PDA

View Full Version : Large Triangle Dunlop Ultex

jasona
Feb-08-2004, 3:42am
Ted posted that the large triangles were displayed at NAMM in Anaheim--has anybody seen them in a store yet?

J. Mark Lane
Feb-08-2004, 7:59am
Are these the purples ones? I just got a half dozen from Greg Boyd. I love 'em! They are now my first choice.

John Flynn
Feb-08-2004, 8:13am
The purple ones are the Tortex, I think. I have used those. They are nice, but very different from the Ultex. I read in another thread that the Ultex triangles will not hit the stores until April.

peterbc
Feb-08-2004, 2:43pm
The Ultex are a sorta puke brown color. I like them more than the Tortex, but I've since switched to mock tortoise shell (i think they're horn or something?)

mandolooter
Feb-08-2004, 3:31pm
Clayton has the big tri's out and has for a year or so, to my ear they sound exactly the same as the Ultex's and appear to be made out of the same material.

jasona
Feb-08-2004, 3:55pm
Mandolooter, to my ear the Clayton sounds tinny and has more pick chatter. I prefer the sound of the bevelled Dunlop. Agreed, it is the same material as far as I can tell.

John Flynn
Feb-08-2004, 4:12pm
I also prefer the Ultex to the similar Claytons. The Ultex's seem more "lively" for a given thickness and I think the edges are finished much better. I have tried almost every pick out there and I probably own about three dozen different types, but I keep coming back to the Ultex 1.0. As soon as the triangles come out, I will order at least a dozen!

mandolooter
Feb-08-2004, 10:01pm
Well, I won't argue with ya guys on that since my "testing" was done quite a while back and on a unfamilar mandolin as well. My currents fav's are a Golden Gate for the dry woodie sound and a Cool nylon teardrop for briteness and speed. #I've got one of the ivory ones Bratche makes that has really good tone as well but it really clicks on my soundboard so I mostly use it on my mandolute since it's sweet spot is over the soundhole.

Kevin K
Mar-30-2004, 11:21am
Any further word on the Ultex triangles?

Ted Eschliman
Mar-30-2004, 12:14pm
I ordered some for my store last week. They come in packs of six (list $3.60, street price $2.95). Unfortunately, they only go up to 1.0 in thickness (big mistake on their part...).
I'll be happy to post here when they arrive--I was told April(ish)...

jasona
Mar-30-2004, 11:06pm
Ted, I will be interested in hearing how they work--but I agree, 1.14 would be much better!

Skittle
Apr-11-2004, 8:30pm
Yes Yes the 1.14 would be the best ultex. I had called customer service around the 1st week of January and they said that the other lower guages would only be made. Maybe with other requests from pickers they will produce them. "We gotta make it happen"

Coy Wylie
Apr-11-2004, 9:19pm
I love the Ultex, been my pick of choice for several months now. I'm in on trying to get them to manufacture some 1.14 mm's. What do we need to do?

Skittle
Apr-20-2004, 5:40pm
We need to call their customer service and bug the heck out of them to produce them. They would no doubt sell as much, if not more of the 1.14 triangles than any others. CALL..CALL...CALL

Mike Crocker
Apr-20-2004, 11:03pm
Hey Ted...Any chance I could mail order some from you? I'd take some 0.73mm and some 1.00mm. I'd happily send a returnable shipping package along.

Thanks!

Mooh.

Ted Eschliman
Apr-21-2004, 12:23pm
Got your message, Mike, & replied offline. Thanks.
Latest update from my suppliers: E.T.A. is now mid-May.
I'll let everyone know if there is any change.

Mike Crocker
Apr-22-2004, 6:39am
Thanks.

I'm no longer surprised at how long it takes the average retailer to respond to customer requests, and manufacturers are notoriously unresponsive much of the time, but Ted returns a message almost before it's sent to him!

Gotta love the mandolin community.

Peace, Mooh.