PDA

View Full Version : youtube mandolin orchestra global mash-up

billkilpatrick
Apr-29-2009, 9:33am
this is in response to a suggestion made by santiago on another thread - could be fun.

how about this ... we agree on a song and anyone who wants to participate, submits a video to youtube. someone who KNOWS! ... (i've read about them - they exist) grabs the verse or riff or whatever with grabber software and compiles a video - a bit like a patchwork quilt.

wasn't the recent "internet symphony" global mash-up done like this?

oC4FAyg64OI

we'd all have to agree on a song, tune-up properly and tap our toes to the same beat per minute but it shouldn't be too hard to do.

any of standard bluegrass/old-time tunes would be fine with me.

anyone want to be conductor/video director? ... is that a baton in your pocket or are you excited by the project?

- bill

Elliot Luber
Apr-29-2009, 9:57am
We'd have to agree to a song, a key and a metronome setting.

billkilpatrick
Apr-29-2009, 10:24am
yep' ...

i was going to suggest "soldier's joy" but it appears to be about morphine.

assuming there's nothing sinister lurking in the lyrics, how about "liberty" in "D?" ... try to post it to youtube in time for the 4th of july?

journeybear
Apr-30-2009, 12:35am
... is that a baton in your pocket or are you excited by the project?

It's a baton ;)

Mike Bromley
Apr-30-2009, 12:53am

G'won!~:>:whistling:

journeybear
Apr-30-2009, 1:07am

To dream, the impossible dream! :grin: :crying: ;) :mandosmiley: :whistling:

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-30-2009, 1:09am
Whiskey Before Breakfast. Pick one of the ones in the other thread and we can all use that as a template....

Bill Snyder
Apr-30-2009, 7:40am
FWIW, The YouTube symphony played together at Carnegie Hall. The tryouts were done via YouTube.
I forget who is doing it, but there are videos of people playing/singing the same song from locales all around the globe put together that are pretty neat.

kjell
Apr-30-2009, 9:04am
http://www.playingforchange.com/ might be what Bill is getting at, though there are probably others.

Chris Hasty
Apr-30-2009, 10:06am
In addition to key, tune, and timing... everyone would have to start on the same cue or there'd be a really interesting reverb effect going on.

I'd like to see how it turns out.

GTG
May-01-2009, 1:08pm
Whiskey Before Breakfast. Pick one of the ones in the other thread and we can all use that as a template....

I'd suggest a different tune, just so we can move forward from the 'Whiskey challenge' thread. I read somewhere that Blackberry Blossom and Red-Haired Boy were two of the most popular fiddle tunes in Bluegrass and Old-Time repetroires, so one of those might work. I'd also go with Liberty, which I don't know, but this would be a perfect chance to learn a new tune.

Elliot Luber
May-01-2009, 1:23pm
I purchased a lot next door and it was two words. :-)