PDA

View Full Version : A very clean vintage case

Jack Roberts
Apr-20-2009, 7:41pm
with a surprise inside

Chris Keth
Apr-20-2009, 8:21pm
with a surprise inside

I think I let out an audible gasp when I saw that. F4s are just lovely. What year? It looks in pretty remarkable condition.

mandomania7923
Apr-20-2009, 9:01pm
Looks like a 1917 to me.

Jack Roberts
Apr-20-2009, 9:59pm
1915. S/N 22227.

I first saw this mandolin over two years ago, and when I opened the case I almost fainted. For two years I have been trying to teach the owner to play it, but he finally gave up and sold it to me.

This mandolin was purchased in the around 1920 from a music shop in San Diego by Mrs. Mary Greene and given to her young daughter, Jennette Greene. Jennette made her best efforts, but complained that the strings hurt her fingers. Once she married and moved away from her parents, she put it in a closet and forgot about it--for 75 years. It was played once in a while, and it went to a music shop in Berkeley once for setup about 30 years ago, but it mostly sat unplayed.

Two years ago Jennette died and her son, already in his 70s, inherited it. He did not have any recollection of his mother playing it, nor did he remember it at all from his childhood. He is a retired JPL scientist and thought he would have time in his retirement to learn to play, but as brilliant as he is, he has no patience for learning a stringed instrument. None of his children are interested in learning to play mandolin, so he asked if I would help him find a buyer for it. I told him what it is worth, what I could afford to pay, and we came to an agreement.

I think I am done buying mandolins for the rest of my life.

Chris Keth
Apr-20-2009, 10:22pm
That is way cool! It's so cool when you know the history of your instrument beyond "I bought it..."

I'm trying to feel out my uncle on the subject of an old gibson a-model (that's as much as I know) that he's had since the late 60s. He bought it from his aunt when he was in college. As far as I know he doesn't play it anymore and, if he has no intention of playing it again, I'd love to give it the attention it deserves.

viv
Apr-20-2009, 10:32pm
wonderful story....i'm thinking providence smiled hugely upon you.

tree
Apr-21-2009, 8:09am
Congratulations, what a nice story! I hope it sounds half as good as it looks. Make the most of your time together!

sgarrity
Apr-21-2009, 8:24am
Cool story and what a find!! I'm sure you'll enjoy that for many years to come!

Scott Austin
Apr-21-2009, 8:34am
Jack,
Great story and a beautiful mandolin, will you post some sounds?
Scott

danb
Apr-21-2009, 8:38am
How about a back photo Jack ? :-)

Capt. E
Apr-21-2009, 8:56am
I love the decorated tuner buttons! It looks like new. Now for playing it in.

Michael Gowell
Apr-21-2009, 10:11am
A true closet queen. Yum.

Jill McAuley
Apr-21-2009, 10:53am
Congratulations Jack - what a beautiful mandolin and how great to know the story behind it. Well done and enjoy!

Cheers,
Jill

SternART
Apr-21-2009, 11:39am
Nice case!!!

Jack Roberts
Apr-22-2009, 7:22pm
How about a back photo Jack ? :-)

It looks like nice photo weather today. If I can get home before sunset I'll take some pictures and forward them to you, Dan.

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone.

D.E.Williams
Apr-22-2009, 9:08pm
That's a great story. You can't beat that kind of provenance in an old instrument. Congrats on the acquisition...

Jim Roberts
Apr-22-2009, 10:55pm
Mojo workin'!!!!!