PDA

View Full Version : Aria Mandolin

mariondesouza
Apr-18-2009, 6:51am
I have had an Aria Mandolin which is made in Japan. It has the model number as M-180VS.
Can anyone give me information about this mandolin. I have had it several years. It is a flat back and plays very well. I have now joined a mandolin group and we have an excellent teacher.

Marion de Souza:)

Taylor and Tenor
Apr-19-2009, 11:05am
Aria currently makes that model according to their current catalog. The VS is a violin sunburst.

I have a Aria double point made in Korea which was manufactured in 19(92) as indicated by the first two numbers in the serial number on the label. Yours being made in Japan most likely is older that 1992.

Like you I have been unable to find information on my Aria other than it has a collapsed laminated top and is currently unplayable.

Capt. E
Apr-20-2009, 9:57am
I have an A model labeled "Shiro" that I am pretty sure is Aria's early name. The founder of Aria was Shiro Arai (a well known Classical Guitarist). He set out in the mid-60's to manufacture quality guitars and expanded into mandolins at some point. The Aria name came when he switched the last letters of his surname.
My mandolin has a carved spruce top, mahogany back and sides and is quite a good instrument. 70's vintage Aria guitars are very much sought after, many consider them better than similar vintage Gibsons. The mandoins are equally well made. Aria changed owners at some point. The new Aria instruments are not at all the same as the Japanese made ones. Not sure when production moved to Korea, but your Japanese made mando is almost certainly a better instrument, equivalent to the old Japanese made Kentucky mandos.

mariondesouza
Apr-25-2009, 8:59am
Hi Parlor and Captain E

Thank you very much for replying about my mandolin.

At last I have some information about it. I bought it back in the 60s/70s for a £100 and the hardback case cost £25.

I will put a photo of it on the site

Best Wishes and Thanks again

Marion :)

Leigh Coates
Apr-25-2009, 10:21pm
I also have an older Aria A model that has "AZ218 - Made in Japan" on the label. It also has a carved spruce top and mahagony sides and back. It has tortoishell binding and nice MOP inlay on the headstock; and it's a nice instrument as well. It's interesting to hear of others that have a similar mandolin, I hadn't heard of any others up to now.

Capt. E
Apr-26-2009, 11:31am
My "Shiro" also has tortise binding and nice MOP inlay. Again, I am pretty certain Shiro and Aria are the same company. Everyone who has played mine makes very positive comments.

Leigh Coates
Apr-26-2009, 9:56pm
Capt. E

I had a look at the picture you posted of your Shiro in your album, and it is very similar to my Aria. My computer is having problems right now, but once I get it fixed next week I'll attach a picture of my Aria to this thread.

My "Shiro" also has tortise binding and nice MOP inlay. Again, I am pretty certain Shiro and Aria are the same company. Everyone who has played mine makes very positive comments.