PDA

View Full Version : whiskey before breakfast challenge

Pages : [1] 2

billkilpatrick
Apr-19-2009, 8:51am
i'm working on the song now - should have it down by next weekend - and i think ... ? ... i'll survive a shot of the stuff in the a.m. without hastening forward the customary, après-lunch siesta:

YBGWgQ_1VSM

you're at liberty to name your poison and decide what constitutes a single "shot" (quantity varies from 25 to 50 mL in europe, 1.5 fl oz. - 44.36 mL - in the u.s..) and you can "bottoms up" either before or after your video recording - choice is up to you.

one take only ("one bullet") and you can play the tune at any speed you see fit.

any other takers?

beware: honor system is in force here ... evening imbibers and glass of tea drinkers will be afflicted with the heebie-jeebies, fan-tans, etc. - all manner of nervous ticks and disorders associated with pangs of conscience.

- bill*

Ken Sager
Apr-19-2009, 10:09am
I'd say your "bullet" hit a bit deep. You've mistaken something else for a mandolin. What is that thing? Seriously. What is it?

jim_n_virginia
Apr-19-2009, 11:54am
i'm working on the song now -
- bill*

WOW! I've always heard of them but never actually saw one before.

The Mountain Lap Mandolin! :grin:

Bill Snyder
Apr-19-2009, 12:00pm
Ken, I am pretty sure it is a resophonic guitar.

Mike Bromley
Apr-19-2009, 12:50pm
I don't drink....can I fake the shot?:whistling:

CES
Apr-19-2009, 12:53pm
Hmmm...this could be arranged, but it'll have to be next weekend given my profession...I think the best version I have is on guitar, but a Mandobird with a lot of distortion could make for some fun...I'll keep an eye on this thread...and, dude, so now my DAS is kicking up, too (it flares on occasion, and I usually am able to talk myself down, but a roundneck Regal could be the way to go)...:mandosmiley:

CES
Apr-19-2009, 12:55pm

Per the original post, only if you want cooties, the yips, etc...but you could probably get away with a don't ask don't tell policy...:cool:

squirrelabama
Apr-19-2009, 12:58pm
What'd Bill take a shot of, thorozine?? Just kidding!! Interesting thread here. Despite my signature line, I think I'll hang out on the sidelines and enjoy the show......

Mike Bromley
Apr-19-2009, 1:07pm
You mis-spelled "lobotomy"

:crying:~o):popcorn:

squirrelabama
Apr-19-2009, 1:25pm
Quite possibly due to all those years with "a bottle in front of me!" Probably killed off the brain cells responsible for spell-checking! Thanks Mike.
-geoff

foldedpath
Apr-19-2009, 1:29pm
I read somewhere (probably thesession.org) that if one plays this tune in church, it should be called "Spirits in the Morning."

billkilpatrick
Apr-19-2009, 1:58pm

how about "qat before breakfast" ... do they have qat in ... yikes! - kurdistan!?!

"... won't you come home mike bromley, won't you come home ... "

Mike Bromley
Apr-19-2009, 2:14pm
how about "qat before breakfast" ... do they have qat in ... yikes! - kurdistan!?!

"... won't you come home mike bromley, won't you come home ... "

I AM home....still...Bill Bailey...ack!

Once all the prep work for this latest foray into the land of qat is done, I'll take the challenge.~:>

Barbara Shultz
Apr-19-2009, 2:43pm
you're at liberty to name your poison and decide what constitutes a single "shot" (quantity varies from 25 to 50 mL in europe, 1.5 fl oz. - 44.36 mL - in the u.s..) and you can "bottoms up" either before or after your video recording - choice is up to you.

one take only ("one bullet") and you can play the tune at any speed you see fit.

any other takers?

beware: honor system is in force here ... evening imbibers and glass of tea drinkers will be afflicted with the heebie-jeebies, fan-tans, etc. - all manner of nervous ticks and disorders associated with pangs of conscience.

- bill*

I can't believe I'm the first taker! As per challenge, one take... my poison was sangria wine (hope that qualifies).....

datWx_ARTSo

JeffD
Apr-19-2009, 2:53pm
that'll work

Mike Bunting
Apr-19-2009, 3:00pm
Very nice Barbara, now take another shot and play it again. Repeat as necessary. :grin:

Barbara Shultz
Apr-19-2009, 3:03pm
Very nice Barbara, now take another shot and play it again. Repeat as necessary. :grin:

Well, I'm fighting a cold, missing band practice today... that may just be the medicine I need! ;)

Barb

JeffD
Apr-19-2009, 3:05pm
I just had an idea. Hows about a NyQuil before Whisky Before Breakfast challenge.

Well... never mind.

sgarrity
Apr-19-2009, 3:15pm
I recorded this last fall but there is better than a 70% chance there was a glass of scotch in arms reach! ;)

Oqd9_myxjjw

Barbara Shultz
Apr-19-2009, 3:21pm
I recorded this last fall but there is better than a 70% chance there was a glass of scotch in arms reach! ;)

Very nice!

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-19-2009, 4:56pm
I got the music and it seems pretty straight forward. I'll give it a shot (pun intended) in a few days. BTW, I have this bottle of "Holy Water"... Apparently my dad was bringing it "over the border" from N.I. a few years ago and was stopped by the Gardai. They demanded to know what was in the bottle. "Holy Water", says dad. The Garda opend the top and sniffed it. "Sure that's poteen", says the Garda. "Let me see", says the father and takes a gulp of it. "It's a miracle", declares the father. Well, the Gardai saw the amusing side and let the father off with a warning...

Terminology:
N.I. - Northern Ireland (El Norte)
Poteen - Poitin, Mountain Dew, Juice of the Barley
Holy Water - Water that's been blessed and has the potential of being miraculously transformed into something stronger.
A Miracle - the transformation of Holy Water into Poteen.

Chris Keth
Apr-19-2009, 5:50pm
I got the music and it seems pretty straight forward. I'll give it a shot (pun intended) in a few days. BTW, I have this bottle of "Holy Water"... Apparently my dad was bringing it "over the border" from N.I. a few years ago and was stopped by the Gardai. They demanded to know what was in the bottle. "Holy Water", says dad. The Garda opend the top and sniffed it. "Sure that's poteen", says the Garda. "Let me see", says the father and takes a gulp of it. "It's a miracle", declares the father. Well, the Gardai saw the amusing side and let the father off with a warning...

Terminology:
N.I. - Northern Ireland (El Norte)
Poteen - Poitin, Mountain Dew, Juice of the Barley
Holy Water - Water that's been blessed and has the potential of being miraculously transformed into something stronger.
A Miracle - the transformation of Holy Water into Poteen.

Great story. That poteen's some serious stuff I hear. Kind of a close cousin to our own moonshine.

mandozilla
Apr-19-2009, 5:52pm
You've mistaken something else for a mandolin. What is that thing? Seriously. What is it?

WOW! I've always heard of them but never actually saw one before.

Ken, I am pretty sure it is a resophonic guitar.

Why, everbody knows "that ain't no part of nothin'". :grin:

:mandosmiley:

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-19-2009, 10:27pm
Nice playing Shaun, but you're not really in the "Spirit" of the challenge... Get thee to a Distillery...

Mike Bromley
Apr-19-2009, 11:01pm

Per the original post, only if you want cooties, the yips, etc...but you could probably get away with a don't ask don't tell policy...:cool:

Say! Yer right, CES, I did get the yips! OMG, [hic] pass the syrup! Oh well, I only learned it today.

aa5NnVt-n5E

~:>

billkilpatrick
Apr-20-2009, 2:15am
wouldn't want it said that i drove you to drink, mike. very impressed that it took you so short a time to learn the tune - shows what real musicians can do - complimenti!

however, so far - of all of us - (i'm still learning the tune ... fingers all over the place - stay tuned) for entering into the spirit of the thing; for musicianship AND true grit, barbara gets the prize - mega-complimenti!

billkilpatrick
Apr-20-2009, 2:22am
btw ... that's not me in the first video. he has hair, for one thing and his nom-de-keyboard is "TheMusicEclectic:"

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMusicEclectic

... i thought he was playing dobro.

Mike Bromley
Apr-20-2009, 4:46am
I knew I should have added some sand to the Dasani! My vote goes to Barbara too, 'cuz she took the plunge first and got the ball rolling.....the guy with the hubcap on his geetar, well, he was just for show.

Great Idea, Bill. Maybe we should have more of these.

JeffD
Apr-20-2009, 7:30am
The things I have learned to do sober I can only do sober, and the things I have learned to do while under the influence, I can only do under the influence.

I can't play mandolin while drinking, and I can't play darts sober.

danb
Apr-20-2009, 7:57am
Here's mine. Slight cheating, I did a second take after dropping the pick. And I had whiskey last night before bed, but had coffee before recording this.

1Kl0vAFH43s

Note: DDAD tuning. Lots of fun with this tune

Bertram Henze
Apr-20-2009, 7:58am
I can't play mandolin while drinking, and I can't play darts sober.

Just curious: which of the two targets do you aim at with those darts? :)

Bertram

Bertram Henze
Apr-20-2009, 8:42am
...and I had whiskey last night before bed...

That's before breakfast alright, nothing wrong with that.

Now can you play that again, only one step higher please? :grin:

Bertram

SternART
Apr-20-2009, 9:29am
That DDAD tuning sounds cool on that tune Dan!

Ken_P
Apr-20-2009, 10:33am
Fantastic work, Dan! Love the drone and the extra harmony you add on top. I'll try to do a take for general consumption when I get home tonight. Is there a strict mandolin only policy on this challenge? I'm quite fond of my (well, Norman Blake's, really) guitar version.

Mike Bromley
Apr-20-2009, 11:13am
Lovely three-point.:mandosmiley:

CES
Apr-20-2009, 2:30pm
Lovely three-point.:mandosmiley:

Mike,

No yips noticed here...and if the Coke without the syrup does it for you, keep chuggin', man!!

Nice jobs to all of you...Dan, love the different spin you put on it, and hope your foot continues to do well...Kevin, nice job also...Barbara, you rock...while Sangaria doesn't equal brown, it sure fits the spirit of the thread!!

If I missed complimenting any of you guys, no offense intended...I've enjoyed watching them all so far!!

:mandosmiley: (I think we need a smiley with a tumbler or shot glass...)

Barbara Shultz
Apr-20-2009, 3:47pm
Here's mine. Slight cheating, I did a second take after dropping the pick. And I had whiskey last night before bed, but had coffee before recording this.

Dan, what do you have to do to tune DDAD? Different strings, or just tune them there? I'm inspired by your rendition of this tune... want to try it out (in my own measly way!)

Barb

Barbara Shultz
Apr-20-2009, 4:49pm
So, I was inspired by Dan's cool rendition, using DDAD tuning. I tuned my Mid Missouri down to that tuning, and gave it a try! Plenty of mistakes, but this is fun!

B0zw56InV34

Mike Bromley
Apr-20-2009, 5:01pm
So, I was inspired by Dan's cool rendition, using DDAD tuning. I tuned my Mid Missouri down to that tuning, and gave it a try! Plenty of mistakes, but this is fun!

I can see the snort of vino kick in about the beginning of the second half of the A part....:))

This IS fun!

Barbara Shultz
Apr-20-2009, 5:05pm
I can see the snort of vino kick in about the beginning of the second half of the A part....:))

This IS fun!

HaHa! That, on top of my cold medicine! I promise, I'm sure I can do this better, once I do it a few times! Just don't want to record every one, having to slug down the sangria beforehand!

Barb

Barbara Shultz
Apr-20-2009, 5:18pm

This IS fun!

HaHa! That, on top of my cold medicine! I promise, I'm sure I can do this better, once I do it a few times! Just don't want to record every one, having to slug down the sangria beforehand!

Barb

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-20-2009, 5:23pm
I'm gonna be pretty drunk by the time I get it right... Is it ok to use iced tea while practicing?

GTG
Apr-20-2009, 5:45pm
Hmm, this looks like fun, as WBB is one of my favorite tunes. Might be hard to fit the whiskey in before work, though, so I'll probably have to try on a weekend....

To those who have submitted - nice picking!

Charles E.
Apr-20-2009, 6:36pm
:mandosmiley: (I think we need a smiley with a tumbler or shot glass...)[/QUOTE]

Now that we have Mandolin Cafe hats, we need Mandolin Cafe shot glasses!
Danb, great playing. I have tuned my Gibson tenor guitar to that tuning for finger style but never my mando.

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-20-2009, 6:54pm
So the D base strings - up to D or down to D (from G), or is it a different gauge?

Barbara Shultz
Apr-20-2009, 7:05pm
So the D base strings - up to D or down to D (from G), or is it a different gauge?

I'm not sure how Dan does it, hopefully he'll tell us soon. I just tuned the G strings DOWN to a D one octave lower than the next set of D's... they were kinda floppy, but are just used for a drone effect, I believe. The top strings I tuned down one step from E's to D's.

Barb

Mike Bromley
Apr-20-2009, 7:44pm
It sounds like the D an octave below pair 3. No bout a doubt it.

Plectrosaurus
Apr-20-2009, 7:49pm

1Kl0vAFH43s

Dan, I have 'Shatter the Calm' and 'Torch and Fire'. Love 'em both. Keep sending the great old tunes across the big pond. Here's another mug of 'joe' for ya'.~o)

journeybear
Apr-20-2009, 10:17pm
Um Barb, it seems to have escaped your notice, but in the original example, the fella took his shot AFTER playing. :disbelief: Your approach might be affecting your renditon. :grin: Nevertheless, I applaud your spirit, er, spirits, um, spirited rendition ... yeah, that's it! :mandosmiley:

And Ed, that story about your father - brilliant! :)) Cheers to his presence of mind in a tense situation!

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-21-2009, 1:23am
Time to fish or cut bait Bill...

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-21-2009, 1:38am
OK, enough of the practice - I'm just getting smashed and not improving much - here is a once-through, warts and all... Vega Cylinder-Back 10-string thingie... for inspiration I watched Orrin Starr on Youtube playing it. He capo'd on 2 in C... if it's good enough for Orrin it's certainly good enough for me... Excuse the serious face - it's the only one I have, never been accused of being two-faced - but this tune is really close to a few others in my repertoire in several places and it took a lot of concentration... the upside is I can only get better at it... Slainte 's Saol, 's go mbeirimis beo ar an am seo aris...

Tuning is CCGGDDAAEE capo'd on 2 for DDAAEEBBF#F#

I did a retake of this but my neighbour drove his Harley past during the chorus..errr B part....

xWk8bHwHNWQ

Bertram Henze
Apr-21-2009, 2:17am
Could see the whiskey kicking in after 50 sec. :)

This challenge reminds me a bit of the legendary North Sea pirate Klaus Störtebeker: when he was captured with his crew, and they were all sentenced to death, he offered a deal - his men would stand in a line, he would be decapitated first and run along the line, and as many of his men he passed by would be spared. He indeed started running (headless like a chicken) and would have saved all of his crew, had not someone thrown a wooden log at his legs and made him stumble.

You saved them all, Eddie. And with that strange machine, too!

uisge beatha go bragh...

Bertram

danb
Apr-21-2009, 2:48am
I'm not sure how Dan does it, hopefully he'll tell us soon. I just tuned the G strings DOWN to a D one octave lower than the next set of D's... they were kinda floppy, but are just used for a drone effect, I believe. The top strings I tuned down one step from E's to D's.

Barb

That's it. Drop the G all the way down to a D, and the top e 1 step down to a D. The low Gs will be pretty floppy, I tune them about a 1/4 pitch flat and they come up with a couple whacks.

Try these too:
- midnight on the water
- bonaparte's retreat
- Irish pipe/flute tunes based on that same scale & a half in D

A variant that I like to do on bouzoukis or tenors is to capo on the 5th fret, but not the bottom string.. You get (G)GDG on a GDAD bouzouki.. or in my case (G)GDAD on my 10-stringer

Barbara Shultz
Apr-21-2009, 7:20am
Eddie, that was great.... and you get extra points for wearing your JazzMando shirt.... just caught a glimpse of it as you turned off the camera! I'm sure it's OK to retake.... hard to outplay a Harley!

Barb

JeffD
Apr-21-2009, 7:40am
Just curious: which of the two targets do you aim at with those darts? :)

Bertram

Exactly.

My friends even tell me there are poems I can resite while sozzled that I don't even know that I know when I am sober. Then again, these friends, at those moments, are not the most reliable of witnesses.

JimRichter
Apr-21-2009, 9:22am
One of two:

Allmans Before Breakfast: If Dickey Betts took the challenge

o1taDH_tOJY

Mattg
Apr-21-2009, 9:26am
Wow Jim. That was cool!!! Rock tunes on the mando and fiddle tunes on the tele. :cool:

chip
Apr-21-2009, 9:26am
Jim...you crack me up...!
Good job...:))

JimRichter
Apr-21-2009, 9:30am
Two of two

Whiskey on octave mandolin

RexHzVg-2oA

JimRichter
Apr-21-2009, 9:37am
Jim...you crack me up...!
Good job...:))

The 2nd half of Whiskey reminds me some of the Allman's Revival. So combine that with a little bit of Jessica and Elizabeth Reed and you get Whiskey Before Breakfast.

Barbara Shultz
Apr-21-2009, 9:58am
Two of two

Whiskey on octave mandolin

Jim, those were great! I was tempted to record mine headless, like you did.... I look MUCH better that way! ;)

Barb

TDMpicker
Apr-21-2009, 1:30pm
I don't know why I feel like I want to try this but I guess I have nothing to loose.
Here is my version as a fairly new mandolin player. I've been learning to play this
instrument for about a year now.

I get inspired learning from others... maybe somebody who is just starting to play can
see that it can be done. Even if you are 50+ and never played an instrument before ;-)

PFmcuU6a4Zo

Terry

billkilpatrick
Apr-21-2009, 1:56pm
terry - that's great, really well done.

however ...

i note, of late (with the exemplary exclusion of barbara and sig. eddie) the non-compliance of an essential aspect of the challenge which seems to have been - you know - shucked.

bottoms up, guys ... top of the morning to you ... what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

Barbara Shultz
Apr-21-2009, 1:56pm
I don't know why I feel like I want to try this but I guess I have nothing to loose.
Here is my version as a fairly new mandolin player. I've been learning to play this
instrument for about a year now.

I get inspired learning from others... maybe somebody who is just starting to play can
see that it can be done. Even if you are 50+ and never played an instrument before ;-)

Terry

Hey, that was GREAT! For someone who's just been playing for a year, your left and right hand technique is AWESOME! And, your timing and tempo! Keep up the good work!

I'm there with you on the 'never too old to learn'.... I took up the mandolin at 51, my first stringed instrument to learn! There was a thread on here a while back, about age, and when you started playing, and there's quite a few of us 'oldies' that are new to mandolin playing here at the cafe!

Barb

Barbara Shultz
Apr-21-2009, 1:58pm
terry - that's great, really well done.

however ...

i note, of late (with the exemplary exclusion of barbara and sig. eddie) the non-compliance of an essential aspect of the challenge which seems to have been - you know - shucked.

bottoms up, guys ... top of the morning to you ... what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

Bill.... maybe the video stopped a little too quick, or started too late... that DOES look like a bottle of whiskey in the foreground ;)

BArb

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-21-2009, 2:03pm
C'mon in Bill, the water's fine...

GTG
Apr-21-2009, 5:06pm
Wait a minute - Jim, I call foul! There was no evidence of any whiskey being drunk before, after, or during either performance.

sgarrity
Apr-21-2009, 5:10pm
Since I was called out for not playing by the rules with my last post :grin: I decided another version was in order. I posted the first take which is a little silly and sloppy, but that's the idea right?? :mandosmiley:
All I had in the house was JW Blue Label and Blue Moon wheat beer. I didn't think this excercise warranted a glass of Blue Label, so beer it is!!

4uVNLUeL8WU

JimRichter
Apr-21-2009, 5:38pm
Wait a minute - Jim, I call foul! There was no evidence of any whiskey being drunk before, after, or during either performance.

My dad worked for Joseph E Seagram at the Lawrenceburg Indiana distillery for 45 years, so I've got whiskey in my blood!

And besides, I still had a little in my blood from last night :)

Jim

JimRichter
Apr-21-2009, 5:40pm
Since I was called out for not playing by the rules with my last post :grin: I decided another version was in order. I posted the first take which is a little silly and sloppy, but that's the idea right?? :mandosmiley:
All I had in the house was JW Blue Label and Blue Moon wheat beer. I didn't think this excercise warranted a glass of Blue Label, so beer it is!!

4uVNLUeL8WU

Shaun--sounds great. I forgot you had a Kimble! You need to join the Kimble group I started.

Also, I spot the Crown Royal bag in the background, so I think you pass.

Barbara Shultz
Apr-21-2009, 5:44pm
Surely I'm not the only one who's noticed that all you guys look like you've filmed yours in a 'better homes & gardens' house, and I look like I live in a bachelor pad, with a messy pool table in the background! :))

Barb

sgarrity
Apr-21-2009, 6:09pm
If my mother saw the background in my video she'd scream!! LOL My office is actually pretty clean. You should see the spare bedroom! :))

Jim.....thanks for the kind words. Yup, I've been a happy Kimble owner for a couple months now. I really like his mandolins, especially his oval holes. And I'm one step ahead of ya....I already joined the Kimble group and posted some other videos. And you spotted the CR bag, which is ful of string winders and extra strings. Handy little bags, aren't they?? LOL

As for your videos.....freakin' COOL! :mandosmiley:

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-21-2009, 6:15pm
I did mine on the back patio... mandolin music ain't welcome in the house....

Mike Bromley
Apr-21-2009, 7:32pm
Surely I'm not the only one who's noticed that all you guys look like you've filmed yours in a 'better homes & gardens' house, and I look like I live in a bachelor pad, with a messy pool table in the background! :))

Barb

Hah! You ain't SEEN clutter!

billkilpatrick
Apr-22-2009, 3:02am
mornin' all ...

pvs6gawuJWw

Bertram Henze
Apr-22-2009, 5:10am
Jim, those were great! I was tempted to record mine headless, like you did.... I look MUCH better that way! ;)

Barb

Your intermittent smiles add so much human authenticity - our music needs that. Don't take it away... :( ;)

Bertram

Barbara Shultz
Apr-22-2009, 7:30am
mornin' all ...

pvs6gawuJWw

Awesome!

Barb

TDMpicker
Apr-22-2009, 7:32am
Nice Bill, I like the sound of your instrument.
Do you have and tooth decay?

Terry

journeybear
Apr-22-2009, 11:51am
All right, here goes. A different approach. Vanilla Fudge style. :mandosmiley: Got about two hours of sleep last night,so I was kind of feeling it.

9TGrMmvS_fw

Sorry it's so dark, but that's literally the best I could do for lighting with my setup. Besides, it's better that way, trust me. ;)

billkilpatrick
Apr-22-2009, 11:53am
words speak louder than words ...

qLbeETQTeM0

billkilpatrick
Apr-22-2009, 12:53pm
jb - you just cleared the room of dogs - they were up and otta'here with the first note ... amazing!

journeybear
Apr-22-2009, 1:07pm
jb - you just cleared the room of dogs - they were up and otta'here with the first note ... amazing!

Here to help! :grin: I'm a cat person, so I've got no problem with that ... :whistling:

Bertram Henze
Apr-22-2009, 2:03pm
Cannot really compete with all these superheroes here, but I'm game: Here is my old sloppy OM version of it, complete with a dram of Highland Park and a little water. Well before breakfast, too - 9 hours to go.

xGqOuIciFNY

Bertram

billkilpatrick
Apr-22-2009, 4:05pm
time is ... relative - a lovely, toe-tapping rendition, bertram - complimenti!

Chris Hasty
Apr-22-2009, 5:15pm
Ok, I know I'm a new guy but I thought I'd join in.

Go easy on me, I've only been playing Mandolin for 3 months and I just learned this song this morning. The disjointed rhythm section at the end is one of the dogs sharing her displeasure because I haven't fed them yet.

TL4OiyYA-yI

Chris Keth
Apr-22-2009, 5:20pm

Go easy on me, I've only been playing Mandolin for 3 months and I just learned this song this morning. The disjointed rhythm section at the end is one of the dogs sharing her displeasure because I haven't fed them yet.

Sounds good; your picking is nice and clean.

Joe Parker
Apr-22-2009, 5:23pm
I just discovered that I can get 3 clips playing at the same time!! Now THAT is the way this song should be played. Enjoyed them all,thanks! I'm going back to try for 4!

JPP

billkilpatrick
Apr-22-2009, 5:56pm

TL4OiyYA-yI

whoa! ... well done - do you think we should get tattoos done?

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-22-2009, 6:32pm
Bertram, I'm looking for a first-mate to go pirating in the North Sea. Are ye up for it?

Mike Bromley
Apr-22-2009, 7:42pm
OK, now I forgot to wear my MC ball cap! Dang! To excited about trying out a blue chip on the old Gibson. Meh.

Apologies to WSM. Your tuning, my dubious usage.

9ytwt7wo1b0

Time to go jamming.....

journeybear
Apr-22-2009, 7:46pm
... I've only been playing Mandolin for 3 months and I just learned this song this morning. The disjointed rhythm section at the end is one of the dogs sharing her displeasure because I haven't fed them yet.

Well, at least you're starting out right, capitalizing "mandolin." Shows proper respect. ;)

Your dog has good rhythmic sense. Perhaps an upgrade to cowbell is in order? :whistling:

Welcome to the Café! :mandosmiley:

Dave Gumbart
Apr-22-2009, 7:57pm
Criminy - not only do I not have video, but in the 15 minutes or so since I checked the thread and recorded my modest little version, Mike has given us a nice little gem (among all the others). Well done! Maybe I need to have longer chat with Old Mr. Overholt (which makes sense if you check out the attached mp3......).

Cheers.

Dave

Mike Bromley
Apr-22-2009, 8:00pm

Nice job, Hasty! No going easy on ya, though!

Welcome to the Mandosylum!

:mandosmiley:~:>

Schlegel
Apr-22-2009, 8:44pm
Ok, Here's my attempt, I've been playing a bit over a year, and I learned the second half tonight just for this and recorded it on a cell phone, so it ain't the greatest :redface:
No whiskey around so I had to use something a bit purer...

7GdsaEeeDLs

Dale Ludewig
Apr-22-2009, 9:35pm
What great fun! I have much to learn about how to post this stuff. But I shall! Our current main band starts out slowly with the lyrics (I never knew until recently that there were any), then we rip into it at a pretty fast pace as an instrumental. Band mates are out of town right now, but I'll post as soon as I can. I guess I need a webcam, eh?

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-22-2009, 11:04pm
I don't know Dale... If there's a b@nj0 player you migh not want him drinkin moonshine before the tune...:whistling:

I guess once Susan Boyle and an orchestra do it we can move on to the next tune...

Barbara Shultz
Apr-22-2009, 11:06pm
This has to be one of the more enjoyable, and well-read threads in a while! Bill started this 3 1/2 days ago, and it's had 3,500 views!

Keep 'em coming! I'm loving each and every video (and mp3!)

Barb

Joe Dodson
Apr-22-2009, 11:32pm
Allmans Before Breakfast: If Dickey Betts took the challenge

Jim - when I grow up, I want to be you. Those were both great. I especially enjoyed the Octave though.

Lots of good picking on here. They don't encourage drinking before work in my law firm, but I might just try to knock one out Saturday.

Incidentally, they say that Freight Train is the national anthem for fingerpickers. Based on this thread, I nominate Whiskey for that distinction for the mandolin.

Ken Olmstead
Apr-23-2009, 12:39am
I will do mine soon. Gonna be pretty ho hum compared to what's happening in this thread! Of course it is an excuse to get some Young's Double Chocolate Stout! (Not that I have ever needed an excuse! :) )

I think Barb captures the spirit of the thread best (she is also the cutest :) ) but Bill, the toothbrush is classic!! Jim knocks the top off the "Cool-O- Meter" and JourneyBear wins least tastefully dressed! Nice Job all!!

journeybear
Apr-23-2009, 12:53am
And those are my good shorts! :disbelief: My first run at this was so dark you couldn't see anything. Maybe I'll post that. ;)

Hmmm ... Note to self: In future, don't do video shoots on laundry day ... :grin: ... :crying: ... :whistling:

Bertram Henze
Apr-23-2009, 1:18am
The disjointed rhythm section at the end is one of the dogs sharing her displeasure because I haven't fed them yet.

Those sleigh bells sound a bit like "Whiskey before Christmas" :grin:

But good timing and clean picking. With all these weird versions here, every now and then we need someone to demonstrate the real original tune. :)

Bertram

Bertram Henze
Apr-23-2009, 1:24am
Bertram, I'm looking for a first-mate to go pirating in the North Sea. Are ye up for it?

:)) I would be Michel Goedeke, then...

However, I was not so brave to drink before playing, though the rules should enforce this for a conclusive proof that only one take was made (or else each take would get worse than the previous one).

Bertram

Bertram Henze
Apr-23-2009, 1:29am
This has to be one of the more enjoyable, and well-read threads in a while!

Oh yes, and there seems to emerge the distinctive mood of a jam/session (a global one, even). There should be a technical way of playing this tune synchronously together...

Bertram

billkilpatrick
Apr-23-2009, 2:35am
... a jam/session (a global one, even). There should be a technical way of playing this tune synchronously together...

Bertram

whoaaa! - great idea! ... like "band-aid!" ... it's big, bertram. maybe we could get a distillery to support us - "malt-aid" instead of lemonade.

journeybear
Apr-23-2009, 3:05am
There should be a technical way of playing this tune synchronously together...

I think this can be done via http://www.indabamusic.com - the site that sponsored the Yo Yo Ma contest a couple of months ago. Someone more savvy than I should figure out how to do it. The real problem we will face is that everyone has done it differently - I don't mean just tempo, I mean note selection. I don't even know how it goes any more. Put even a few versions together you will get mush.

That doesn't mean it's not a nice idea ... :)

Bertram Henze
Apr-23-2009, 4:16am
maybe we could get a distillery to support us - "malt-aid" instead of lemonade.

:):) I once played in a session on the Isle of Skye that was sponsored by Talisker...

The snag is that to serve the sponsor's interest, we would all have to drink their stuff and, because this is an American tune, it would have to be a Bourbon distillery :crying:

Bertram

Bertram Henze
Apr-23-2009, 4:48am
OK, now I forgot to wear my MC ball cap! Dang! To excited about trying out a blue chip on the old Gibson. Meh.

Apologies to WSM. Your tuning, my dubious usage.

Now that's a jump start - Wooohoo! :mandosmiley: Creates such an optmistic feeling about the day. Makes me want to sing "Oh what a beautiful morning..." no, don't run away, just kidding.

Bertram

billkilpatrick
Apr-23-2009, 5:15am
:):) I once played in a session on the Isle of Skye that was sponsored by Talisker...

The snag is that to serve the sponsor's interest, we would all have to drink their stuff and, because this is an American tune, it would have to be a Bourbon distillery :crying:

Bertram

bourbon's ok with me but have no fears! - the song is irish:

http://www.triskelle.eu/lyrics/whiskeybeforebreakfast.php?index=080.010.080.040

as for there being "weird" versions of this song, i'd have to say ... it's folk music - an "original version" may not exist. if one did, i imagine it would be no more complicated than a "nyah-nyah-na-nyah-nyah" type chant from a couple of old boys, drunk in the morning.

Bertram Henze
Apr-23-2009, 6:21am
as for there being "weird" versions of this song, i'd have to say ... it's folk music - an "original version" may not exist. if one did, i imagine it would be no more complicated than a "nyah-nyah-na-nyah-nyah" type chant from a couple of old boys, drunk in the morning.

... or from a sober child with a recorder. I probably should have said "simple" instead of "original"; the simple versions are mostly those published in notation and tabs as a source for learning the tune, and therefore stand rather at the beginning of developing a personal version.
The written source used to stick longer with me in my early years, now I am making modifikations much earlier; I made one quantum leap last week - for the first time, I learned a reel without even trying to play the notes. Just looked at them and figured what to play instead; that's where the real fun begins - or should I say the weirdness?

Bertram

billkilpatrick
Apr-23-2009, 6:31am
... I made one quantum leap last week - for the first time, I learned a reel without even trying to play the notes. Just looked at them and figured what to play instead; that's where the real fun begins - or should I say the weirdness?

Bertram

that's great, bertram ... i wanna' be there! they say familiarity breeds contempt but developing an instinct for the music must be a joy.

Bertram Henze
Apr-23-2009, 7:27am
...they say familiarity breeds contempt but...

It is indeed good that this does not seem to apply for me. I go with another (Irish) saying: To know beauty one must live with it. :)

Bertram

Mike Bromley
Apr-23-2009, 7:58am
Put even a few versions together you will get mush.

Actually, that wouldn't be borne out in reality. The average of all (mush) actually will sound quite cogent.

journeybear
Apr-23-2009, 8:00am
And now, for those who would rather just listen ... the dark version :mandosmiley:

iqN5SWjSxp4

Mike Bromley
Apr-23-2009, 8:02am
and now

As opposed to "so last month"?

~:>:popcorn:

journeybear
Apr-23-2009, 8:09am
Actually, that wouldn't be borne out in reality. The average of all (mush) actually will sound quite cogent.

I respectfully disagree. If you were to simultaneously play everyone's version, adjusted for tempo and tuning, you would get discordant notes at every turn. With just two versions, you might get some interesting counterpoint, but after layer upon layer of unsychronous note playing, you will quickly achieve disharmonious cacaphony :( ie, mush.

billkilpatrick
Apr-23-2009, 8:32am
... but after layer upon layer of unsychronous note playing, you will quickly achieve disharmonious cacaphony :( ie, mush.

you mean, as if we were all drunk ... hands extended round the world in boozey mando-fellowship, caterwauling and twanging away; innards in total shock; significant others addled and agonized ... sort of an anti-"i'd like to teach the world to sing" coke ad.

i tell you guys ... this is big.

journeybear
Apr-23-2009, 8:36am
you mean, as if we were all drunk ... hands extended round the world in boozey mando-fellowship, caterwauling and twanging away; innards in total shock; significant others addled and agonized ... sort of an anti-"i'd like to teach the world to sing" coke ad.

i tell you guys ... this is big.

Brilliant, Bill! :)) I'm beginning to understand the inspiration for this project. And just how much tippling have you done so far today, hmmm? :grin: Having whiskey for breakfast? ;) :whistling:

Which reminds me - thanks for the lyrics. I had no idea there were four verses, telling an actual story. For years I thought it was "Whiskey For Breakfast," now I see it's "Whiskey 'Fore Breakfast."

In aqua vitae, veritas! :mandosmiley:

mandopete
Apr-23-2009, 8:43am
Great videos by all - you folks make me want a shot of Knob Creek!

I think I'm going to write a new tune for techies in the 21st century....Whiskey Before Conference Calls!

My vote - Jim Richter wins!

:)

Bertram Henze
Apr-23-2009, 8:44am
... hands extended round the world in boozey mando-fellowship, caterwauling and twanging away; innards in total shock; significant others addled and agonized ... sort of an anti-"i'd like to teach the world to sing" coke ad.

:)):)):)):)):))

Man, you should be writing a diet book on how to lose weight by laughing one's ### off, e.g. "I'd Like to Teach the World to Drink"...

Bertram

billkilpatrick
Apr-23-2009, 8:48am
Criminy - not only do I not have video, but in the 15 minutes or so since I checked the thread and recorded my modest little version, Mike has given us a nice little gem (among all the others). Well done! Maybe I need to have longer chat with Old Mr. Overholt (which makes sense if you check out the attached mp3......).

Cheers.

Dave

wow! - few clams; lots of style - which mandolin are you playing?

journeybear
Apr-23-2009, 8:54am
Welcome to the Mandosylum!

... home of mandolinsanity!!! :)) ... :crying: ... :)) ... :crying: ... :mandosmiley:

Mike Bromley
Apr-23-2009, 8:57am
you will quickly achieve disharmonious cacaphony

I like that. Kinda like the Cape Breton Symphony. Actually, I besmirch them somewhat. They are a massed-fiddle orchestra who regularly play jigs and reels en masse, and not completely in unison....

So, after Killbill Patrick's little challenge.......:))

:popcorn:

MAN this is fun.

journeybear
Apr-23-2009, 9:07am
No kidding, if someone really wanted to do this, I believe this capability is offered by http://www.indabamusic.com (surely others, too), but someone who is more adept at such things should look into it. I missed out on entering the Yo Yo Ma challenge because, after practicing the piece, feeling ready to give it a go, I went to the site and couldn't figure out how to use the software. :(

It's pretty straightforward - someone records on one track, the next person records on another track while listening to what's already on the other track, and so on - just like in a studio but online. I just couldn't get it to work before the deadline. Timing isn't everything, but it's something, all right ... :whistling:

journeybear
Apr-23-2009, 9:17am
Then there's The Portsmouth Sinfonia ... :grin:

hpJ6anurfuw

... who are fun to listen to, in small doses. They have quite forgotten that "sinfonia" is from the Greek words for "sound" and "together." Playing together isn't the same thing as playing all at the same time. ;) I believe including a mandolinist in their ranks could have helped them enormously, if only by forcing them to play at a volume that would allow the mandolin to be heard ... :grin:

Bertram Henze
Apr-23-2009, 9:28am
Then there's The Portsmouth Symphonia ... :grin:

Wow, a direct yet smooth slide from Richard Strauss to Györgi Ligeti, goose bumps included.

Well, if they can do it, why shouldn't we be able to cover several genres in one take? :))

Bertram

Ken Olmstead
Apr-23-2009, 9:52am
Perhaps we should discuss the life changing aspects of drink!

Meet Del Casher. Clean cut american boy playing the tar out of the tenor banjo on the Laurence Welk Show:

5FWe5hQnnwk

Then he invents the "wah-wah" pedal, look at him now at 7am drinking his "vitamins!"

C1RoSdnG7iQ

I wonder what drove him to such a state? Was it the wah-wah, the banjo or Laurence? Take about a triple threat!!

:)):)):))

billkilpatrick
Apr-23-2009, 10:13am
this is a fine example of what scholarship is all about - dedicated research and commitment! ... exemplary!

... "relaxed" ... great!

Mike Bromley
Apr-23-2009, 12:38pm
this is a fine example of what scholarship is all about - dedicated research and commitment! ... exemplary!

... "relaxed" ... great!

Commitment, for sure....here at the 'sylum.

Dave Gumbart
Apr-23-2009, 12:56pm
Bill - thanks for the kind words. I am fortunate to own an F5 made by Andrew Mowry. I actually liked my first take at it better, until the whiskey must have kicked in only moments before the end. That was a crash and burn, for sure. So another wee dram it was for take 2. On the plus side, I've gotten to a point where even if I flub a portion of a tune, I know enough to just keep going.

Chris Hasty
Apr-23-2009, 5:11pm
Wow, go away for a day and see how busy a post gets.

Thanks for all the kind comments. I've enjoyed playing so far. Love all these videos. Don't know anyone around me that plays, so I just find stuff here and on youtube to listen to and learn from. Can't wait to learn more.

journeybear
Apr-23-2009, 6:20pm
And now, by popular demand, an unplugged version, direct from my backyard. Totally acoustic - that "effect" from 1:17 - 1:26 is a plane going over. Speaking of effects, note the effect the wee dram has upon yours truly. A bit of reckless driving ...:mandosmiley: ... :grin: ... :whistling:

ezlGS0Gb2ZU

Mike Bromley
Apr-23-2009, 6:26pm
And now, by popular demand, an unplugged version. Totally acoustic - that "effect" is a plane going over. Speaking of effects, note the effect the wee dram has upon yours truly. A bit of reckless driving ...:mandosmiley: ... :grin: ... :whistling:

Holy cow, that was fast, I got to it before youtube finished processing it.....er, where is it?

.....aha....found it! You found the gas pedal......lol

Bertram Henze
Apr-24-2009, 2:13am
that "effect" from 1:17 - 1:26 is a plane going over.

:disbelief: adds an uncanny WWII feeling. But bravely you play on and on instead of running for shelter. :mandosmiley:

Could someone start a thread on "Playing your mando in dangerous places"? Playing in presence of wife/husband would not count. :grin:

Bertram

journeybear
Apr-24-2009, 2:33am
adds an uncanny WWII feeling. But bravely you play on and on instead of running for shelter.

Why, thank you! But actually, during the day these fly-bys are quite common and nearly unavoidable, this being a small but busy island. I once tried to find a quiet place to record a song for a songwriting contest and settled on the cemetery - seemed logical - but between the planes and the roosters ~:> I was hard pressed to find five minutes of silence. Ended up driving to my friends' place a dozen miles up the road. Which was fine, except for when a couple of F-14's from the nearby air base flew by on a patrol or training mission! :disbelief:

Anyway, I was trying to do this in one take as per the rules, so I went with it. :mandosmiley: And it was a prop plane - good ear!

Could someone start a thread on "Playing your mando in dangerous places"? Playing in presence of wife/husband would not count.

And why not? Or is that due to being in a state of constant danger? :)

I dunno, I foresee disastrous possibilities. I think this might be a bad idea, and you know what they say about them ... :whistling:

billkilpatrick
Apr-24-2009, 2:39am
jb - that was really good - your gibson(?) sounds fabulous.

off to paris for a wedding ... hope to see heaps of videos of saturday-morning shot-putters when i get back.

saluti tutti - bill

Bertram Henze
Apr-24-2009, 3:56am
I dunno, I foresee disastrous possibilities. I think this might be a bad idea, and you know what they say about them ... :whistling:

I see, you've read my signature :). What I had in mind was something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppeK7_ze8rs :grin::grin::grin:

Citation from "Whiskey in the Jar (before Breakfast)":
...and the words that I told you were only in jest.

Bertram

Mike Bromley
Apr-24-2009, 8:01am
Could someone start a thread on "Playing your mando in dangerous places"? Playing in presence of wife/husband would not count. :grin:

Bertram

I'll be sending the first post from a razorwire enclosure in the Zagros Mountains in the near future, does that count?
:whistling:~o)~:>:mandosmiley:

Bertram Henze
Apr-24-2009, 8:11am
I'll be sending the first post from a razorwire enclosure in the Zagros Mountains in the near future, does that count?

:)) sure, any place in West Asia will do. You might be the first to start that new thread. But don't tell anybody whose idea that was. :whistling:

Bertram

Mike Bromley
Apr-24-2009, 9:19am

A Gibson Explorer.....of course, the HSSE (Health-Safety-Security-Environment) factor is amplified: Noisy environment, Heavy Falling Objects, Pointy-spikey-jab-prone guitar shape, uncertain aerodynamic behavior....high-velocity whiskey aerosols (not shown for security reasons)

....OK, Bertram, yer getting majorly risqué...

journeybear
Apr-24-2009, 10:07am
I see, you've read my signature ...

Yes, indeed. And a good one it is ...

Oh, I know they were, and I was jesting back. Just a jot of jest jousting, that was the gist of it. :) :grin: :))

I hope no one takes you up on your idea, though. This challenge was dangerous enough, risking annoying my crazy neighbor, not to leave out the potential damage caused by imbibement. ;) As this thread has shown, we're an adventurous lot! :mandosmiley:

Elliot Luber
Apr-24-2009, 10:28am
I don't know about you, but this is one of the more enjoyable threads we've had in a long while. Great idea.

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-24-2009, 11:39am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppeK7_ze8rs :grin::grin::grin:

Bertram

That's from "The Wild Rover"...

My fav citation is:
"Whiskey you're the divil, you're leadin' me astray,
Over hills and mountains, and to Americay..."

Bertram Henze
Apr-24-2009, 1:13pm
That's from "The Wild Rover"...

Dang, I got them mixed up. It's all that Luke Kelly stuff I absorbed when I discovered the Dubliners 25 years ago. The first tune I ever learned to play was "Sheahan's M1 Jig", figure that...

Bertram

Bertram Henze
Apr-24-2009, 1:29pm
This challenge was dangerous enough, risking annoying my crazy neighbor...

From this I guess your neighbor is not playing mandolin and therefore probably not eavesdropping on the Cafe. I've never been to Florida - most I know about it is from Dave Barry's book "Big Trouble", but I didn't think it was really that serious :disbelief: :grin:

My biggest adventure in this was, as always, playing in front of the cold oblivious evil singular eye of my webcam instead of nice people.

Bertram

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-24-2009, 3:05pm
Dave Barry has a lot to say about the Internet and WWW as well... quite hilarious...

journeybear
Apr-24-2009, 3:05pm
From this I guess your neighbor is not playing mandolin and therefore probably not eavesdropping on the Cafe. I've never been to Florida - most I know about it is from Dave Barry's book "Big Trouble", but I didn't think it was really that serious ...

I don't know how serious it is, but a lot of people here are nuts! One of the problems about south Florida that Dave Barry and also Carl Hiaasen touch on in their books is that a lot of the nuts that drift southward tend to accumulate here and propogate. This gets intensified here in Key West, the world's largest open-air insane asylum, because people come here for any number of (often good) reasons, run out of money, and are then stuck here, going progressively nuttier. This place was nutty enough to begin with, it gets more and more so with the importation and accumulation and lack of exportation of nuts. This helps explain my presence here :grin: - this is not only the only place I've been able to support myself through music (how nutty is that?), I'm so nutty I fit in around here. In fact, I'm almost "normal" compared to a lot of people hereabouts ... that's how nutty it is here! :whistling:

My neighbor is a control freak with boundary issues, and I just didn't want her to come screaming into the backyard while I was recording. "Playing in dangerous places" indeed! I just wanted to avoid a possibly uncomfortable situation. She could use a major dose of mandolin consciousness raising. I was here over a year and a half before she stopped calling it a guitar! :disbelief:

TMI, I know. Need sleep ... :sleepy: ... can't get enough ... must have coffee ... ~o) ...

GTG
Apr-24-2009, 3:13pm
jb - love the 'dark version' tone. It is oddly reminiscent of Jimi raging through the US anthem at the Woodstock festival...

I agree with others - this thread is great fun!

journeybear
Apr-24-2009, 3:23pm
jb - love the 'dark version' tone. It is oddly reminiscent of Jimi raging through the US anthem at the Woodstock festival...

I agree with others - this thread is great fun!

Thanks! :mandosmiley: That was what I was going for, and where my electric tone generally resides; the Vanilla Fudge reference was more a nod to their method of ssslllooowwwiiinnnggg everything down. I actually got the idea from the dobro in the OP, the way slowest version of this song I'd ever heard. At that point ... ;)

Now that I think about it, the song structure really lends itself to that approach, with a B part pitched considerably higher than the A part, same as the SSB. Same sort of built-in dramatic effect. Hmmm ...

Mike Bromley
Apr-24-2009, 3:41pm
I'm astounded by the socio-demographic undercurrent awakened by this challenge...how the town at the end of Henry Flagler's Railroad to Nowhere has become an asylum for the odd...

...meanwhile, the haiku-writing OP lurks in France, about to be surprised by the zany proliferation of Vanilla Fudge and Woodstock, Irish Rovers, and references to WWII. Whiskey? Breakfast?

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-24-2009, 3:50pm
I have come to the conclusion that for most of us Whiskey is more than just a Breakfast drink anymore...

journeybear
Apr-24-2009, 9:44pm
I'm astounded by the socio-demographic undercurrent awakened by this challenge ...

It's very true - we are quite a diverse group. Sometimes it seems the only thing we have in common is the mandolin (oh, big revelation there!) - and even that isn't quite true, with all the devotees of mandolas, mandocellos, OMs, tenors, and zouks here. But yes, we are quite a far-flung community, and I am pleased sometimes to see where some of these posts come from. Not to forget a certain someone who soon will be posting from Kurdistan, with a challenge to play some song in 7/4 while drinking fermented yak's milk! I yi yi!

Mike Bromley
Apr-24-2009, 9:58pm
Not to forget a certain someone who soon will be posting from Kurdistan, with a challenge to play some song in 7/4 while drinking fermented yak's milk! I yi yi!

Yaks come from Tibet, I believe.

We do everything in metric, so it'll be in 1.75 time.

As for fermented things of any kind, as BillKill mentioned, a slug of qat might be obtainable.....

I just wanna play in a group of AK-47 totin' Peshmergan...that otta make fer an interesting Youtube ("I'm a Peshmerga, and I'm OK!!!").

An excuse to venture into quarter-tones and heavy on the mixolydian!

:cool::disbelief::grin:

eadg145
Apr-24-2009, 11:16pm
I respectfully disagree. If you were to simultaneously play everyone's version, adjusted for tempo and tuning, you would get discordant notes at every turn. With just two versions, you might get some interesting counterpoint, but after layer upon layer of unsychronous note playing, you will quickly achieve disharmonious cacaphony

Or maybe you'd have free-form jazz? :cool:

cheers,

David
(seriously considering this challenge...)

Schlegel
Apr-24-2009, 11:29pm
I think an over lay would have cacophonous bits, but I believe there's a good chance the basic tune would emerge ringing like a bell curve.

eadg145
Apr-24-2009, 11:38pm
Ooh, that's such a beautiful thought!

cheers,

David

Ken Olmstead
Apr-25-2009, 12:52am
Here's mine.

Ud_yJlHx0RI

journeybear
Apr-25-2009, 1:07am
Here's mine.

Well done! Nice sounding instrument, too. Are you sure you really need that Brentrup? ;) And your dog seems very tolerant, even enjoying the concert. There were a couple of times it looked like he was trying to steal the scene from you, looking right into the camera.

Good stuff. Thanks!

Mike Bromley
Apr-25-2009, 1:25am
Here's mine.

Intricate! Nice one. I like the before-and-after fortification, and classy nod to Butch.

Good'n, Ken.

Rob Powell
Apr-25-2009, 4:47am
Here's mine.

Ken that Redline sounds phenomenal! I can feel the MAS setting in :grin:

Great job, I like Butch's version. Good on ya mate!

What woods on your Redline?

Bertram Henze
Apr-25-2009, 10:12am
Here's mine.

Wow, so much ornamentation per millisecond - the mandolin comes into it's own there. :mandosmiley:

Now, is that dog covering his ears the moment you start to play? :grin:

Bertram

Mike Bromley
Apr-25-2009, 10:24am
BTW, Ken, is that Mt. Redoubt's ash plume, er, eruptive column, on your avatar?
(In keeping with the possibly hazardous side of posting WhiskeyTunes)

journeybear
Apr-25-2009, 10:34am
Ken may be recovering from the recording process and attendant effects. :) So you're not kept waiting, see this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49669) where this and other natural phenomena are displayed and discussed.

Ken Olmstead
Apr-25-2009, 10:55am
Thanks everyone!

Journeybear - Elsa (the black lab) is definately stealing the show! Of course I could be upstaged by a wooden spoon so... Your right, the Traveler is all the mandolin a guy NEEDS! Sounds fantastic, plays easy, looks great and less filling! However, the Brentrup is about DESIRE!! :))

Mike - I should probably give a nod to Butch before each video. He had a major impact on my desire and learning to play. His materials are the best and his music is exactly that..MUSIC. He was so tasteful. I strive for that in my playing and I have a long way to go. Viva Le Butch! Bill Synder was very kind and photoshoped my mug on the the incredible photo of Redoubts ash plume!

Rob - The Traveler is the "Walnut Wonder!" I think everyone should have one! :) Here is the "Traveler Chronicles" in case you missed it.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45261

Give into you MAS Luke! :))

Bertram - The dog is covering her ears! She is obviously the smart one!!

Mike Bromley
Apr-25-2009, 10:59am
And here is further confirmation of hazardworthyness....

Volcanic 'ash' is not really ash, but instead fragments of glass. The glass is formed by the rapid cooling of gas-charged magma, which is being blown out of the volcano as a frothy mixture, a kind of 'rock foam' called pumice. The bubbles in the foam shatter, forming fragments of bubbles....made of volcanic glass...which, as you can imagine, have very hard, and very sharp, edges. Hence the abrasive nature of ash, and pumice stone, for that matter.

Ya don't want to breath this stuff for long.

~:>:mandosmiley:

Ken_P
Apr-25-2009, 11:38am
I cheated a bit, but I had so much fun that I hope you won't mind :)

I was going to do a mando version too, but there have been too many good ones so far that I feel I wouldn't add anything new or different. I figure this guitar version is worth posting, though. I've been playing this arrangement for years, inspired by (or lovingly copied from) Norman Blake's classic recording.

6tAf1JQBXlQ

Bertram Henze
Apr-25-2009, 11:47am
Volcanic 'ash' is not really ash, but instead fragments of glass.

Where there is glass, the need to fill it with whiskey arises... :)

Whatever happens inevitably leads to this thread. There's no escape from Bill's world. :cool:

Bertram

Mike Bromley
Apr-25-2009, 11:53am
I cheated a bit

Where? Nice job...Oh! Right! Mandolin!

There's no escape from Bill's world. :cool:

Bertram

Muahahahhahhahhaaahhhh, no redoubt about it!

Bertram Henze
Apr-25-2009, 11:55am
I was going to do a mando version too, but there have been too many good ones so far that I feel I wouldn't add anything new or different.

Now don't be shy - there has been a spectacular one on guitar as well, and that didn't prevent you from playing this nice homely version, so what's the difference? Go ahead and record your mandolin today!

Bertram

Jill McAuley
Apr-25-2009, 12:35pm
Ken O. - that was great! And what a treat to hear that walnut Traveler - just gets me more excited by the prospect that mine should be on the way soon!

Ken P. - lovely guitar playing sir - "cheating" or not, well done to you!!

Cheers,
Jill

journeybear
Apr-25-2009, 1:52pm
I cheated a bit ...

Where? Nice job...Oh! Right! Mandolin!

Also - no shot! :disbelief: Horrors!

Very nice and clean - without even looking down too much. Turns me green with envy. ;)

Mike Bromley
Apr-25-2009, 2:11pm
Also - no shot! :disbelief: Horrors!

Very nice and clean - without even looking down too much. Turns me green with envy. ;)

An attempted escape from BillWorld, and we failed to notice! :cool::popcorn:

journeybear
Apr-25-2009, 2:42pm
Actually, there have been so few entries in this challenge, I'm that much more grateful for every one! Over 5600 views and only 21 videos? That's less than 1/2 of 1%. Come on people! Don't be shy! Let's hear you! (Yes, that's a paraphrase from a song by the mandolin-playing Hooters.) :mandosmiley::mandosmiley::mandosmiley:

cedarhog
Apr-25-2009, 3:28pm
Well here I go.....not a drinker though ~o)gzqj0pdzWtA

JeffD
Apr-25-2009, 4:03pm
This has been and is one of the most fun threads around.

Just fantastic

Schlegel
Apr-25-2009, 4:18pm
Since this was a new tune for me, it's great to hear all the different versions... "tune" vs. "ornamentation" has become a lot clearer.

journeybear
Apr-25-2009, 5:03pm
Well here I go.....not a drinker though ~o)

Good going! We'll waive the drinking requirement because of the originality and creativity you displayed in the second A part. Nicely done! :mandosmiley:

I think you also deserve mention for Best Decor. Now THAT is a den! :cool:

Nice hat, too ... :)

BTW, how are things coming with the MandoBird? Not that I'm suggesting you do a rocked-out version (well, I could be), just wondering.

Speaking of which, stumbled across this on youtube - an unofficial entry. Proof that there are others with, ah, limited fashion sense ...

YVVhgNu3AFc

... and a one man band approach.

PyJwIvP0LDE

Jill McAuley
Apr-25-2009, 5:03pm
Just from watching all the clips of this tune I was able to pick up my mandolin this morning and sit down and play it from beginning to end - and I've never played or heard it before this thread started! I don't have a video camera, getting one soon though, so when that happens I'll post a clip..

Cheers,
Jill

cedarhog
Apr-25-2009, 6:14pm
I really haven't played the mandobird much past that video...but I have it and its ready to go anytime I need POWER!

Mike Bromley
Apr-25-2009, 10:11pm
Speaking of which, stumbled across this on youtube - an unofficial entry. Proof that there are others with, ah, limited fashion sense ...

And a left-hand style resembling Django Reinhardt, but not for the same reasons...

GTG
Apr-26-2009, 1:54am
Ok, I just got a webcam (partly inspired by this thread! Ha! I'm such a wannabe...). Well, it must have felt like this the first time I talked to an answering machine (remember those?), several decades ago. Good fun. And now I have a glass of scotch to finish off. The night is young!

81l-BB34yX8

Bertram Henze
Apr-26-2009, 4:03am
Ok, I just got a webcam (partly inspired by this thread! Ha! I'm such a wannabe...). Well, it must have felt like this the first time I talked to an answering machine (remember those?), several decades ago. Good fun. And now I have a glass of scotch to finish off. The night is young!

That Dalmore is among the best choices you could make for scotch, and see what good it has done - congrats! It even helps to ease the foolish Futurama feeling of playing to a machine (I am still trying to find out if my webcam likes my music, I suspect it rather has a Marvinistic attitude). :)

Bertram

Charles E.
Apr-26-2009, 7:07pm
Dan, great playing. Good choice in Scotch, so begs the question does your playing get better if you drink better whiskey?

Charley

the two most important things in Old Time music are water and whiskey.
Water we gonna play and whiskey are we gonna play in.

Ken Olmstead
Apr-27-2009, 10:18am
Nice job Dan!

I have been wanting to try the Scotch thing so last weekend my mom had some around and I tried some. It was a terrible experience! I much prefer the flavor of syphoned unleaded to what I had! Wretched stuff! It was probably not very good so I may try it again but I will not be buying a whole bottle to do it!! :)

GTG
Apr-27-2009, 12:11pm
Thanks for the kind words, folks.
As for scotch, I do think it helped calm the nerves a bit! Uh, I guess moderation is key here, eh? I wouldn't want to be responsible for any SR Vaughn/J Joplin/J Morrison type addictions. Ken, I guess it's an acquired taste?! I couldn't stand the stuff during my early college years, but somewhere in there avoidance became tolerance which evolved to appreciation.

I've enjoyed bottles of Glenlivet, Talisker, and the featured Dalmore, but am certainly no expert!

How's that saying go? Think tonally, drink globally?

jellyphish04
Apr-27-2009, 1:37pm
These all sound great guys! I am hoping String Cheese will bust this one out at Rothbury!!

Rob Powell
Apr-27-2009, 4:48pm
Nice job Dan!

I have been wanting to try the Scotch thing so last weekend my mom had some around and I tried some. It was a terrible experience! I much prefer the flavor of syphoned unleaded to what I had! Wretched stuff! It was probably not very good so I may try it again but I will not be buying a whole bottle to do it!! :)

Ken...was it a single malt? I can't drink anything but single malts...well, as far as scotch:grin: It can be an acquired taste.

JeffD
Apr-27-2009, 5:42pm
Nice job Dan!

I learned to drink and appreciate Scotch in Edinburgh at a folk festival jam. What I learned is that in a pub crowded with musicians, having to get up and take a pee 20 minutes or so was very disrupting. So I swtiched from beer to Scotch - less liquid, problem solved.

:mandosmiley:

papa willie
Apr-27-2009, 5:44pm
Ken, Try a taste of The Macallan 18 yr. single malt. It just might be your cup of tea, so to speak.

Mike Bromley
Apr-27-2009, 5:50pm
My my, this thread is descending into a lushpot of Single Malt tasters and comparers....

....What happened to the posting of lovely videos punctuated by the quaffing of low-liquid high-octane distillates?

(reaching for my water jug)

~:>

journeybear
Apr-27-2009, 8:18pm
Yesh, too mush o' one 'n' not enuff o' da otherrr ... <hic!> ... Huh? Wha' ya say? ... <hic!> ...

Bertram Henze
Apr-28-2009, 1:14am
Nice job Dan!

Scotch covers a wide spectrum of tastes, and not every point of it is a good entry point. Beginners are supposed to start at the mild end with more sherry cask flavour and little or no peat or smoke. That Macallen papa willie recommended is a good one, though quite expensive. My recommended entry is Dalwhinnie.
And, yes, I agree that it is an acquired taste. Takes time to become an expert, but it is a good time :grin:~o)

Bertram

billkilpatrick
Apr-28-2009, 2:38am
zut alhors ... back from france, where i learned two things:

1. - on his death-bed, oscar wilde's last words were "either that wallpaper goes or i do."

2. - calvados drinkers go to heaven - they suffer horribly here on earth.

great videos posted in my absence - complimenti tutti!

(i dreamt i was playing my mandolin. i woke up with the sound of it ringing in my ears; sore fingertips ... weird.)

- guillaume

journeybear
Apr-28-2009, 6:29am
... I much prefer the flavor of syphoned unleaded to what I had!

If that's how your taste runs you should try Laphroiag. It's got such a pronounced peat smoke aroma and taste it might actually be gasoline! :disbelief:

... back from france, where i learned ... on his death-bed, oscar wilde's last words were "either that wallpaper goes or i do."

- guillaume

You do know which one went, oui? :)

Bienvenue à L'Italie!

Ken Olmstead
Apr-28-2009, 10:06am
1. - on his death-bed, oscar wilde's last words were "either that wallpaper goes or i do."

Now that is a guy that has the right perspective on life! I think I would have liked him! :) Welcome back Bill!

Thanks everyone for the Scotch tips. Most things that are not on the Surgeon Generals "approved list" are an aquired taste. Every notice that? Most peoples first reaction to "adult" consumables are not positive. It is very rare, that a young man's first sip of dad's beer is the same experience as the first time trying chocolate cake! :))

Did I miss Bernie's post on this thread? I know he has made one and put it on youtube but I don't remember seeing it here. He did it as an irish jig, pretty fun.

More videos!!!! Don't make me pull out the distorted, univibe emando or electric guitar. Heaven forbid you push me to posting a banjo version!! :))

Bertram Henze
Apr-28-2009, 10:25am
If that's how your taste runs you should try Laphroiag. It's got such a pronounced peat smoke aroma and taste it might actually be gasoline! :disbelief:

Laphroaig happens to be my favourite one for winter. Defnitely not for beginners. :disbelief:

But as for gasoline: I remember a commercial showing a young man in a bar being served a glass of gasoline, and after thoroughly tasting it he shakes his head and says "that's not Jim Beam"... or so it was :grin:

Bertram

Ken_P
Apr-28-2009, 8:14pm
Sorry to be late in rejoining the party, but I finally worked up a mandolin version I wanted to share. Because of my compulsion to post something different, I offer an original arrangement that kind of reminds me of an old music box. I threw in the "straight" version for fun.

I prefer caffeine to alcohol, so this is powered by Earl Grey Tea:

nnJtDSX3n2Q

Mike Bromley
Apr-28-2009, 8:20pm
Exquisite! The concentration is spectacular...did you chug a 45-gallon drum of Earl Grey concentrate?

Seriously, nice job. Lovely tone.

chip
Apr-28-2009, 8:46pm
This is one of the best threads I've taken the time to follow in a loooonngg time... we should do this for alot of the traditional songs. Not only expose the old standards to new subscribers but just have fun and send them in.:mandosmiley:

Mike Bromley
Apr-28-2009, 8:50pm
This is one of the best threads I've taken the time to follow in a loooonngg time... we should do this for alot of the traditional songs. Not only expose the old standards to new subscribers but just have fun and send them in.:mandosmiley:

I think Bill K should be credited with a stroke of genius for setting us loose on this (and hopefully others, Chip) project. The responses have been stellar, displaying a wide range of skills and ability. It's not how good you are on our little guitfiddle, but that you put forth your interpretation at all.

I agree, Chip, more tunes and styles are definitely grist for the mill.

Ken Olmstead
Apr-28-2009, 9:01pm
Ken, that is a very cool appraoch!!

billkilpatrick
Apr-29-2009, 12:25am
ken - what brand of tea do you drink? ... - great arrangement - baroque!

Bertram Henze
Apr-29-2009, 1:28am
Very intricate indeed, Ken. I can picture the musical box in my head, with tiny figures of tea-intoxicated villagers, their dance driven by the clockwork. :)

And, Ken - welcome to our small elite circle of never-smiling concentrated players :grin:

A tea drinker myself, I refrain from starting a discussion about the thousands of ways what tea to buy, how to boil it and how to drink it - a complicated field that just leaves whiskey standing. But if someone feels like starting a new "swig'n pick" thread: there is a reel called "The Cup of Tea" (http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/20).

Bertram

journeybear
Apr-29-2009, 7:55am
Leave whiskey standing? :disbelief: I don't think so!!! :grin: Not among this crowd! ;)

Ken_P
Apr-29-2009, 8:13am
Thanks for the kind words. I didn't mean to cause such a stir with the tea comment! It was really just to excuse the lack of alcohol. I do enjoy a good cup of tea when I can get one, though.

I'll add my voice to the group calling for more of these threads! It's been great fun to see how many different takes people can come up with, and very rewarding to whip one up myself and share it. I think maybe this should become some kind of regular feature. This thread has run a little over a week, so maybe every two weeks or so we could start on a new project? Any nominations for the next tune?

chip
Apr-29-2009, 8:39am
Soldiers Joy, Banjo Signal, Katy Hill, Liberty, etc.
I think these types of songs lets everyone join in. Jeruselem Ridge would be nice also..:grin:

Barbara Shultz
Apr-29-2009, 8:43am
Thanks for the kind words. I didn't mean to cause such a stir with the tea comment! It was really just to excuse the lack of alcohol. I do enjoy a good cup of tea when I can get one, though.

I'll add my voice to the group calling for more of these threads! It's been great fun to see how many different takes people can come up with, and very rewarding to whip one up myself and share it. I think maybe this should become some kind of regular feature. This thread has run a little over a week, so maybe every two weeks or so we could start on a new project? Any nominations for the next tune?

Over on the CBOM board, a 'challenge' has been started, but so far, most are still working on their entry! Its for a medley made famous by Planxy, I believe, of Dennis Murphy's Polka, Forty Two Pound Cheque, and John Ryan's Polka.

I agree, it's fun AND educational, these videos. One thing, it sure brings home to ourselves, just what face we put on when we play! Learning to play your instrument, and at least look decent, is a hard thing to do!

Barb

Elliot Luber
Apr-29-2009, 8:45am
Next, we need to figure out how to do a virtual jam.

billkilpatrick
Apr-29-2009, 9:04am

yah! ...

how about this ... we agree on a song and anyone who wants to participate, submits a video to youtube. someone who KNOWS! ... (i've read about them - they exist) grabs the verse or riff or whatever with grabber software and compiles a video - a bit like a patchwork quilt.

wasn't the recent "internet symphony" global mash-up done like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC4FAyg64OI&feature=channel

we'd all have to agree on a song, tune-up properly and tap our toes to the same beat per minute but it shouldn't be too hard to do.

any of chip's suggestions would be fine with me.

anyone want to be conductor/video director? ... is that a baton in your pocket or are you excited by the project?

- bill

journeybear
Apr-29-2009, 9:26am
... we'd all have to agree on a song, tune-up properly and tap our toes to the same beat per minute ...

OK, so it ain't gonna happen. Didn't need to be coy about it! :grin:

Bob Andress
Apr-29-2009, 10:03am

This was attempted a couple months ago but had no takers. Now that this thread has taken off, it might be a good time to revisit the idea of a Cyber Jam.

Here is a link to that thread. (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47632&page=2&highlight=cyber)

Post #27 gives a link to how to post the video together.
I look forward to seeing the next phase of this challenge as I'm now trying to learn this tune.

journeybear
Apr-29-2009, 10:16am
That's an old link. But it looks like if you go to http://senduit.com/ and upload a file, something along these lines can be managed. The outside limit for it being up at that site is a week, but before then someone can put whatever's there on a personal webpage, youtube channel, myspage page, etc., and then start over again. :mandosmiley: If someone wants to get started with this, contact ApK who spearheaded that project, and seems to know more about using that site's capabilities. It looks like he and Bernie Daniel actually got something going there, but it's gone now. There's no info at the site about how this works, that I can see. It might become more clear once someone uploads a file.

Elliot Luber
Apr-29-2009, 10:45am
Let's give folks plenty of notice so they can practice. And, please ask folks to wear shirts in the video. We're representin' here.

Barbara Shultz
Apr-29-2009, 11:00am
OK, so it ain't gonna happen. Didn't need to be coy about it! :grin:

Hey, I think it could happen!!!:grin:

If we agreed on a tune, and a bpm tempo.... and we all recorded with a metronome (audible only to ourselves, or a visual one, I can't stand that!), I bet we'd be pretty close to right-on!

Barb

Elliot Luber
Apr-29-2009, 11:02am
Hey, it may not be perfect, but it will be fun.

journeybear
Apr-29-2009, 11:15am
Hey, I think it could happen!!!:grin:

If we agreed on a tune, and a bpm tempo.... and we all recorded with a metronome ...

It was a joke, Barb! Though I do wonder sometimes if enough of us can agree on such basic considerations as song choice, tempo, and manage to tune correctly. :) This would really be impossible with banjos! :)) I kid, I kid - fine insterment, the banjer ... ;)

I think there is some editing capability at that website, at least to sync up slight variations in tempo. If someone involved in this project has recording software, I expect he/she could download the intermediate stage, make adjustments to compensate for variations in pitch, and then reupload to the website (http://senduit.com/) for further contributions. I believe Indaba Music (http://indabamusic.com) allows for this kind of activity as well, perhaps audio only.

Of course, while we're discussing this, we're neglecting our duty, which is to nudge people for more contributions! (Hint hint, nudge nudge, wink wink ...)

billkilpatrick
Apr-29-2009, 11:29am
Let's give folks plenty of notice so they can practice. And, please ask folks to wear shirts in the video. We're representin' here.

... and knees covered, please - jb's gave me a fright.

i propose that barbara (ladies first) kicks off with a video to youtube - setting key and tempo - with the rest of us following accordingly. someone ... SOMEONE! ... with the proper grabber software can mix and match from the contributions later.

what about "liberty" in "D?"

- bill

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-29-2009, 12:45pm
Since we all got WBB why not start with that. Pick the one with the correct temp and we can all copy it. ONE of them's gotta be close?

Baron Collins-Hill
Apr-30-2009, 9:44am
hope its not too late for another entry. no booze here, im only 20. also, i hope adding a little dadgad doesn't excommunicate me.

I am clearly having trouble imbedding this, but here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8XraeJPg3M

thanks
baron

Mike Bromley
Apr-30-2009, 9:48am
hope its not too late for another entry. no booze here, im only 20. also, i hope adding a little dadgad doesn't excommunicate me.

How do i work this?"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8XraeJPg3M

thanks
baron

Like this: You need to enter just the "d8XraeJPg3M" into the Youtube dialogue box. Done.
d8XraeJPg3M

Baron Collins-Hill
Apr-30-2009, 9:49am
ah, thank you for that

Mike Bromley
Apr-30-2009, 9:50am
Fantastic!!!!:mandosmiley::popcorn:

Barbara Shultz
Apr-30-2009, 9:52am

thanks
baron

Hey, that was great! You've obviously got some more advanced webcam & editing program, that was cool!

Barb

chip
Apr-30-2009, 9:52am
Good Job!:mandosmiley:

billkilpatrick
Apr-30-2009, 10:01am
i'll have what phishphan isn't ...

that was great!

Elliot Luber
Apr-30-2009, 10:03am
Hey, let's link to the right key version on Mandozine, so everyone at least has the basics.

Chris Hasty
Apr-30-2009, 10:03am

thanks
baron

That was fantastic. I really enjoyed it.

Also, wanted to say that when I first got the mandolin a few months ago yours were some of the first youtube videos I watched. Thanks for the tips you offered. They were very helpful.

Chris

Patrick Hull
Apr-30-2009, 10:23am
Very good, Phish Phan......Trey A could not have done better...really!

Shelagh Moore
Apr-30-2009, 11:34am
Very tasteful Phish Phan! And no bother... I am also a practitioner of the "dark arts" (DADGAD)! In fact all the posted videos have been highly commendable.

mandopete
Apr-30-2009, 12:07pm

The dadgad works perfectly. Very, very nice!

5 Stars!

Chris Travers
Apr-30-2009, 12:37pm
Here's me playin' with no whiskey but it is before breakfast. :grin:

http://vimeo.com/4396954?pg=embed&sec=&hd=1

Chris

Barbara Shultz
Apr-30-2009, 12:37pm
Hey, let's link to the right key version on Mandozine, so everyone at least has the basics.

Well, I checked out Mandozine, and I'd suggest that we use this one:

2003-12-01 Whiskey Before Breakfast D Traditional Shartel Intermediate Bluegrass

You can get to the page where you can chose that one by clicking here (http://www.mandozine.com/music/search_results.php?searchfor=whiskey&tuneselectby=C&mandolevel=&category=&songkey=&artist=&transcriber=&sortby=T&sortorder=A&submit=)

How does that sound to ya'll? Now, how about a target tempo, bpm?

Mike Scott
Apr-30-2009, 1:59pm
I must say I am very impressed with all the various renditions. Even the "new" guys played way better than I do. I've been working on it a while too. I was considering selling 2 of my 3 mandolins, now I think I'll sell them all. They will be in the classifieds in a few days! Way to play that tune!

ChrisStewart
Apr-30-2009, 2:43pm
Hold on Mike before you go selling em check this out!

Let's see if I can do this right:

DdsF-F-O9kM

Joel Spaulding
May-01-2009, 10:21am
RppFhMFk7H4Whiskey Before breakfast- sans the whiskey.
My humble submission below; tempo, tuning and melody ad lib :grin: Perhaps this weekend, a "new and improved version".

I started this with a minor feel, attempting to convey the darkness one might experience after an evening of whiskey imbibing. Then a brief pause ( this is where the before breakfast shot should be consumed)and on to the melody lifted in spirit by the early morning spirits. Prior to this thread this tune was not in my repetoire. As obvious from the video, it is still not in my repetoire.

Great thread Bill!

Edit - Thanks for the tips Bill. Think it is fixed. I think I may have helped lower the bar a bit - but first video and all....:mandosmiley:

billkilpatrick
May-01-2009, 10:40am
joel - your video is marked "private" and can't be seen publicly. when you begin to cut and paste the video link from youtube, all you need do is click-on that part of the address which is after the equal sign (=). click on the "youtube" button here at the cafe (top of your reply box) and paste it into the slot provided. it will MIRACULOUSLY! appear in your reply. (doesn't work for "quick reply" however ... no "youtube" button."

with yours included, sight unseen, i'd have to say that the level of playing is intimidatingly good ... but the level whiskey drinking is at a low, low, really very low ebb indeed.

Jill McAuley
May-01-2009, 10:43am
ChrisStewart,
That's your new mandolin, right? It sounds lovely!

Cheers,
Jill

ChrisStewart
May-01-2009, 10:49am
Thanks Jill, It sounds much better than my playing ability :)

I am very pleased with the tone and it also seems to be easier on my hand and fingers.

Barbara Shultz
May-01-2009, 10:58am
Chris & Joel... those were both GREAT!

Personally, I prefer tunes played at less than breakneck speed... where you give the tune some personality, and can actually HEAR the cleanly picked notes!

Barb

Bertram Henze
May-01-2009, 10:59am
I started this with a minor feel, attempting to convey the darkness one might experience after an evening of whiskey imbibing.

There's indeed a slightly tragic Russian touch to that part - Vodka before Breakfast? :)

Bertram

Mike Bromley
May-01-2009, 11:20am
I like your Beatlesque ending, Joel...:mandosmiley:

billkilpatrick
May-01-2009, 11:44am
joel - yes, great ending! ... love the "f" holes - very distinctive. what mandolin do you have?

Perry
May-01-2009, 6:45pm
okay we anticipated the challenge by a couple of years ;) As is our typical M.O. we were drinking lots of stuff that day...BTW we met a fiddle player just before this was shot and asked her to jam a tune or two....this was the first tune... haven't seen her since

4Sq2Ip0mgmc

Bertram Henze
May-02-2009, 4:33am
okay we anticipated the challenge by a couple of years

Foresight pays off :)

What a refreshing reference version, complete with singing!
However, furniture and decor seem to fall behind the average standards of this thread :grin:

Bertram

journeybear
May-02-2009, 7:47pm
You maintan your composure very well, even with the guitarist nearest you stumbling around a bit, leaning toward you, threatening to fall right on top of you. OK, maybe I mean he maintained his composure! :grin:

Anyway, a nice sprightly version. Thanks for sharing! :mandosmiley:

John Ritchhart
May-03-2009, 9:18am
Well, I don't know if it was the whiskey or the time of day but I couldn't feel my arm. :) Anyway the whiskey wasn't bad, even before breakfast. Can't say the same for the pickin'. :(

OY6P-4niEsw

Leigh Coates
May-03-2009, 10:16am
Wow, that was great! I really enjoyed that. What kind of guitar is your guitarist playing?

Cheers,

Leigh

okay we anticipated the challenge by a couple of years ;) As is our typical M.O. we were drinking lots of stuff that day...BTW we met a fiddle player just before this was shot and asked her to jam a tune or two....this was the first tune... haven't seen her since

4Sq2Ip0mgmc

journeybear
May-03-2009, 10:34am
I dunno, jbrwky, perhaps you should have had the whiskey afterward, as in the OP. :whistling: Then again, this was most enjoyable. Your sense of humor is most commendable, as is your choice of whiskey. ;) Apology accepted. Indeed, unnecessary. Thanks for sharing! :mandosmiley:

Mike Bromley
May-03-2009, 11:04am
I dunno, jbrwky, perhaps you should have had the whiskey afterward, as in the OP. :whistling: Then again, this was most enjoyable. Your sense of humor is most commendable, as is your choice of whiskey. ;) Apology accepted. Indeed, unnecessary. Thanks for sharing! :mandosmiley:

And a nice-sounding mando as well. A fern?

billkilpatrick
May-03-2009, 11:22am
give that man a cigar! ... i don't know how alcoholics ("hair of the dog" and all that) do it - they must have incredible constitutions.

Bertram Henze
May-03-2009, 12:35pm
Well, I don't know if it was the whiskey or the time of day but I couldn't feel my arm. :) Anyway the whiskey wasn't bad, even before breakfast. Can't say the same for the pickin'. :(

Well I guess you either kept looking upwards because the Dalwhinnie distillery is the highest in Scotland, or because you had your sheet music pinned on the ceiling :)):)).

That was exactly the mood this tune is supposed to convey, good one!

Bertram