PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Vacation

Jimmy Sample
Apr-20-2009, 11:17am
For our vacation this year my wife and I are leaving from Arkansas and heading to Williamsburg, Virginia. Our trip could take is straight through Tennessee to Virginia, or we could make our way up and through Kentucky. We haven't decided yet. However, I want to use this opportunity to visit as many mandolin or music stores that sell mandolins as possible since I'm in the market to buy a new instrument.

Again, I'm not sure of the route we're taking, but if anyone has suggestions of good places to shop in those states, please let me know.

I know this is a very general question, but based on any response I get I can get an idea of how to plan the trip. I'm looking for higher end mandolin, since I have a little money put away, and should have more by the end of the year.

My wife is also looking for knitting shops (she's looking for a spinning wheel to buy) but I don't expect many responses on this forum, but I might get lucky...

Thanks for your input,
Jimmy

Dan Johnson
Apr-20-2009, 11:22am
I don't know of any mando retailers down there... But I noticed you live in Hot Springs.... Me, my gal and a couple of friends were on our way to California and went down that way... We ended up in some little coffee shop, up some stairs, and there were about twenty people in there picking and singing... You know that place? That was awesome!

Jimmy Sample
Apr-20-2009, 11:42am
Dan,

Hey, that's so cool you were in Hot Springs. The place you're talking about it probably The Poet's Loft. Was it downtown, right across from Bathhouse Row? It might also have been Vicki's Coffee Corner...

I actually work for the Convention and Visitor's Bureau, so I'm really glad to read you comments.

We have a lot of great musicians in Hot Springs, unfortunatly, I'm not one of them. I'm a living room picker, and only play for my Wife and Dog. But, I've heard some good playing around town.

Anyway, glad you had a chance to visit my neck of the woods!

Jimmy

JEStanek
Apr-20-2009, 11:42am
There is a knitting shop in Lansdale, PA that has nice spinning wheels, The Lamb's Wool (http://www.thelambswool.com/spin.htm). My wife is a knitter and loves that shop.

For mandolins, in Philadelphia there is Fred Osters Vintage Instruments (http://www.vintage-instruments.com/). That's a fun store. Call ahead to arrange an appointment. It's within walking distance of other shopping (Talbots, etc) so you can have some alone time there.

Jamie

barney 59
Apr-20-2009, 12:24pm
Through that region -Kentucky, W.VA, S.W.Va. and on to the coast on any given weekend there will be a bluegrass festival somewhere and probably several.You should do a search and try and time your trip to coordinate with those. I used to really like the little ones,mostly non- professional when I lived back there they were the most fun because you ended up jamming most of the time rather than watching.

rgray
Apr-20-2009, 12:27pm
I lived in Arkansas for 10 years (Jacksonville and Little Rock) and have lived in Virginia near Williamsburg for the past 23 years. Assuming you are taking I40, your drive will take you right through Nashville and something tells me that there may be a music store or two in that particular town.;) Memphis should also have a few. You will be passing the vicinity of Gianna Violins (http://www.giannaviolins.com/esmando/home.html), southeast of Knoxville. They seem to be good people here on the forum. At Knoxville you have the choice of looping south through NC or taking I81 up into Virginia. I81 takes you up through the Appalachian Mountains and Smoky Mountains and I would think there is a store or two in bluegrass territory. If you take I64 into Williamsburg, you go through Richmond. Depending on your wallet-size you may want to contact Charles Johnson at Vintage Mandolins (http://www.vintagemandolin.com/). I think he works by appointment. About an hour north of Richmond off I95 you will find Picker's Supply (http://www.pickerssupply.com/) in Fredericksburg. A little further on the southeast outskirts of Washington DC, you will find two Melodee Music stores (http://www.melodeemusic.com/). I recommend the Leesburg store for mandolins. While in Colonial Williamsburg, be on the lookout for the strolling mandolin and fiddle players dressed in colonial garb and playing 18th century music for the tourists. Have a great trip!:grin:

Steve Perry
Apr-20-2009, 1:27pm
In addition to those already mentioned... Going to Virginia, take the northern route (I-64) and stop off at First Quality in Louisville. On the way home, take the southern route (I-40) and see The Music Outlet (Sevierville) and Smoky Mountain Guitars (Pigeon Forge) in the Knoxville, Tn area. In Nashville, see Gruhn's, Cotten Music, and the Gibson OAI factory. All of those places have websites... just google 'em.

JEStanek
Apr-20-2009, 2:16pm
I gave my two places based on you being in Maine and coming down I95. If that's not the case... those are still great places to visit for mandolins and knitting supplies if you're in the area!

Jamie

kestrel
Apr-20-2009, 2:33pm
"...my wife and I are leaving from Arkansas and heading to Williamsburg, Virginia."

"I gave my two places based on you being in Maine and coming down I95."

Jamie -

Duuuuuuuuuuude, you gotta quit hanging up on thoughts of the New Jersey CBOM-o-rama.

Maine a way off from Arkan-saw! Kinda even in kinda' a whole different direction.:)

Gene

Daniel Nestlerode
Apr-20-2009, 4:58pm
If you're driving through TN, you should definitely stop in Nash-vegas for a look-see at Gruhn's.

Daniel

D C Blood
Apr-20-2009, 5:31pm
Gruhn, Big Joe's, Cotten, ...you could check at Sim Daley's but he generally works by custom order and doesn't keep stock...Gruhn always has a good selection of high end...Big Joe has a nice selection of good'ns...

JEStanek
Apr-20-2009, 5:56pm
Gene, You're spot on! I gotta learn not to post when I have a wicked cold. I totally misread this

But I noticed you live in Hot Springs.... Me as being Maine!

Wellll.... if anyone in my area is jonesing for mandolins and spinning wheels, see above, all others, my apologies. :redface:

Jamie

jim_n_virginia
Apr-20-2009, 5:57pm
Yeah stop and look at all the mandolins you can before you get to Williamsburg or Norfolk/Va Beach area (30 mins away) because you be hard pressed to find a decent mandolin anywhere around here.

The few music shops I have stopped in Williamsburg had the usual MK's and an occasional Eastman.

In the Hampton Roads area (comprises 7 cities) there are 3 big music stores and only one Alpha Music in Va Beach has a decent mandolin hanging on a wall. It is Gibson F-5L and and F-5G and both have been hanging there forever and they are no bargains.

If you go by Picker's Supply in Fredricksburg I hear they have a nice supply of mandolins sometimes.

If you are in Williamsburg after Memorial Day the the parking lot jams in Va Beach start up at the Va Beach Farmer's Market from 7pm till ?? and there are usually 3 or 4 big groups jamming and it is pretty fun.

Several Cafers hang out there including me, Bucket, sgarrity, cwilson.

It's only up I64 a ways and across the bridge tunnel.

Also in Williamsburg you will find a LOT of stores and stuff pertaining to spinning and all that. Especially if you look around the historic part of the town, it's pretty cool like going back in time, people wearing period clothes and making things the old fashioned way.

mrmando
Apr-20-2009, 6:12pm
I sold a Gibson EM200 to a guy who said he played in a band that performed at Williamsburg. If you see someone rockin' out in a three-cornered hat (move over, Paul Revere & the Raiders!), it's probably him.

Big Joe
Apr-20-2009, 8:43pm
I would be happy to have you visit our place in Nashville. We always have plenty of good instruments and we would be happy to show you our shop and some of the work we are doing. Always interesting with lots of cool things to see.

Mando a Mando
Apr-20-2009, 10:08pm
Don't know about mandolin shops along this route, but this may make the trip a little more enjoyable. http://www.thecrookedroad.org/

Werter

viv
Apr-20-2009, 10:17pm
"...my wife and I are leaving from Arkansas and heading to Williamsburg, Virginia."

"I gave my two places based on you being in Maine and coming down I95."

Jamie -

Duuuuuuuuuuude, you gotta quit hanging up on thoughts of the New Jersey CBOM-o-rama.

Maine a way off from Arkan-saw! Kinda even in kinda' a whole different direction.:)

Gene

:)):))...as a directionally challenged individual--and i mean directionally challenged in a very large way--i got some major LOL outta this. bless our hearts--right, jamie?

banjoboy
Apr-21-2009, 12:13am
Well, if you stop in Nashville, you have to stop by the Gibson Showcase.

fatt-dad
Apr-21-2009, 7:20am
Look at http://www.vintagemandolins.com/ and then give Charles Johnson a call. He can show you any of his inventory from his house, but you have to call ahead. He has some great mandolins and is in Richmond, Virginia.

f-d

Gerard Dick
Apr-21-2009, 7:45am
Mandolin players in Colonial Williamsburg? Isn't that anachronistic?

btrott
Apr-21-2009, 7:58am
Mandolin players in Colonial Williamsburg? Isn't that anachronistic?

Hi Gerard, not only is it not anachronistic, it is perfectly appropriate. Mandolin was played in colonial America, not only in Virginia, but in Philadelphia, New York, and other locales. You can see an article on the mandolin in colonial America with references to various concerts, music being written, and lessons offered in this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31944&highlight=colonial). Scroll down a few posts to see the article.

Barry (who does play mandolin in Colonial Williamsburg)

rgray
Apr-21-2009, 9:00am
Hi Gerard, not only is it not anachronistic, it is perfectly appropriate. Mandolin was played in colonial America, not only in Virginia, but in Philadelphia, New York, and other locales. You can see an article on the mandolin in colonial America with references to various concerts, music being written, and lessons offered in this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31944&highlight=colonial). Scroll down a few posts to see the article.

Barry (who does play mandolin in Colonial Williamsburg)

Barry,

Do you teach at Williamsburg Guitar Lessons? If so, then you are the troubadour instructor that Brad Patton mentioned when I inquired about lessons.

John Kasley
Apr-21-2009, 9:20am
Jimmy, I note on your profile you're interested in Irish Traditional Music. There is an Irish Session that recently started up in the Williamsburg Area on Monday nights at Squires on Mooretown Road, 7-9 pm. I haven't been yet, but plan to ....just hope I don't get stuck sitting between a piper and accordionist:)

btrott
Apr-25-2009, 6:59am
Barry,

Do you teach at Williamsburg Guitar Lessons? If so, then you are the troubadour instructor that Brad Patton mentioned when I inquired about lessons.

Nope, that's a friend of mine I believe. I work at the public library.

Barry