PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Sam Bush

Russ Jordan
Apr-13-2009, 9:05am
Happy Birthday Sam Bush, born April 13, 1952!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tree
Apr-13-2009, 9:18am
And may there be many, many more!

I'll work on Whayasay some more today, in honor of The Man.

Scott Tichenor
Apr-13-2009, 9:27am
There are conflicting dates on his birthday on the web. Not the most important issue but be nice to have it right. I say it's April 15. Talk amongst ourselves. Either way, Happy Birthday, Sam!

woodwizard
Apr-13-2009, 9:50am
I thought it was the 13th but I may be wrong. For some reason I was thinking I was 11 days older than Sam. He wrote on my CD insert once. "Hey Mike! You'll always be older than me, Sam Bush"
Either way ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAM! ... What a mando player!

Bob Andress
Apr-13-2009, 10:58am
Well, if there is a guy who should be honored two days each year, what the heck, might as well be Sam!

Happy Birthday Sam! - one of these days

mandozilla
Apr-13-2009, 11:08am
Hah! And I thought I was a geezer...Happy Birthday Sam.

:mandosmiley:

mandopete
Apr-13-2009, 11:13am
Happy B-Day Mr. Sam Bush!

Fretbear
Apr-13-2009, 11:38am
He'll always be (Sam) "The Man" to me......
Band leader, singer, composer, musical visionary and revolutionary, Newgrass commando, first-choice sideman, fiddle and mandolin virtuoso and still the nicest guy you'll ever meet.....
Happy Birthday, brother......

Joe Parker
Apr-13-2009, 11:59am
CMT has Sam being born on April 15,1952.

JPP

Joe Parker
Apr-13-2009, 12:00pm
Almost forgot-have a great birthday,Sam!!

Jason Kindall
Apr-13-2009, 4:57pm
A big happy b-day, Sam!

Rob Fowler
Apr-13-2011, 3:20pm
Happy Birthday, Mr. Sam Bush! Thanks for all the great tunes and songs!

RB250
Apr-14-2011, 7:17am
Happy B day Sam and you're latest CD and DVD are both great. "Midnight on the stormy sea" is a classic and the instructional on it shows this classic position and pattern that can be transfered to many songs. The Stringbean song is great! Thanks for a CD with good classic Monroe style as well as newgrass!!!!

RB250

mando_dan
Apr-14-2011, 8:35am
To the guy who brought me to the mandolin- HAPPY BIRTHDAY! All these years later I still can't say enough great things about his playing.

Scott Tichenor
Apr-13-2012, 9:15am
Today is one of the "big one" birthdays. Happy birthday to an American original.

Rosemary Philips
Apr-13-2012, 9:18am
He's a timeless classic--he'll never really grow old. Happy birthday, Sam!

Ed Goist
Apr-13-2012, 9:39am
Happy birthday to a mandolin icon.
On the "Mt. Rushmore of Mandolin Players"? Along with Monroe, Grisman, and Jethro?

PhMfRxFdFTI

RB250
Apr-13-2012, 10:03am
Happy Birthday, Sam...didn't know you were an Aries. Thanks for all the great music over the years and great instructional DVDs, etc for all us Monroe wantabees. Thanks to you, John Hartford, Homespun and Kaman Music, we have the 2 DVD Monroe set. Wish we had something similar on Earl Scruggs but we do have the TV Shows. We all appreciate what you did on the Monroe DVD and I hope to see you next time you're in the Chicago area.

RB250

AlanN
Apr-13-2012, 10:19am
When you get older losing your head
Many years from now
Will you still be chopping on the mandolin
Burning it up, all with a grin?

Happy Birthday, Sam!

Raymando7
Apr-13-2012, 10:42am
Happy Birthday Sam - Huge thanks for the endless gifts of music, tuition material and inspiration !

Any planned visits to the UK coming up ? We'll bake you a cake :-)

jim simpson
Apr-13-2012, 10:43am
Also Happy Birthday! I say Bush for President! Wait a minute, Sam already was.

WaveRay
Apr-13-2012, 11:54am
Sam, you brought my wife, Randee, to bluegrass and mandolin. And now she goes between the mando and the fiddle and her and I play music together and have more connection than I could have hoped for.

Thanks, Man.

45ACP-GDLF5
Apr-13-2012, 12:44pm
According to Sam's FB page as well as his wife's FB page, his birthday is today, April 13th!!! I believe I'll take their word for it. Happy Birthday, Sam!!! :mandosmiley:

rhicksnm
Apr-13-2012, 1:10pm
Happy B-day, Sam! You're my mando inspiration!

Rob

Tim Pike
Apr-13-2012, 3:00pm
I first heard him in NewGrassRevival-I wondered "who the heck is that guy on mandolin?"
Happiest of days Mr. Bush and thanks for the music!

Charley wild
Apr-13-2012, 3:35pm
A Happy Birthday from me as well. Not only a great talent, Sam is one of the nicest people I've ever met!

journeybear
Apr-13-2012, 5:57pm
Happy Birthday Sam Bush! One of my favorite players, one who always puts a smile on my face with his playing. I am not familiar enough with his body of work to call out specific tunes or solos or aspects that I appreciate (other than his energy and that gorgeous hair :) ), but I have never heard a bad or boring note from him. I do enjoy his adventurous spirit, his willingness to push the envelope and color outside the lines. Also the tie-dye T-shirts. :)

Just came back from a remembrance ceremony for a local (http://captainoutrageouskeywest.blogspot.com/)artist (http://www.captainoutrageous.net)who died five years ago, who would have been 72 today. He used to have parties in his house/gallery on the 13th of every month. I was happy about this as I am also a 13th birthday guy. This was on my mind as I scanned through today's posts. So Sam Bush is exactly four months older than me. How about that? Another thing we have in common! :mandosmiley:

PS: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Bush)has his birthday as 4/13/52, too.

Peter LaMorte
Apr-13-2012, 6:03pm
Drove a couple hours east to see Sam at the Keystone ski area, as usually, Sam knocked it out of the park. We sang Happy Birthday to him and he seemed to enjoy it. He played "Outside Women Blues" it was great....... Only Sam could pull that one off.

coelhoe
Apr-14-2012, 8:34am
Met Sam,and Wayne Stewart, at the fiddle contest in Weiser, Idaho, (near where I lived) in '67 or '68. He was on his way to winning the junior division for the third time in a row. I'd just bought an F-2 and we had a nice visit about mandolins that were available at that time. He was using an A-2 that had been "reworked" by Randy Wood, filling in the oval hole, cutting "F" holes , extending the neck, etc. a proto A-5. I mentioned that I planned to move to Bloomington, Indiana, to be near more bluegrass music. His response: "Indiana for bluegrass? You will go out of your mind!" Which is pretty much what happened musically for the next decade or so.

Hard to think of him as any older than that. IMO, no group has even come close to the invention, tastefulness, and talent of the Newgrass Revival with Curtis, Courtney, Sam and John. Even Monroe recognized that.

journeybear
Apr-14-2012, 8:45am
Huh! :disbelief: Just noticed - Born 4/13/52 ... 4 x 13 = 52 ... How about that? :whistling:

drbluegrass
Apr-14-2012, 8:46am
Oh, does he play one of those mandolin thingies? Happy B-Day, Sam.

Tom

llg
Apr-14-2012, 10:14am
I cut my bluegrass teeth on all of AKUS early stuff and Sam and Steffey really drew me to the mandolin (Stuart Duncan as well).
Nobody has the attack of Sam. He always has that fire which really brings to life everything he is a part of.
Also I dare so few if any play rhythm while playing lead at the same time quite the way Sam always has.
Happy B-Day.

pickinNgrinnin
Apr-14-2012, 12:10pm
Here is a picture of Sam playing my Hogan F5, built by Adrian Minarovic. Sam has played a show in Olathe, Kansas for the past 3 summers and I'm looking forward to seeing him back again this summer. Monster picker and great guy!

Marcus CA
Apr-14-2012, 10:19pm
To the guy who brought me to the mandolin- HAPPY BIRTHDAY! All these years later I still can't say enough great things about his playing.

Absolutely!!! I was lucky to see him play with NGR in 1978, opening for John Prine. Near the end of a killer set of bluegrass and newgrass, he put on a slide and played that memorable kickoff to "Fly Through the Country." As if that wasn't jawdropping enough, I couldn't believe it when halfway through, he pulled out an electric mandolin and played it through a phase shifter. Totally stunning! Always has been; always will be.

Happy birthday, Sam!!!

Don Grieser
Apr-14-2012, 11:14pm
Didn't Jethro write a tune called Sam's Bush? Happy Birthday, Sam!

Billgrass
Apr-15-2012, 10:39am
There are conflicting dates on his birthday on the web. Not the most important issue but be nice to have it right. I say it's April 15. Talk amongst ourselves. Either way, Happy Birthday, Sam!
Happy birthday Sam the man. See you in Telluride!

Ed Goist
Apr-16-2012, 1:46pm
This was just posted to Sam Bush's Facebook page:

"Tune-in alert! Sam will be on NPR this Saturday! Listen live as he appears on A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor. The show will be broadcast live from the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville on April 21st starting at 4:45 pm CT. Get tickets here: http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/tickets/2012/0421.shtml and information about how to listen live here : http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/stations/ ."

jsmandolin
Apr-17-2012, 8:37pm
The world was graced when you were born. Thank you for sharing your skills, talent and love of making good music with the world. -Musically yours, jsmandolin