PDA

View Full Version : Golden Gate Tuners

Steve G
Apr-12-2009, 10:19pm
Has anybody had any experience with Golden Gate tuners?

Gail Hester
Apr-13-2009, 2:44am
Which ones? Golden Gate (Saga) sells A&F style Gotoh's which are great tuners IMO. They also sell a couple other tuner styles which are also good for the price.

8ch(pl)
Apr-13-2009, 6:23am
Where are Gotoh tuners made? Are they comparible to Schallers? Grovers seem to be taking a hit on the site lately.

I am thinking of upgrading the tuners on my Mid Missouri. I had thought about Grovers, Schallers or the Stewart MacDonald ones.

Gerry Cassidy
Apr-13-2009, 6:35am
I have Grover's on 2 of my mandolins, and just received a new mandolin on Saturday that has the Golden Gate (aka Elite) tuners on it.

Both sets of Grovers look and feel solid, but they have a tendency to slip quite a bit.

The Golden Gates are tighter, and harder to turn, but seem to be made just as nicely as the Grovers. The thing I am liking is their response to tweaking is immediate, with no slip.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-13-2009, 7:59am
Try changing the strings on the new mandolin with the Golden Gates and see if they slip afterwards.

Gail Hester
Apr-13-2009, 8:59am
Elite (Golden Age) tuners are sold by Stewart MacDonald while Golden Gate tuners are Gotoh's.

Gerry Cassidy
Apr-13-2009, 10:40am
Try changing the strings on the new mandolin with the Golden Gates and see if they slip afterwards.

On the second set of strings with no problems.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-13-2009, 11:19am
Two sets of strings since Saturday. You're my hero. Even I wouldn't do that.

Steve G
Apr-13-2009, 1:24pm
So you think Gotohs might be the way to go? I have a custom made F5 and need to get new tuners. Waverlys are out of reach.

Gerry Cassidy
Apr-13-2009, 4:58pm
Two sets of strings since Saturday. You're my hero. Even I wouldn't do that.

Who said it was the second since Saturday? It came with a set on it and the tuners worked just fine. The set I just put on myself and the tuners worked, still are working just fine.

Darryl Hattenhauer
Apr-25-2009, 9:24pm
http://www.greatmusicproductsonline.com/proddetail.asp?prod=FM-20

Golden gate nickel worm-under reverse F for $98. That's the cheapest I've found. I know nothing about the tuners or the company selling them. I hope it's ok to post something like this.

Skip Kelley
Apr-26-2009, 8:18am
Raymond, They can be bought cheaper from Roger Siminoff or Luthier Mercantile. I think both have the sets priced at 60-65 bucks.

Darryl Hattenhauer
Apr-26-2009, 11:33am
Skip,

Wow! Thanks. That's a big difference. You just saved some people some money. Siminoff must be a great resource.

Darryl Hattenhauer