PDA

View Full Version : Weber Sage

mmukav
Aug-07-2004, 1:12pm
Well--after playing the Morgan Monroe Zouk for a couple weeks, I got frustrated with it and bought a Weber Sage #1--Octave Mando--much happier now! Very nicely made, great woods, much nicer sound, intonation is good, plays easy, just better all around! Now for the $ the Morgan Monroe wasn't bad, but I just couldn't get around some issues with it. Also the Weber has a much woodier, more natural sound.
I messed around with octave strings on the lower 2 courses, but have gone back to unison strings and am very happy with the instrument.

jmkatcher
Aug-07-2004, 1:40pm
It's a really cool instrument. If I didn't have a custom on order, I'd buy one myself. I was very impressed about how loud and rich the sound was coming from a seemingly small box, and the scale isn't too bad either.

Unseen122
Aug-07-2004, 6:33pm
The Weber Octaves I have played are really nice.

Hoyt
Aug-07-2004, 7:23pm
I had one and am still kicking myself for selling it.

I have a much more expensive one now that does sound better in some respects -- but not much better -- and the Sage had a vibe about it that was most cool. I think the 23.5" scale has a lot to do with it.

It's definitely a keeper. From experience -- Don't sell that thing without thinking long and hard.

Hoyt

steve V. johnson
Aug-08-2004, 6:46pm
I'm curious... what were your issues with the Mid-Mo?

I had one here for a while, and while I chose not to buy it, I found it to be a pretty cool instrument.
There were things I'd change, tho... (You first! <GGG>)
Thx,

stv

mmukav
Aug-11-2004, 5:40pm
No--it wasn't a Mid-Mo--it was a Morgan Monroe bouzouki.
I really did like the sound of it though, but had issues with intonation, the tuners, and there were finish flaws.
But I love the Sage!

steve V. johnson
Aug-11-2004, 6:53pm
I have real issues with Morgan Monroe... I haven't seen a really good one yet. So far, of the Pacific Rim products I've played, the Trinity College are the best. Not great, but the best of that lot. Aside from inconsistencies and quality control issues, intonation and poor tuners, hey all have pretty thick finishes, and the necks are too skinny for my taste.

I'd MUCH rather have a Mid-Mo than any of the Johnsons, MorganMonroes, etc.

I really want (someday... <GG>) a custom Weber F-style Octave Mando.

stv