PDA

View Full Version : User Finder

Benjamin Farnum
Apr-20-2009, 2:24pm
Is there, or could you make a user search thing-a-ma-gig?

If you could do that that would be awesome!!:cool::grin:

MikeEdgerton
Apr-20-2009, 2:50pm
Benjamin, what are you searching for?

Scott Tichenor
Apr-20-2009, 4:26pm
The forum software has always had a member list of users (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/memberlist.php) that was accessible through a few different links although I'm guessing few have ever seen it and fewer have made use of it. If you want to go blazing through close to 16K user IDs, be our guest :).

Benjamin Farnum
Apr-20-2009, 5:23pm
@Mike: I was searching to see if any of my friends were on here.

@Scott: Thanks.:mandosmiley::grin:

(16K!!!):disbelief:

journeybear
Apr-20-2009, 5:30pm
I was searching to see if any of my friends were on here. ... ... (16K!!!) :disbelief:

If you go to the members list via the link Scott gave you or some other way, there is a search engine with advanced search capability, so you can look for your friends that way. It does notify you that the fields are optional, so depending on what information your friends have offered for public consumption your search could be over pretty quick. After all, there are a lot of weisenheimers hereabouts, so their info may tend to be humorous, frivolous, or otherwise, ah, unhelpful regarding searches. For instance, out of over 16,000 members, only 36 have listed their occupation as "musician." That just can't be true ... ;) :whistling:

Scott Tichenor
Apr-20-2009, 6:26pm
If you go to the members list via the link Scott gave you or some other way, there is a search engine with advanced search capability, so you can look for your friends that way. It does notify you that the fields are optional, so depending on what information your friends have offered for public consumption your search could be over pretty quick. After all, there are a lot of weisenheimers hereabouts, so their info may tend to be humorous, frivolous, or otherwise, ah, unhelpful regarding searches. For instance, out of over 16,000 members, only 36 have listed their occupation as "musician." That just can't be true ... ;) :whistling:

Yea, and if you're a web developer there's a rule that if you really want to muck up things really well, put out a web form and let users fill them out. You can't gauge real content on what users would put in those fields. Most people don't want to fill out a bunch of fields. They just want to register and get on with it participating. And in case you're wondering, you'd get this same response from me if you'd said 360 or 3,600 :).

journeybear
Apr-20-2009, 6:38pm
Most people don't want to fill out a bunch of fields. They just want to register and get on with it participating. And in case you're wondering, you'd get this same response from me if you'd said 360 or 3,600 :).

Puny, silly humans!

It's true, though. Just this afternoon I got a notice from a friend whose new album is out offering a free download of one song by going to such-and-such website. It wasn't exactly free - I had to create an account and register at the site, even though I knew I'd never even go there again. And I didn't want to open myself up for yet more junk mail. All this wouldn't have mattered, but the song ended up being not all that great after all, certainly not worth the time and effort.

Oh well, that's life in the interweb age ...

Jim MacDaniel
Apr-20-2009, 7:28pm
Hi Benjamin,

As an example, using the advance search option described above, I found 2 people from Galena including yourself, 81 whose location field includes "Missouri", and 79 whose location includes the text string ", MO".

-jim