PDA

View Full Version : southern vermont/new hampshire

billkilpatrick
Apr-23-2009, 3:49am
anyone know of a teacher in the southern vermont/new hampshire area - near woodstock?

regards - bill

Mandobar
Apr-23-2009, 6:06am
keith murphy from the group Nightingale is near brattleboro.

Laird
Apr-25-2009, 12:35am
There's a fellow named Jake Geppert in Londonderry (VT), and I've also heard that the son of the family that sells Martins out of the Danby Four Corners general store is a good teacher. I'm going to be lurking, as I've been looking myself (though I'm across the state from you, on the NY border).

Paddydukes
Apr-25-2009, 8:48am
You could also try checking in with Dartmouth College, they are probably 20 minutes from woodstock, and you would figure they would have someone with your time working for them, there is also Hanover strings, pretty sure they do guitar lessons...and everytime i have been in there they have had a few nice Eastman F styles hanging on the wall.. I have also heard good things about the Danby son however, went to the store one time and it was very cool, like walking into a genral store past the soda machines into a back room with some real nice acoustic instruments! my kinda general store.

billkilpatrick
Apr-28-2009, 3:10am
whenever i go back, i check out hanover strings - reminds me of the folklore center on macdougal street in nyc (circa '60.)

thanks everyone for the suggestions. separately, i've heard of someone in the area named will wright. i'll email him when i get closer to the time but if that doesn't work i'll check out the names supplied here.

i don't really need a teacher - well ... i do, actually, but i won't have time to take advantage of the lessons - but what i want is one or two sessions with someone who'll show me where, how ... if? ... i can improve my playing. the good advice i learned here - even that which i stubbornly refuse to take on board - is all very well and very much appreciated but it can't beat a one-on-one.

thanks all - bill

Geiss
Apr-29-2009, 9:08pm
I was very impressed with Keith Murphy, having met him at the 08 March Mando Festival in Concord NH. Very low key fellow and pleasure to work with.
Dave

Rob Gerety
Jun-03-2009, 4:29pm
Keith is a great guy. He plays in a celtic style - not sure he plays any blue grass. He is a excellent musician. There is also David Surette - although he is all the way over in Portsmouth. I'm starting to think about taking a few mando lessons myself. Not sure who I will hook up with. Does anyone know any bluegrass type players in Northern New England that do some teaching?

Mandobar
Jun-04-2009, 10:21am
joe walsh out of portland. skip gorman is in Grafton, NH. when he's not on the road.

Ryk Loske
Jun-04-2009, 3:06pm
Rob ...

Highlight and underline the recommendation of Skip Gorman. for someone close to you. Wonderful on the guitar as well.

Ryk