PDA

View Full Version : Tailpieces on an octave

pickinBob
Aug-09-2004, 12:18am
I want to change from a traditional stamped tailpiece to a solid cast tailpiece. I've looked at the Allen's, Orrico's, Weber's. Anybody have some practical advice on this choice? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Michael Lewis
Aug-09-2004, 12:32am
Before you choose a tail piece think about the re stringing process. Some are more difficult than others, and some are downright difficult. Everyone has their own approach to mechanical situations, so each person will find differing results regarding the tailpieces.

steve V. johnson
Aug-09-2004, 3:05am
Um... well.. I just commented on stamped tailpieces in your First OM thread... Woops... <GG>

Phil Crump used an Allen (I think it's an MR-2?) on my bouzouki, and it has both cast tangs for loop-end strings and the nice rim over the string holes for ball-end strings. I love it. I usually use guitar strings, but have used loop-ends in a pinch, and both are easy and the little tangs that the loops go over are really easy to use, and strong.

My impression is that the cost is around $60-70 for any of them (in plain working-guy finishes, not gold, platinum or Mithril ... <GG>) unless you can find one used. I plan on adding one to another instrument and I figured that I'd buy one direct from the Allen website.

The Monteleones are a bit stylie for me with their assymetry and the flat Webers are nice and functional, but I don't prefer the look.

I asked Phil Crump if he thought that the cast density affected the sound, if that was why he uses them, and he said no, and that he liked the convertibility since among zouk players both ball- and loop-end strings are used.
He also said that he liked the look of them and that was a big influence on him too.

HTH,

stv

cpmusic
Sep-20-2004, 1:16pm
I just started a thread under "equipment" looking for an OM tailpiece that will accept ball-end strings. Does the Allen tailpiece do this? Are there any others that do?