PDA

View Full Version : Post a tabledit file as an attachment?

surfcow
Apr-20-2009, 7:50pm
Hi there,

I have an arrangement I would like to share. Is there any way to post a tabledit file (.TEF format) as an attachment?

The list of allowable formats is: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg mp3 pdf png txt. If I try to upload a .TEF file, I get an "invalid format" message.

Thanks,
=brian

Scott Tichenor
Apr-20-2009, 8:27pm
Test upload of a .tef file. I don't have any experience with these so you'll need to tell me if there are any problems here. Doesn't appear as such though. Don't see any problem with adding the capability to upload these. I set upload size to around 9MB not knowing what the file sizes might be, but would think that should be adequate.

Bernie Daniel
Apr-20-2009, 9:34pm
It certainly looks like Scott's effort was successfull.

I would point out however that some months ago I tried the same thing --i.e., to upload a .tef file that I had created (it was in the Celtic section/Angus Campbell string) and I got the same invalid format notice as I recall.

Scott maybe as the admin. you have more posting rights? Don't know.

Anyway I saved the .tef to the printer as a .pdf and then uploaded to the Cafe that way.

For what it is worth.

Bill Snyder
Apr-20-2009, 10:36pm
The listing of accepted files shows the maximum size as 976 kb not 9 mb.

surfcow
Apr-20-2009, 11:46pm
Let's see if it works this time....

=brian

Scott Tichenor
Apr-21-2009, 6:03am
I left off a number in my input so it should be set same as an MP3 now which is more than enough room I'd think. To answer that question, users have same upload rights as admin. The issue is that you just don't turn on uploading for all file extensions because that's a real dangerous thing to do on the web. So file extensions get added as they're identified and OK'd for use. I don't use TableEdit so had never occurred to me that anyone might want to upload them, but it's fine to do so.

Bernie Daniel
Apr-21-2009, 6:04am
OK let me try. Here is a .tef of Dusty Miller the way Monroe plays it on the double DVD in the key of A.

JEStanek
Apr-21-2009, 7:48am
Scanning through my TEF library, 9MB is pretty huge. All of my TEF files (handily provided by Mandozine.com (http://www.mandozine.com/music/zipfiles.php) are less than 60KB and the majority (80%) are under 20KB. In fact the ZIP file with ALL of the TEF files on Mandozine is less than 6MB. I think you can ratchet down the allowable file size considerably to protect the server.

Mandozine has always been one of my first go to sites when recommending tab for a traditional tune for people. Mandozine also accepts new TEF submissions. (http://www.mandozine.com/index.php/TablEditFAQ/FAQinfo/tabledit_file_submissions/) I think this is a nice enhancement to the Café but if you do post one here, it might be a good idea to submit them to Mandozine as well where finding them later may be easier as they can be grouped by genre and found with a good TEF file search engine.

Jamie