-2004, 1:16pm
Not necessarily. #My 1913 A-3 plays like a dream, and the slightly wider neck is a plus. #Having never played an Old Wave, I can't comment on tone, but I'm more than happy with the A-3.

doanepoole
Feb-08-2004, 2:55pm
Not necessarily. #My 1913 A-3 plays like a dream, and the slightly wider neck is a plus. #

Ditto. #The neck on my 1914 A is the most comfortable for me that I have ever played, especially considering the slightly wider neck (and I have small hands). If I ever go to a custom builder, I will bring him/her my Gibson, and tell them to build the neck precisely that way. #As I understand it, Bill Bussman takes custom specs, and I can't imaging too many luthiers would have a proble filling vinatge Gibson specs, as their mandos are pretty much the standard for oval-holes.

As a side note, I find mahogany necks with a thin or satin finish more comfortable than maple ones, probably because they feel pourous and give me, I think, a better grip. #I don't know which wood holds up better over time, but my A held up great, without a truss rod even, for 90 years and going.

I have never played an Old Wave, but have heard great things about them, and they look superb. The best oval holes I've tried have been Gibsons and, for the price, Weber flattops. #But time can ravage an insturment, and there are alot of unplayable or irrepairable old Gibsons out there, as I can attest to first hand.

danb
Feb-08-2004, 3:26pm
I've played several of Bill's- his average (that I've seen) is well above the average of the old Gibsons in general, *WAY* above if you exclude the snakeheads! I'd vastly over-generalize that Bill's average mandolin sounds like a really good Snakehead Gibson, and beats it in the cosmetics department too.

Unless you're really looking for a piece that's got a collector vibe too it with all sorts of vintage doo-dahs on it, I'd say go for the Old Wave.

Bill's Octave mandolins & mandolas are also very nice. Plus Bill is a crack-up, you start laughing in self defence when you see him coming your way! He recently posted a story on CoMando about travelling around sessions in Ireland with one of his "Melondolins" and passing it around, I can only imagine the scene!

Here's Bill at Zoukfest 2003 (http://www.beimborn.com/zoukfest2003/pages/bill_bussman2.htm) (That particular F5 he's holding is an experimental design of his)

Bill is a cafe regular (hi Bill!), so I expect you'd have no trouble getting in touch with him online to ask about details you discuss like the neck width & fingerboard feel etc.

doanepoole
Feb-08-2004, 3:49pm
Not trying to sway you too much, but just also consider, because you said price was not an issue, the warrantry issue. #You would get an old Gibson used, and old, and without warranty, but an Old Wave would come with a warranty.

Something to think about anyway.

P.S. If you can afford one, Gavin Baird mandos are sublime.

oldwave maker
Feb-08-2004, 3:51pm
Once upon a time my lovely wife looked deeply into my eyes and told me I was 'within the range of normalcy', I suppose my ovals are that way too-tho I'd personally never buy a mando, an upright bass or a pair of shoes without first going for a test drive. never got to actually play this mando in a session, I'd pass it out at the start and never get it back till the end of the evening, it seemed to have a tone especially fitting for meloncholy tunes......the bisonhead fiddle is one of my homade wooden toys also

John Rosett
Feb-08-2004, 5:04pm
whataya mean meloncollie? i don't see no dawg in that picture....

Walter
Feb-10-2004, 2:13pm
Oh yea, I like the bison head on that fiddle!! Can that feature be custom ordered for a mandolin??