PDA

View Full Version : My 1923 A4 copy

Mike Black
Apr-24-2009, 11:12pm
I just recently finished my project of copying a friends 1923 A4 today and wanted to post a few pictures.

I probably should have used some birch for the back and sides, but I used some nice wide grain plain maple that I had lying around, it looks close.

It's didn't turn out an exact copy; I did make a few things different. I ended up making the top arch more than the original and added a Virzi too! :mandosmiley: I really like the way the finish came out. It's a little more along the lines of a tobacco sunburst that the red sunburst, but hey, I tried. Also I put a compound radius and bigger frets on the fingerboard.

It has a french polish shellac finish. I still need to do the clearing on it but I figured that I'd let it harden a little longer first.

Thanks!

Mike Black
Apr-24-2009, 11:13pm
Here are a couple of art shots :grin:

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-24-2009, 11:24pm
That's a stunning piece of craftsmanship there Mike.You've got the aged appearance spot on & you've managed to match the woods superbly - awesome work !,
Saska;)

grandcanyonminstrel
Apr-24-2009, 11:27pm
'Looks great Mike!

j.
www.condino.com

Mike Black
Apr-24-2009, 11:34pm
Oh, and here is the label. ;)

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-25-2009, 12:00am
I just had a look at the "threebeansalad" site Mike & came upon the info.that you worked at 'Summit' Mandolins no less. A friend of mine has a Summit F-5 which is a superb instrument in every respect - i now understand why your own instruments are looking so good,
Saska

Mike Bromley
Apr-25-2009, 2:03am
Another product of the Lawrence, Kansas Mandolin Anomaly.....What is it about Lawrence, smack dab in the middle, that produces so much great MandoMojo?

Trey Young
Apr-25-2009, 4:31am
nice job, that looks great.

Skip Kelley
Apr-25-2009, 6:12am
Mike, I had to look at your pictures again! Your mandolin looks so much like an old Gibby! You did an awesome job!! Time to start the next!:)

Scott Tichenor
Apr-25-2009, 6:33am
Mike, looks great. Like to get my paws on this one today.

JEStanek
Apr-25-2009, 7:47am
That looks great! I think I prefer it to the old one with the added Virzi and larger frets. Congratulations.

Jamie

Randi Gormley
Apr-25-2009, 8:03am
beautiful, beautiful piece of workmanship. drool

Scott Tichenor
Apr-25-2009, 1:43pm
Wow. Killer vintage tone, great workmanship. I really like the sound and wonder how much the Virzi is contributing. We played a few tunes on it and it's got the vibe. Very nice.

Mike Black
Apr-25-2009, 1:46pm
Mike, I had to look at your pictures again! Your mandolin looks so much like an old Gibby! You did an awesome job!! Time to start the next!:)

Skip,
I've already started a couple more octaves (one will be my first sell :disbelief: ) I've been thinking of making a Loar A-5 too. I got to play Ken Sager's Hester Carpathian A5 today (it was awesome!) and it started another bug. I'd also like to take a stab at a 2-point (alla Jethro). ;)

Mike Black
Apr-25-2009, 4:06pm
Wow. Killer vintage tone, great workmanship. I really like the sound and wonder how much the Virzi is contributing. We played a few tunes on it and it's got the vibe. Very nice.

Scott,
Thanks for playing some good vibes into it. It's already sounding better since this afternoon. I'm excited to hear what it sounds like after getting a few more hours playing time on it. It's not bad for 24 hours old. :grin:

Mark Walker
Apr-27-2009, 10:57am
Mike - GREAT looking mandolin! That's a kick-butt looking replica! Keep up the great work - and the great looks! :)

Mark Seale
Apr-27-2009, 11:35am
Oh, and here is the label. ;)

That's a great label. Did you use a parchment paper for that or just a heavy bond paper? It adds such a great touch.

Scotti Adams
Apr-27-2009, 12:18pm
Very classy..I really like it.

Mike Black
Apr-27-2009, 12:30pm
That's a great label. Did you use a parchment paper for that or just a heavy bond paper? It adds such a great touch.

I actually used bright white card stock and Scott's wife Annie told me of a little trick of soaking the paper in tea to give it the old aged look. It gives it that little stained look too.

Darryl Wolfe
Apr-27-2009, 12:39pm
Great job!!

Jim Roberts
Apr-27-2009, 12:56pm
Looks right on, Mike. Is that a one-piece back? Great craftsmanship.

Mike Black
Apr-27-2009, 1:00pm
Looks right on, Mike. Is that a one-piece back? It looks fantastic.

Hey Jim!
Yeah, it is a one-piece back. The maple I have was plenty big enough for a one-piece back and I actually thought about cutting it in half and making a two piece back...but that would have been pointless. Except for looks I guess.

Jim Roberts
Apr-27-2009, 1:49pm
I think the one-piece looks super!

Chris Keth
Apr-27-2009, 2:19pm
That is really beautiful. I actually prefer the finish on yours to the Gibson. The sunburst is blended just slightly more gradually, which I prefer.

Do you have any sound clips around? Maybe a youtube video? :)

Tripp Johnson
Apr-27-2009, 4:55pm
Gorgeous!!!

Mike Black
Apr-28-2009, 2:55pm
Do you have any sound clips around? Maybe a youtube video? :)

I'll see what I can do Wednesday, If not it will be this weekend.

D.E.Williams
Apr-28-2009, 5:57pm
That thar is purty...

Charles E.
Apr-28-2009, 6:24pm
Mike, what a great job! Did you copy the graduations and use a single brace like the Gibson or use your own and use transverse bars or X-bracing?

mtucker
Apr-28-2009, 7:52pm
Very nice. Like the music too...! ;)

Mike Black
Apr-28-2009, 11:29pm
Mike, what a great job! Did you copy the graduations and use a single brace like the Gibson or use your own and use transverse bars or X-bracing?

I didn't copy the graduations exactly, but used arching templates as a guide and let the wood be the final judge. I did use the original Gibson single brace and added a Virzi. :mandosmiley:

Mike Black
Apr-29-2009, 9:19pm
Here are a couple of tunes that I quickly recorded after our band practice tonight. It was recorded directly on our guitar players MP3 recorder in our front room.

Darren Kern
May-02-2009, 6:14pm
Mike, this is a beautiful looking and sounding instrument, you've got it figured out bud. I think the more I'm around mandos, which admittedly has been much less time than many of you, my ears are really growing to prefer the sound of an oval hole like this. I like the resonating full sound they seem to have.

This work is very INspiring to those of us that are ASpiring builders. Thank you sir.

Ted Eschliman
May-03-2009, 6:16am
I'd also like to take a stab at a 2-point (alla Jethro). ;)
<drool>
You know who to come to for testing that one, Mike...

Ken Olmstead
May-03-2009, 9:16am
Mike, that is really sweet! Nice job all around!

Ken Sager
May-06-2009, 12:04pm
I'm late in chiming in here. Mike's mandolin was fantastic and a terrific copy of the old snakehead he used as his template. It's really a strong mandolin and beautifully crafted. His OM was terrific, too.

Mike, you're a force. Keep it up. It was good to see you, and thanks for the CD.

Best,
Ken