PDA

View Full Version : That's the way

TeleMark
Aug-06-2004, 6:05pm
Hi,

I'm a true Newbie (Trubie?) here, and WRT mandolin. I picked up a cheapie Rover last week at Buffalo Brothers. I've played guitar for a while, but always loved the sound of a mando.

One of the things I've always liked about Led Zeppelin is their acoustic stuff. Lots of mando in there, too. Battle of Evermore comes to mind first, but I think there is mandolin in "that's the way," as well. Has anyone ever seen tab for this song? I searched the forum, but didn't find any hits.

Thanks,

TeleMark

mandocrucian
Aug-06-2004, 7:35pm
There have been a lot of published Led Zep transcription books; some have been full scores. You'll have to be able to read notation because any mandolin lines, if tabbed, have been transposed for guitar. #Here are a couple of the books that are out there which may have what you are looking for.

Led Zeppelin: Acoustic Classics, Volume 2
Performed by Led Zeppelin. For acoustic guitar and voice. Format: guitar tablature songbook. With guitar tablature, standard notation, vocal melody, lyrics, chord names and guitar notation legend. Metal and Hard Rock. 144 pages. 9x12 inches. Published by Warner Brothers. (WB.PG9504)

The spotlight falls on the acoustic side of these heralded hard rock heroes. Titles are: Battle of Evermore * Black Mountain Side * Gallows Pole * Hats Off to (Roy) Harper * Ramble On * That's the Way * The Rain Song * Your Time Is Gonna Come.

Led Zeppelin: Classic Led Zeppelin III
Performed by Led Zeppelin. For guitar and voice. Format: guitar tablature songbook. With guitar tablature, standard notation, vocal melody, lyrics, chord names, guitar notation legend and performance notes. Metal and Hard Rock. 168 pages. 9x12 inches. Published by Warner Brothers. (WB.GF0460)

Contents:
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
Celebration Day
Friends
Gallows Pole
Hats Off To (Roy) Harper
Immigrant Song
Out On The Tiles
Since I've Been Loving You
Tangerine
That's The Way

Led Zeppelin: Classic Led Zeppelin IV
Performed by Led Zeppelin. For guitar and voice. Format: guitar tablature songbook. With guitar tablature, standard notation, vocal melody, lyrics, chord names, guitar tab glossary and performance notes. Metal and Hard Rock. 187 pages. 9x12 inches. Published by Warner Brothers. (WB.GF0488)

Contents:
Battle Of Evermore
Black Dog
Four Sticks
Going To California
Misty Mountain Hop
Rock & Roll
When The Levee Breaks
Stairway To Heaven

However, because these full scores are out, there are really accurate midi files of these tunes floating; the person just copies the scores onto his notational program and produces it as a midi. #So, if you find these quality midis, you just reverse the process - open the midi file with a notational program so that the thing is translated back into a notated score.

Niles Hokkanen

SiFi
Aug-06-2004, 10:41pm
You'll need the score book for the second set of Remasters discs (ie not the original boxed set), although as Niles points out you'll need to be able to read standard notation.

Other possibilities are to check out the tab/score books for the BBC Sessions or Unledded (if such beasts exist).

Cheers,

Simon

OdnamNool
Aug-06-2004, 11:42pm
How interesting...

I mention Led Zeppelin and my post is called "inane."

Since then, I have seen many references to Led Zeppelin... #oh yeah... #guess I forgot... #You guys are hip... #Don't catch the riff...

#http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif