PDA

View Full Version : East Tenn State Univ Bluegrass Dept

papawhisky
Apr-28-2009, 7:26pm
Paying my taxes this year really got me to thinking about what I am doing with my life. Sorry, don't mean to get heavy.
Part of life is knowing when it is time for a change. Not that I know, but...
ETSU has a Bluegrass program. One each Adam Steffey, among other notables instruct there. Looks like lots of focus on musicianship and performing. It's got me dreaming.
I'm not trying to become a bluegrass star--don't have the talent, but the opportunity to develop what talent I have is pretty appealing.
Any one got any experience with this program and can share?

Mike Bromley
Apr-28-2009, 8:37pm
Sounds like a hoot!

Jordan Ramsey
Apr-29-2009, 12:11pm
Go for it, Papa. I was in the program from '03 until '07, and would highly recommend it to anyone. I recieved great instruction from Jack Tottle, although it would have been nice to have had Steffey around back then, for sure. I had only been playing for about two years when I moved to Johnson City, and had not had that many players to pick with where I was living, so the best part about ETSU for me was being able to live in a community with so many great musicians. I think that having a really big pool of players to jam with was an essential part of my development as a mandolinist and a musician. Not only were there great players who motivated me to practice and improve, but there were also folks who were at or below my skill level, which allowed me to relax and get comfortable with jamming and learning new tunes. When I left the school there were around 300+ people in the program, and it keeps getting bigger every year. In addition to lots of great jamming, I was receiving weekly private instruction and playing in a weekly ensemble with other players.

The program usually groups you with people who are roughly at your same skill level, although your schedule and availability ultimately have a lot to do with which group you get placed in. Every group has at least three performances at the end of the semester; an on-campus theater, a local veterans hospital, and the Down Home (a wonderful local listening room). The top few ensembles also play various other gigs on top of the required three, and are encouraged to stay together through multiple semesters if everyone is content with their placement and the schedules work out. Every group uses one single condenser microphone for every performance, so part of your preparation is not only working up material, but also learning how to work around a single mic.

The best part of my time at ETSU was making it into the top performing ensemble, the Pride Band, from '05 until '07. Got to play a lot of really nice venues, made some decent money, and really got a feel for being a professional musician. Under the direction of Raymond McLain, who was on tour basically his whole life with the McLain Family Band, we learned a lot of invaluable lessons about what it takes to be on the road. Raymond would always invoke his father: "Well, Daddy would always say....". Some of those adages would include always leaving time for a flat tire on the way to a gig, and never giving your sound away before the first note of the performance (i.e. no noodling on stage before showtime). The highlight of my tenure with the Pride Band was being part of the house band for Ralph Stanley's 80th birthday party. Got to play on stage with Porter Wagoner, Ralph Stanley, Alison Krauss, and Dan Tyminski that evening, what an experience. I stayed with the Pride Band for two years, and had a lot of wonderful opportunities to learn and grow as a musician and a person. I also met some of my best friends in the world, and made some very important contacts which have served me well in the past couple of years. Hope you go for it, and I hope you have as great of an experience as I did.

D C Blood
Apr-29-2009, 12:37pm
If this program had been around 20-30 years ago, I would have jumped at the chance to get into it. I guess the program at Plains College, Levelland, Tx, was the first of its type, and the ETSU program has provided uncounted nuombers of fine young pickers now carrying on the music. Anybody know if there's an age limit? <G>

AlanN
Apr-29-2009, 12:51pm
What a great program for those so inclined to pursue it. If Bill Monroe knew you could actually get a college degree in this/his music, he would be mighty proud!

I personally know one ETSU student, a fine banjo picker who just gotten better and better - not just in his picking, but in his whole approach to/understanding of the musician's life - and the only negative thing he has to say about the program as he is nearing the end is that there are always younger and better pickers entering the school and nipping at your heels!

papawhisky
Apr-29-2009, 9:42pm
Wow, JRamsey--sounds like you had an awesome experience there. I really appreciate you taking the time to relay some of what the program was like for you. It gives me a real sense of what the program is all about.
Although I live in Oklahoma now, I have roots in that area. My grandparents were farmers near Madisonville TN and I used to spend a lot of time there.

Was the program tolerant of 'nontraditional' students? I am in my 50's, and have had a great career, but am thinking I would like to take time for something personally satisfying. It's about personal growth for me. I've been in a couple of bands, but I'm not a state champion or anything (congratulations!).

Mike Snyder
Apr-29-2009, 10:29pm
We have a young lady, locally, who we are quite proud of who will be attending ETSU in the bluegrass program as a freshman. Kara Oliphant is a veteran contest fiddler, member of the Oliphant Family Band, and very good mandolinist. She has recieved a scholorship, if I'm not mistaken, and is very excited about attending. Mom and dad, on the other hand, worry about their little girl being so far from home. She has a brother at home that can pick six string and banjo like a pro, and fiddles nearly as well as his sister. Karas' soul is made of music, and we wish her well.

Jim Kirkland
Apr-29-2009, 11:24pm
Wow, JRamsey--sounds like you had an awesome experience there. I really appreciate you taking the time to relay some of what the program was like for you. It gives me a real sense of what the program is all about.
Although I live in Oklahoma now, I have roots in that area. My grandparents were farmers near Madisonville TN and I used to spend a lot of time there.

Was the program tolerant of 'nontraditional' students? I am in my 50's, and have had a great career, but am thinking I would like to take time for something personally satisfying. It's about personal growth for me. I've been in a couple of bands, but I'm not a state champion or anything (congratulations!).

Patrick, I grew up in Madisonville, Dad and Grandfather baptist ministers. I have thought many times that it would be great to just do nothing but hang around and do music 24/7. I am retired and can afford to do so, only problem for a short time we are caring for the grandaughter while the daughter does a tour in Iraq. All the family still lives in the Madisonville area, great idea and I just may give is some thought. Thanks

John Malayter
Apr-30-2009, 12:00am
There's a bunch of great talent coming from ETSU these day's, all young and powerful. The Pride Band gets better and better and Jordan was one of the best.

Go for it....

Jordan Ramsey
Apr-30-2009, 12:03am
Hey thanks, John, hope you're doing well. Patrick and Jim, the program is all inclusive. My very first ETSU band had a guy named Bruce Haney, a retired engineer who entered the program around the same time I did, around '03. He later invented the "Fiddle Widget" as a way to teach himself the note names on his instrument. I think he's selling them all over the country now. One of Bruce's later bands had a few retirees in it, and they eventually branched away from program and were playing in and around JC last I heard. I don't believe they will let you audit the program, you have to sign up and pay for one credit hour each of "bluegrass band" and "private mandolin". You'll get you a weekly hour and a half band rehearsal, and a half-hour private lesson. Two credits was around $400 last I was there, and I believe the have a materials type fee for private instruction. Good luck, and let us know if you decide to make the move.

papawhisky
Apr-30-2009, 6:05pm
I sent some of my questions to the center via email. It is a very interesting proposition for me and one that could take me from the well beaten path I am now on. Got to work thru some of the details, but I will definitely let you know if it works out. Thanks so much for the inputs.

mandolinbill1949
May-01-2009, 5:26pm
U can't go wrong by taking that course top notch instructors.

hillsofhome
Nov-23-2009, 3:31pm
Hey Mike,
just came across this post.
Cara is having a blast at ETSU all kinds of pickin.
She got invited to be in ETSU Pride Band and has started working with them.
Also you can now major in bluegrass whereas before it was only a minor.

Went up to KC to the HABOT bluegrass club pickin on Nov.20th, had a good time, lots of pickers.

How's the Kiddoo pickin grounds coming? Haven't seen him lately.

Austin Koerner
Nov-23-2009, 3:35pm
I will go there within the next couple years.