PDA

View Full Version : love is blue

billkilpatrick
Apr-14-2009, 3:34am
indeed it is ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nnjs_yWnUo

great chord progression: Dm-G-C-F ... Dm-B-C-F ... Dm-B-A7-Dm - D-G-D-G-D ... A something - (2555)-E something (4222)-A7-D

LKN2MYIS
Apr-14-2009, 6:03am
Bill -

Wonderful, as usual! You have impeccable taste in choice and playing.

What kind of mandolin is that you're playing? Real nice tone.

billkilpatrick
Apr-14-2009, 4:30pm
ciao giovanni - grazie mille - it's only available here in europe - don't ask me why - but thanks to information supplied by andy in london, here (regardless of the name on the headstock) is where it was made:

http://www.straus.co.kr/

ps - to those who (hopefully) know from those who patently don't ... what would you call a 2555 and a 4222 chord(s)?

wadeyankey
Apr-14-2009, 4:49pm
4222- This is an E9, but with no third. I suppose that it could also be Bsus4.

2555- A7sus4, or Dsus4, depending on context. I actually can't listen to the song from the computer I'm on, so I can't really hear the chords.

billkilpatrick
Apr-14-2009, 5:19pm
thanks wade - but if there was ever an example of precisely why the nuts and bolts of music remains a complete and utter mystery to me ... this is it!

really - thank you - bill

LKN2MYIS
Apr-14-2009, 5:29pm
Bill -

You really make that mandolin sound sweet. Thanks for posting these - I really look forward to it.

I grew up with Motown and the like - truly the soundtrack to a lot of our lives.

mandolirius
Apr-14-2009, 9:22pm
thanks wade - but if there was ever an example of precisely why the nuts and bolts of music remains a complete and utter mystery to me ... this is it!

really - thank you - bill

It isn't that complicated. I won't get into theory-geek mode but I really hate to see people run from this stuff when it really is quite straightforward. There are only 12 notes and every chord can be understood based on the triad (three-note) chord it is built from.

chasray
Apr-14-2009, 9:49pm
Bill, thanks for sharing and for giving the chord progressions!

wadeyankey
Apr-14-2009, 9:50pm
It isn't that complicated. I won't get into theory-geek mode but I really hate to see people run from this stuff when it really is quite straightforward. There are only 12 notes and every chord can be understood based on the triad (three-note) chord it is built from.

I totally agree with you, and it is really quite useful. I try not get in to theory geek mode very often either, since I think it scares my b****o player!;) I do remember the first time someone showed me the circle of fifths, and how it looked a lot like the thing that the Mayans used to predict their date for the apocalypse, or something to that effect.

Bill, at first glance, these chords do come off a little odd since neither of them demonstrate 1-3-5. Don't let it scare you! I won't get into the "nuts and bolts", because there are a lot of people around here that can explain it a lot better than I can. And, I really enjoy your "songs i learned to love in nyc" stuff, you never get to hear that stuff on the mando! Keep it goin'.

LKN2MYIS
Apr-15-2009, 5:59am
I'm trying desperately to learn the nuts & bolts stuff. Bought the "Complete Idiot's Guide To Music Theory" and "Standard Notation For The Tab Addicted Mandolinist".

Being self-taught, I've come to realize my student is an idiot!

Not to hijack this thread, but any additional advice anyone can give on making this learning curve a bit more palatable? It's a struggle.

And, Bill - a SECOND nomination - KEEP THIS STUFF COMING!!!!

Thanks!