PDA

View Full Version : Factory ships with what strings?

Capt. E
Apr-28-2009, 9:08am
Does anyone know what strings are put on the new mandolins shipped from Gibson, Weber, Collings, Eastman, Kentucky, etc...brand, gauge, etc? I assume Gibson would put on medium "Gibson" strings, but the others...?

lovethemf5s
Apr-28-2009, 9:19am
Collings ships with J74s.

JEStanek
Apr-28-2009, 9:24am
Eastman ships with J74s after set up in California (or sometimes Maryland).

Jamie

Tony Polecastro
Apr-28-2009, 10:10am
We ship with GHS Phospher Bronze Mediums (11, 16, 26, 40)

Capt. E
Apr-28-2009, 12:42pm
Could one reason people prefer Weber over Collings or vice versa be the different strings? I know different strings change the sound of my personal instruments. Both are wonderful, but I do hear subtle differences, such as when I compared a Weber Vintage Oval and a Collings MT2-O in a local shop.

JEStanek
Apr-28-2009, 1:10pm
I would imagine there are real structural differences between the Weber and the Collings build that impart tonal nuances that one may prefer one brand over the other. It would be easier to compare two mandolins if they had the same strings and were played by the same person with the same picks but even that test can be cloudy. Different mandolins I have sound better with different string/pick combinations than others. Does the Weber Vintage Oval have the longer neck like the Collings? The bridge placement imparts a lot of tonality as well. Same with the top woods which are likely different.

Jamie

Hans
Apr-28-2009, 2:18pm
My factory ships 'em out with J74's, or J74SS...

JEStanek
Apr-28-2009, 2:36pm
Hans, you must have one of your best men on that job, huh? ;)

Jamie

SChase@EastmanStrings
Apr-28-2009, 3:14pm
We ship with GHS Phospher Bronze Mediums (11, 16, 26, 40)

Hey! Whats up Tony?

Capt. E
Apr-28-2009, 4:43pm
Good points Jamie. Many factors involved in comparing instruments beyond the strings.

As far as the Weber and Collings I mentioned, I believe they are both 13th fret at body (14" scale). Both are also X-braced (Weber calls it modified X-bracing). They are very similar instruments, equally good in my opinion. Just a matter of personal taste when choosing one over the other. Wouldn't mind owning either one.

Tony Polecastro
Apr-28-2009, 4:44pm
Hey Sean!

Hans
Apr-28-2009, 5:07pm
Jamie, he's a real slacker, but he's all I've got...hard to find good help these days. :grin:

JEStanek
Apr-28-2009, 5:08pm
Well Hans, If I can retire in 20 years, I'll volunteer to help with stringing at your factory, gratis.

Jamie who might be kind of a slacker too.

mandomania7923
May-03-2009, 9:50pm
You know hans, they say i'm the best string changer out there? All I charge is a bentrup a year :)