PDA

View Full Version : KM-160 as opposed to KM-150?

SenatorJim
Apr-16-2009, 9:49am
I'm yet another beginner who's turned to this excellent site as a resource for making my initial mandolin selection, and I've generally felt very well-informed by it.

I've decided to go the decent-but-entry-level Kentucky route that is often recommended here, and settled on the Mandolin Hut because I'm just lazy enough that getting the case and other goodies in one package is worth paying a tad more, especially when you throw in the complimentary setup and shipping.

The only thing that confuses me a little bit is what the status of the KM-160 model really is, in people's minds. The KM-150 is roundly praised as a great beginner/beater model, but seldom is the 160 mentioned. I'm draw to the 160 admittedly partly because I think it looks a tad nicer, and because the Mandolin Hut offer includes a solid case in the base price, but also because at least one poster advised that its "solid, hand carved and graduated" spruce top is a meaningful improvement over the merely "solid" spruce top of the 150.

If this is really the case that the KM-160 is unreservedly a superior instrument to the KM-150, without costing much more at all, and (I think) looking nicer, why is is universally the 150 that seems to be recommended, over and over? Is it (I hope) because the 160 is a recent reintroduction that hasn't long been available, even though it really is a worthy option? Or is it because there's some real advantage to the 150? I placed an order yesterday for the 160, and I confess I'm slightly worried there's some modern improvement or other the 150 has that the 160 lacks due to focus on vintage form or features.

If anyone could ease my mind on this matter, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks!

Folkmusician.com
Apr-16-2009, 11:19am
You made the right choice. The 160 is the way to go.

I think your hunch is right... The 150 has been around a long time, The 160 is an old model that was discontinued and only recently brought back, so players do not have as much experience with it.

I am sure you will be very happy with the 160. It is in no way a downgrade from the 150 (unless you are set on a pickguard) :)

CES
Apr-16-2009, 11:38am
Ditto...

As someone who's agonized over several purchases, I feel your pain.

Just play the heck out of it when you get it. and you'll be happy with it!!