PDA

View Full Version : Clark F5 #47 Wow

Scotti Adams
Apr-17-2009, 6:17pm
Heres a few pics of The Clark #47. I know Ive been one to rage over every mando I have posted on here but there comes a time when one has to take all that back..not that those previos mandos havent been fine, fine mandos and Ive enjoyed every one. Folks Im here to tell you that Ausitn has flat out nailed it. This mando is w/o a doubt the best new mando I have ever played. Besides its flawless beauty its very, very loud and each note has a huge presence. The tone is what Ive been looking for going on 30 yrs. Deep and woody with clear as bell highs and the sustain is on a stage of its own. The intonation is A+ and it plays like butter. Now I leave you with a few pics...Ive got to get back to playing. Im finding myself doing things on a mando that I didnt think I could. Enjoy. Red Spruce and lacquer finish. Sidebound, compound radius fingerboard, James tailpiece and Hyde glue construction

Scotti Adams
Apr-17-2009, 6:20pm
A couple more

MandoJump
Apr-17-2009, 7:01pm
Wow indeed! Congrats on your new axe.

mandopete
Apr-17-2009, 7:11pm
Looks Beautyous

Sound clips?

Scotti Adams
Apr-17-2009, 7:21pm
Im not smart enough to do sound clips.

Skip Kelley
Apr-17-2009, 8:37pm
Scotti, that is some kind of sweet! Congratulations!

JEStanek
Apr-17-2009, 8:55pm
Congratulations, Scotti. Looks great, indeed.

Jamie

Fretbear
Apr-17-2009, 9:17pm
Looks like a full-foot bridge on there. I think they "give more".....

Bill Auld
Apr-17-2009, 9:21pm
Beautiful work - very impressive! The woods are awesome ... Give us sound updates as you play it more (but your description already deadnail's what I like) ... Congrats, Scotti!

Jill McAuley
Apr-18-2009, 12:18am
What a beauty! I was just looking at the Clark website today - I've love to get him to make me an oval A someday.

Cheers,
Jill

Scotti Adams
Apr-18-2009, 7:24am
Thanks for the compliments but Austin should get all the kudoz. Fine..mighty fine.

Scotti Adams
Apr-18-2009, 7:27am
I just had to post another pic of the back..this ones much better I think..if you dont mind the glare..a photographer Im not

F5G WIZ
Apr-18-2009, 8:14am
Congrats Scotti! You have to been long without a Mando. We have got to hook up and compare sometime.

Scotti Adams
Apr-18-2009, 9:58am
I just had to post another pic of the back..this ones much better I think..if you dont mind the glare..a photographer Im not

Yea we need to do that soon.

pickinNgrinnin
Apr-18-2009, 10:49pm
I know Ive been one to rage over every mando I have posted on here but there comes a time when one has to take all that back..not that those previos mandos havent been fine, fine mandos and Ive enjoyed every one. Folks Im here to tell you that Ausitn has flat out nailed it. This mando is w/o a doubt the best new mando I have ever played.

Scotti- you are certainly not the only one who has been on this board raving about their Mandolins - perhaps the best known however:))

Seriously though, that is a BEAUTIFUL Mandolin. Good to see you back in the game. :mandosmiley:

Scotti Adams
Apr-19-2009, 11:34am
Okay..Ive had almost 2 days to play the new puppy..the wife kept me busy with honey dos most of the day yesterday...prettiest day of the spring so far. Its only gotten better...actually..its pretty scarey. Ive never had a mandolin that the notes just jump off the fingerboard. Its very responsive..very in your face if you want it to be but subtle if need be. Ive forgot to mention that its very light and thats due mostly to carbon fiber rod instead of a traditional truss rod. I dont know if this has an effect on how a mando sounds but Im starting to believe it must. Its only 4 months old but it sounds like its been played in for years. Its very loose if you all know what I mean. How many of you have tuned a mando below standard and enjoyed the feel of the strings, tone and responsiveness and how loose it feels? Thats what Im talking about...only Im in standard tuning. Already Im comparing the tone to McCourys Gil, Dempseys Hutto..its got that fat, woody clear as a bell tone.
Cheers!

Chuck Naill
Apr-19-2009, 12:32pm
It amazes me how many great builders we have. That Clark #47 has the kind of light starburst I like.

chuck

Scotti Adams
Apr-19-2009, 2:29pm
It amazes me how many great builders we have. That Clark #47 has the kind of light starburst I like.

chuck

Yea..I really like the color of it too..just wish my camera skills were better because my pics really dont show the color as it really is..it perhaps a little darker all the way around.

Chris Biorkman
Apr-19-2009, 2:58pm
It's four months old? Did you buy it used? Looks really nice.

Scotti Adams
Apr-19-2009, 6:46pm
It's four months old? Did you buy it used? Looks really nice.

It was used very little..maybe 2 hrs of playing time.

Austin Koerner
Apr-21-2009, 12:40pm
Dempsey's Hutto? Wow! I plan on getting on Austin's list sometime in the future. I REALLY want one of his F5s. I would not sell my two point though, so it could be a while. Mine also has a full contact bridge, I like it.

Scotti Adams
Apr-21-2009, 1:02pm
I should clarify that this mando's bridge is not full contact..its got a gap in the middle between the top and the bridge. Not much of one but none the less its there.

Scotti Adams
Apr-21-2009, 2:09pm
See what I mean...:) Should have blown the dust off of it.

Joe F
Apr-23-2009, 2:25pm
Congratulations, Scotti! My Clark F5 (#27) is coming up on its first birthday, and it continues to sound better and better every time I play it (and it was a killer right out of the box, too). I still get comments about how good it sounds at my regular weekly old-time jams.

Scotti Adams
Apr-23-2009, 4:29pm
Thanks Joe! It is a real gem of a mando...and Im glad you have great things to say of yours also.

Chris Keth
Apr-23-2009, 4:45pm
That is really beautiful! I'm looking forward to the day when I feel like a good enough player to warrant a handmade instrument.

Scotti Adams
Apr-23-2009, 4:50pm
That is really beautiful! I'm looking forward to the day when I feel like a good enough player to warrant a handmade instrument.

There is no day like the present. A custom built axe does one good. Thanks for the kudoz!:mandosmiley:

Chris Keth
Apr-23-2009, 6:54pm
There is no day like the present. A custom built axe does one good. Thanks for the kudoz!:mandosmiley:

With that in mind I'll add the addendum, "and I can't wait to have the money for one, too." :))

mandozilla
Apr-23-2009, 8:37pm
Whoee! That's a beauty Scotti...I love the woods. BTW, my 27 year old Kettler F5 has carbon fiber instead of an adjustable truss rod and the neck is as straight and true as if it were new. And I think you're right about CF...I've never seen/heard/played a Kettler with CF that didn't have excellent tone and volume just like mine does. Enjoy your 'new' mandolin Scotti. :grin:

~o):mandosmiley:

Scotti Adams
Apr-24-2009, 6:45am
Whoee! That's a beauty Scotti...I love the woods. BTW, my 27 year old Kettler F5 has carbon fiber instead of an adjustable truss rod and the neck is as straight and true as if it were new. And I think you're right about CF...I've never seen/heard/played a Kettler with CF that didn't have excellent tone and volume just like mine does. Enjoy your 'new' mandolin Scotti. :grin:

~o):mandosmiley:

Wow..Ididnt know that CF went back that far..at least the use in instruments. I remember when I was much younger seeing Kettler mandos advertized in Frets mags. Ive never gotten the chance to play one but Ive heard great things about them. Thanks for the compliments. :mandosmiley:

Scotti Adams
Apr-27-2009, 5:56pm
Well,,after a couple of weeks with this Hoss I continue to have nothing but kudoz to say about this mando and Austin. Both are class acts. I havent had the chance to play it in a band setting yet.. but I will this week. Like I reported a few days ago..Im amazed how a new axe can produce tone, timbre and volume as if it were a mando of several yrs old and the notes just bounce off the fingerboard, the visual beauty is on a shelf of its own. :mandosmiley: Just checkin in with an update.

unklemean
Apr-28-2009, 9:35pm
As a two time offender: Clark #11 two point oval and Clark #20 Blond F5; I do undersatand the delight of Austins craft. Have a great mando-day

djidaho
Apr-28-2009, 11:34pm
I have the #38, A 2 point oval that I've had a few months now. It's to late to figure out how to post a Picture again but it's in the " Post a Pic of your birds eye maple threads". I love it so much I have a hard time taking it out of the house. I actually had an embarrasing moment when I ran in to Austin at a workshop a couple weeks ago with my beater. Get it out and play it he says, I say I play it everyday.
dj

Scotti Adams
May-11-2009, 3:28pm
Heres a couple of shots of the new pick guard I just finished installing courtesy of Mr. Clark

Jill McAuley
May-11-2009, 10:53pm
Ah, that pickguard is definitely a nice touch!

Cheers,
Jill

Scotti Adams
May-12-2009, 7:32am
Thanks for the kudoz Jill. Today I will be putting it through a full band rehearsal for the first time since getting this mando. Im looking forward to putting it thru the paces and just seeing what it will do. All indications up to this point find me not having a worry. Its a big...full of tone sounding mandolin.
Im very, very happy with it.

Scotti Adams
May-13-2009, 8:58am
Well, yesterday I was finally able to road test this baby. All I have to say is that when I pushed her hard she never faltered..she gave it right back to me. On the other hand when I tickled her she responded with subtle beauty. Full of a robust tone on all the strings. Big, deep woody hollow chop. Loud....my god...you wanna talk about loud. When I was about 8 yrs old I ruptured my ear drum diving in the deep end too much. Over the years it has healed. Well..yesterday my ear would crack once in while. Now thats something I can live with. Once again I only have great things to say about my new mando and the man who built it. If any of you are in the Boise, Idaho area it would be worth your while to look Austin and his mandos up.

Scotti Adams
May-20-2009, 7:02am
Should be heading to the recording studio Friday. Hope to come back with some sound bytes to share.

AlanN
May-20-2009, 7:05am
Well, yesterday I was finally able to road test this baby. All I have to say is that when I pushed her hard she never faltered..she gave it right back to me. On the other hand when I tickled her she responded with subtle beauty.

Whoa, hoss. We have a family show here :))

Seriously, you talkin about a horse here or a mandolin? :mandosmiley:

Scotti Adams
May-20-2009, 7:09am
Now..taken outta context like that I could see where it could be redflagged.:cool:

Scotti Adams
Nov-13-2009, 8:28am
Okay..its been roughly 7 months since I was fortunate to acquire this great mando and I thought it was time for an update. If you go back to the first post I wrote its all that and more. #47 has matured into a mando of pure character. Like a fine wine shes aging very nicely and taking on a pure voice of her own. Shes loud and the tone is something I have always wanted in a mando. Woody..sweet....bell like highs...not to mention the A-1 craftsmanship. You all know what Im talking about. Youve heard what Im talking about in your head or you have heard it out and about or you may actually own such a mando. Ive owned some fine, fine mandos. Im very content. Yea..yea bash me..Ive said this before...but trust me when I say it now. Im done searching. Kudoz to Austin for making such a fine instrument. Oh..and if I do happen to ebb the first person I will contact is Austin. By all means my view is in no way taking away from the fine luthiers that show their wares on this board. They are mouth watering..alot of those I have never had the opportunity to play..probably never will. This is a great community we live in.

Dfyngravity
Nov-13-2009, 8:49am
The first time I saw a Clark mandolin here on the cafe I found myself going to his website over and over. The workmanship always seems to be as flawless as a human can get it. There have been several praises of Austin's work so I can only imagine how they sound.

So how about those sound bits? Let's here some fine picking Scotti, we know you have recorded some tunes.

Scotti Adams
Nov-13-2009, 10:25am
I have recorded a whole Cd..but I have no MP3's. Im not very happy with my playing on the Cd..

Dfyngravity
Nov-13-2009, 4:11pm
Is anyone truly happy with their playing?:grin: