PDA

View Full Version : Strap over shoulder only, or around neck?

Marty Henrickson
Apr-23-2009, 9:41am
Simple question. Benefits of each, thoughts, opinions, etc......

Oliver R
Apr-23-2009, 9:52am
I will tend to use the over the shoulder method quite a bit through sheer laziness (cant be bothered to put the strap over my head) or if i'm swapping instruments a lot.
But....for serious lengthy playing sessions on the mandolin exclusively I will put it round my neck as this seems to offer much better balance and I don't feel i'm supporting the neck as much.

Dave Schimming
Apr-23-2009, 9:55am
I have tried both and prefer to have strap around neck so I don't have to worry about it slipping off the shoulder. Makes it a little more difficult when switching between mando & guitar but seems to work best for me.

Tobin
Apr-23-2009, 9:56am
I'm a strictly around-the-neck guy. It centers the mandolin better. When I just put it over my shoulder, I have to exert pressure with my right arm to keep it in position. And that affects my picking. I like for my mandolin to "hang" from the scroll. And even though it's not perfectly balanced (it wants to dip the neck down), I just find it easier to play with the strap over my left shoulder instead of my right.

Chris Keth
Apr-23-2009, 10:27am
Around the neck. I can't stand the one shoulder thing. I have to use my right arm to hold it on and it just kills the comfort and looseness of my picking hand. How did that come about anyway?

Martyweir
Apr-23-2009, 10:47am
+1 for over the shoulder. Pretty sure the reason for the over-the-shoulder style is to allow you to hold your mandolin back out away from your body - around the neck seems to snug the back right up to my belly. Lots of muting going on there!!!

I always laugh when somebody who doesn't play mando tries to throw my strap around their neck - they end up wearing it like a choker... fat guy with a little guitar!!!

Tobin
Apr-23-2009, 10:49am
How did that come about anyway?
Legend has it Bill Monroe did it so he could put on his mandolin without having to take off his hat.

Miked
Apr-23-2009, 10:56am
+1 for over the shoulder. Pretty sure the reason for the over-the-shoulder style is to allow you to hold your mandolin back out away from your body - around the neck seems to snug the back right up to my belly. Lots of muting going on there!!!

That's why I like the Tone-Gard! Around the neck works for me.:mandosmiley:

Chris Wofford
Apr-23-2009, 12:16pm
I am the fat guy with the little guitar. I wear mine over by head but run the strap under my right arm. That keeps it up high like I like it right now.

OldSausage
Apr-23-2009, 12:35pm
I thought it was weird at first, but now I've tried it, I like it. And wearing the strap over my shoulder isn't too bad either.

Denny Gies
Apr-23-2009, 12:40pm
I have tried both and have settled on the over the neck. The most important thing is which do you like? Which gives you the most comfort playing and the most confidence?

AlanN
Apr-23-2009, 12:40pm
Never could do the one shoulder thing. Butch, otoh, could do it very well.

I need to try that Grisman deal, the sax strap through the scroll.

mandroid
Apr-23-2009, 2:36pm
Trying arrangement a cord [mine happens to have once lived in someone's sweat shirt hood]
with a Cord lock in the middle, for length adjustment, and loops tied in each of the ends .

hanging over my head , in front , centers the instrument in front of me, for good balance.
. end pin jack / button and side of the neck button.

Dave Wrede
Apr-23-2009, 2:42pm
i've done both for awhile and have settled on the over-the-shoulder version. i tend to wear my guitar and mando higher than most folks i know (kinda like the "choker" Martyweir mentioned) so it just fits better. Plus, getting it off over my head with some shoulder arthritis setting in can be a real (litteral) pain.

billkilpatrick
Apr-23-2009, 2:49pm
ots - over the shoulder ... first time i saw it was on mike compton, in a film about the "cold mountain" film. at the time, i thought it was terribly affected. i start off hooking the strap at the back around my shoulder blade (doesn't mean it stays there, however) - it allows me to arch the mandolin away from my ever expanding paunch - thus - providing better tone.

jimbob
Apr-23-2009, 3:06pm
over the neck....feels like it's about to slip off other wise....tried it over the shoulder with both mando and banjo, but keep going back to over the neck. I wish over the shoulder would work for me 'cause it would be simpler....'specially with a hat~o)

Youda
Apr-23-2009, 6:26pm
When I've watched videos by performers that I really admire, I've watched that left-hand as closely as possible. What I see is that the left-hand rarely "grips" the neck and the thumb just barely touches the neck...so why am I talking about that in this thread? Because if the mando strap is around my neck, my left-hand is not needed to control or hold, or balance the instrument at all, making it possible to do quick position shifts, and quick fretting, without worrying about the thing slipping off my shoulder.

auteq
Apr-23-2009, 6:37pm
I started with on one shoulder, but stopped due to left shoulder pain. Probably a combo of old injuries and keeping my shoulder too tight/tense. I switched to shoulder and neck, so far so good but I only recently switched.

MT_player
Apr-23-2009, 6:55pm
Around the neck, I'm a recovering electric guitarist. One day at a time man...

JeffD
Apr-23-2009, 8:35pm
Legend has it Bill Monroe did it so he could put on his mandolin without having to take off his hat.

I have heard that too, but I don't know if I believe that.

pops1
Apr-23-2009, 9:15pm
Over the neck, but tied to the tuners not the scroll so it balances better. I can still hold it away for tone if i want.

Mike Bunting
Apr-23-2009, 9:21pm
I better get a hat to justify wearing it over my shoulder!

Jim Kirkland
Apr-23-2009, 9:28pm
Over the shoulder, best sound for me. Most of all, our band works a single mic, a lot easier to push the mando forward for breaks.

mandozilla
Apr-23-2009, 9:59pm
Over my head and under my right arm pit. And if you use a monkey strap (see photos below), you can let her hang down when not playing without worrying about it nose diving to the floor.

And even though it's not perfectly balanced (it wants to dip the neck down),

My mando had a carbon fiber rod, no truss rod, and is much lighter on the neck/peghead half so it doesn't tend to dip like you described. Lucky me. :grin:

~o):mandosmiley:

floyd floar
Apr-24-2009, 7:25am
Over the shoulder, for years because Monroe wore it that way. For some reason I tried around-the-neck and liked it better. Perhaps Bill wore his OTS because he had broad shoulders and a large torso.
BTW I really like playing while sitting down when I can- and not because I'm getting older!;) No strap is needed. For me, it's more comfortable and better control. But I realize bluegrassers can't perform live while seated-it just isn't an option at festivals and such.

AlanN
Apr-24-2009, 7:49am
I, too, prefer playing seated. And I use the strap when seated.

fredfrank
Apr-24-2009, 7:53am
I played for many years with it over my head, but I have always had trouble hearing it in some situations. Then, I shortened the strap to where it would be difficult to get it all the way over my head, and use the right shoulder method. I can hear it a lot better, since it's closer to my ears, and I find that my right hand is a better position for picking now. I also have one Sully's straps with the little pad that grips my shoulder so I don't have problems with it feeling like I'm losing the mandolin off my shoulder.

I find this method is also beneficial for playing over a one-mic system, since I don't have to hoik the mando up in the air to be heard over the mic.

Steve Ostrander
Apr-24-2009, 7:58am
Wwmd? :)

papawhisky
Apr-24-2009, 8:11am
I started over the shoulder and have always played that way. However, I am open to change and have recently experimented with over the neck. As usual, there seem to be trade offs. I like the position of the mandolin OTS. It extends from my body, so the back is free. I don't control the position with my left hand--because I cradle the mandolin with my right forearm (I'm right handed), it stays put even if I remove my left hand.
The trade off is that I have to balance keeping my right arm relaxed and keeping the mandolin pressed against my side.
When I play OTN, I don't like the lack of extension in the mandolin, leaving the back against my belly--and the mandolin seems to be floating out there in a way that is uncomfortable to me. I would probably get used to that if I did it enough. For now, I'm sticking with OTS.
My next move is to put the band on my shoulders.

300win
Apr-24-2009, 9:13am
Around the neck for all of the reasons already mentioned. When I started playing music I begin on guitar, then banjo, then the mandolin. If I put anything over just my shoulder it feels like it is going to slip off all the time, and I'm a fairly big guy with wide shoulders, 5'9" 250 lbs. Another thing is I've always been afraid I would drop the instrument. Just glad I ain't a full time banjo picker, the weight will kill your back.

Capt. E
Apr-24-2009, 9:16am
I will do both, but generally over the shoulder. That's how I wear the strap on my cajun accordion as well. I also wear a broad brimmed hat most of the time and putting the strap over the head knocks it off at times.

Mattg
Apr-24-2009, 9:28am
Sometimes, when I'm learning a new tune and practicing it over and over, I think my wife would prefer the strap to go around my neck, snugly. Just till I pass out though.