PDA

View Full Version : Light stripe on Steve's Octave mandola

tailpiece
Aug-07-2004, 8:20am
Checking if this is working ok now

tailpiece
Aug-07-2004, 8:54am
To comment on the information posted about Steve's octave mandola.;
The wood I use is natural and when you joint the soundboard ; if you have a lighter shade on the edge of the soundboard as you bookmatch it, you will get a "double width"; this will give you a small stripe. # So this is nothing to do with a bad joint or glue or anything like #this. # #As I leave the soundboard natural and don't use any stain to cover anything up , you can occasionally see this on the soundboard.
#Hope this answers any doubts raised.
# # # # #The only reason that I was a bit upset was that Steve brought # #up a question that perhaps the instrument could be secondhand? (that he bought from me ,custom made) . # # #Anyone that knows me will know that I would never stoop so low, as I have pride in my work, and am the first person to try and be fair to all my customers; so found the question a bit insulting.
# # # #I have been back in touch with Steve every time he has contacted me and have given advice to him , and will continue to do so; if he still has a query with anything,
#I will help him with it.
# # # # #Mandolin Cafe is a terrific website and does a lot of good, and a lot of knowledge is gained from it, but from the luthier's side of it, it can sometimes be damaging to a business if INNACURATE #negative information is posted.
# # # # # # # #-----------

# # #Dave Freshwater.

mandolooter
Aug-07-2004, 12:31pm
Dave, I for one never had a doubt as to your intergity and excellent quality of your work. Keep at it! I can understand your concern's and always wonder why folks would wanna dis someone and/or there product here before all other avenues were totally exausted. I think things have a way of taking on a larger than life aspect around here sometimes...life in the computer age, so good, yet so bad since the peculiarities of face 2 face communication are missing. Im sure it will all work out and I hope no harm is done to your reputation in the process. Have a great weekend! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Adare_Steve
Aug-08-2004, 9:47am
The only reason that I was a bit upset was that Steve brought up a question that perhaps the instrument could be secondhand? (that he bought from me ,custom made) . Anyone that knows me will know that I would never stoop so low, as I have pride in my work, and am the first person to try and be fair to all my customers; so found the question a bit insulting.
I did not, at any time, suggest that my instrument was second-hand! I removed the post as soon as I saw Dave was upset by it. In fact, he sent me a very angry telephone message stating that I was losing him a great deal of business, which I doubt and it was certainly never my intention to do so.

But I can assure everyone that I posted only positive comments about Dave and the instrument. I simply asked if anyone had ever seen a similar mark before, as I could not find anything like it on other work of his. I had phoned him and e-mailed Dave 6 weeks prior to my post asking about the mark, but it is only now that he has chosen to reply. I also posted a photograph of the instrument to ensure that no one was in any doubt about what I meant, and to avoid being accused of being unfair to Dave.

I also e-mailed him with a 500 word explanation of why I made the post, at least 1 day before he made this one. I was extremely positive and apologised for taking the matter 'public', which he seemed to object to. Rather than reply to my personal e-mail (which he has not done so far) he has chosen to make a post misquoting me and stating that I insulted him.

This is puzzling as Dave did not agree with me going public in the first place. Also, given that I feel I behaved extremely properly - at least in trying to make amends, I am the one who is now feeling somewhat insulted.

Mandolooter's comments about me are in themselves very unfair and I'm convinced he didn't read the original post. I NEVER 'dissed' David Freshwater at any point in my post - and in fact said that he was a "good and patient man." I also clearly stated that I HAD previously tried to contact Dave about the matter before making the post.

Steve Power

steve V. johnson
Aug-08-2004, 6:54pm
I missed the part about anything 'second hand' in the first post...

John Greven last year put a new top on the guitar he made for me in '77, the new one has a blonder stripe. I knew I'd seen this happen somewhere else before, but didn't remember it til an old pal showed me a picture of me and the Greven with the new top.

I hope this is all straightened out. Adare Steve has gushed happily to me about the Freshwater since before he took delivery of it, and doubly since. And from my experience of him (I was a guest at his house once and his hospitality was wonderful), he doesn't toss around accusations. I know he had a question about the stripe, and I took it as legit because he's fairly new to buying, owning, maintaining and playing these things.

All the best,

stv

tailpiece
Aug-09-2004, 4:09am
Steve, I have offered help and advice all the way, and i don't have a problem with you taking anything public; what I DO find difficult to deal with is when a lot of details are not correct or "twisted" which is happening here. You and I know the full details , and certain bits have been left out,giving a bit of a one-sided view.
So there is no point in taking it further,as it has been made into something much bigger than it was,and it will only continue like this ; which is pretty daft!

Dave Freshwater.