PDA

View Full Version : Tone Gard Storage: Educate Me

Frank Johnson
Apr-26-2009, 3:21pm
I bought a tone gard for my mandolin two weeks ago. Haven't taken it off since I brought it home, but can't tell any big difference in the sound. On the other hand it does keep the mandolin away from my body, so if nothing else it will keep the finish looking good and not get all scratched up, so I'll keep it attached. But that isn't the question.........

When I put the mandolin in the case (with the tone gard attached) the lid won't close. I have to press the lid down a couple of inches to snap it closed. That surely isn't good for the mandolin. I don't want to tote the tone gard around separately so I hope there's an easy fix for it.

I tried looping a bungee cord around the case and through the tone gard, but that doesn't secure it very well (and I don't like how it looks, anyway).

I could drill holes on the back of the case and put grommets in the holes (to keep them from wallowing out), and attach it that way. The tension should hold it secure.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Got any ideas?

mandroid
Apr-26-2009, 3:42pm
Ommitted the particulars of which case that you are dealing with ...

Mine stays on a '22 A4, it's original case is big enough to fit fine.

there is enough give in the padding around the instrument to compress when putting the F in the Pegasus.

the designers of the Concord Adjustable mandolin cases figured a stowage setup for tone gard's in the lid of theirs. a clever idea.

http://elderly.com//accessories/items/CAMC1.htm

Miked
Apr-26-2009, 4:25pm
How about a new case?

I put a ToneGard on my F9 and it was a little tight at first, but the Travelite case has adjusted to it. Now the Travelite has an impression of the ToneGard.

I'm surprised you don't hear a difference. It's helped me a lot since before I was trying to point the mandolin away from my body and now I can play it in a more natural position.

jim_n_virginia
Apr-26-2009, 8:31pm
I too am surprised that you don't hear a difference. Mine is like night and day. The only explanation I think is in the way you hold your mandolin when you play. You must hold it out so it doesn't touch your body ... the way you are supposed to play but many (like me) who do not.

Are you thin? I am errr.. well fed and if I played my mandolin on my hip to one side my body would STILL probably touch the back of the mandolin! :))

You might need to get a new case because taking it off and on besides weakening the spring is just a hassle. I got mine and it never comes off.

It fits perfectly in my TKL case but lately I have been using a Travelite case and when I close the lid it is held open maybe one inch and I have to apply a very small amount of pressure to close it up. The case is well padded and I believe the 1 inch is absorbed by the padding.

But it IS tight enough to cause me some concern. I believe if enough pressure was applied to the top it may crack the top, but the comfort of the light weight and being able to sling it along my back has kept me from switching back to my TKL case. I just try and be super careful with it.

Also I do have instrument insurance IF the unthinkable happens but I hope NOT! :mandosmiley:

Mike Snyder
Apr-26-2009, 11:35pm
Storing my mando in it's TKL shaped case with my guard puts my bridge hard up against the top of the case, as evidenced by the wear pattern in the plush lining. My plan is to be darn careful of any added pressure or impact until I can work free the clams for a lite case which keeps the bridge area free of pressure. And, I too am suprised that you hear no difference. Travelite or Gator?
Oops, thats a different thread.

Joel Spaulding
Apr-27-2009, 12:21am
This Concord (http://www.finecases.com/browse/concord-cases/concord-cases-5904.html) case provides a storage spot for a Tone Gard. I finally put my Concord into action a few weeks ago. My Mandolin will also fit in the case quite comfortably without removing the TG. Nice case. Very beautiful when open, not quite as much Mojo when closed but still sharp. I would NOT stand on(some here have mentioned being able to do this with a Calton) the Concord case - unless you are child prodigy :) . I was lucky and bought mine during The "apres" Thanksgiving sale. I would still consider one at the current price but might hold out for a pre-owned Calton for $150 -$200 additional.

Count me as another who is very surprised you hear no difference with the TG. I have tried the TG on about 7-8 different Mandos whose value range was $1(my Antoniotsai hanger)- $4k(a buddy's F5G) , The difference seemed greatest on the "lesser" instruments but was, IMNSHO, clearly audible with every instrument I have tried with a TG.

foldedpath
Apr-27-2009, 2:24am
You might need to get a new case because taking it off and on besides weakening the spring is just a hassle. I got mine and it never comes off.

I never take mine off either. If I recall correctly, that's Tony's recommendation so the spring doesn't get bent out of tension. Also it's less wear on the finish over time, I think, compared to constantly taking it on and off. I'd worry about wearing grooves in the finish.

It fits perfectly in my TKL case but lately I have been using a Travelite case and when I close the lid it is held open maybe one inch and I have to apply a very small amount of pressure to close it up. The case is well padded and I believe the 1 inch is absorbed by the padding.

But it IS tight enough to cause me some concern. I believe if enough pressure was applied to the top it may crack the top, but the comfort of the light weight and being able to sling it along my back has kept me from switching back to my TKL case. I just try and be super careful with it.

I'm using a Travelite case too. For light duty transport to local jams and gigs, where I can be careful about how it's carried and stored, I think it's fine. I do treat it a little differently than I would a hardshell case, like making sure it's on top of a stack of instrument cases in the truck. I'll trade off that extra bit of care for the very light weight of a foam case, since I'm usually dragging other stuff around like a guitar or octave mandolin.

The first few times I used it with the ToneGard installed, it was a tight fit along the sides. But eventually the lining and semi-hard foam makes indentations for the ToneGard and then it goes in smoothly.

There is a minor indentation pattern from the bridge in the inner top lining when I put it in the case with the ToneGard on, and it takes a light press of the hand on the top to get the zipper closed. But I don't worry about it. I think there's a fine line there, between being too tight and not being snug enough, where the mandolin might be free to rattle around inside the case. Not every mandolin is exactly the same size though, so be careful.

mandroid
Apr-27-2009, 9:53am
I do have another case that fits so snugly in height , that the extra thickness of a TG on will not fit.
it is a non original but period case that I have for the A '0'
the sweaty player [wet Polarguard] marks left on the back of it's varnish , is why I got a TG for the A4, prevention.

Steve Perry
Apr-27-2009, 1:55pm
The trick to closing the lid on a Travelite with a Tone-Guard equipped mando inside is to not use the metal clasp. The zipper and two velcro flaps are more than enough to keep the case closed.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-27-2009, 2:56pm
If you hold your mandolin away from your body when you play you probably wouldn't hear a difference. With that said, it makes it easier for to play with the tonegard because I don't have to hold it away from my body, the tonegard does that for me. Mine never come off any of my mandolins. Calton, TKL, MusiciansFriend cases, they all fit.

tburcham
Apr-27-2009, 6:03pm
I use the rectangular Ameritage case and the way they design their mandolin suspension system, it easily allows for a tone guard. These cases are heavy, but offer great protection and fabulous storage space (including the tone guard).

Frank Johnson
Apr-28-2009, 11:21am
There's a lot more to this question than I thought. I never considered losing tension or marking grooves in the mandolin by taking it off and putting it back on.

I don't have any clue what the case is, 'coz it came with the mandolin when I bought it used. It's a sold case, though, with plush lining, so I think it's a purty good one (it isn't cardboard, at least). It's more solid than my guitar cases, and I have some good guitar cases.

Sometime this week I'll just tote the whole thing down to the local little music shop and have them peep it out and tell me if THEY think it's an issue or if I'm over-reacting.

And since some are surprised that I can't tell any difference in the sound, saying I've been holding it away from my body is as good an excuse an any other, so I'll go with that. :whistling:

Thanks for the input!

Scotti Adams
Apr-28-2009, 11:31am
I have my Tone Gard on my Clark mando and the mando came with the fiberglass Eastman shaped case. Its a little snug but as mentioned before the padding has adapted and it fits just fine.