PDA

View Full Version : Jesse Cobb & picks

MandolinFlyer
Apr-12-2009, 3:19pm
Anyone know what kind of picks Jesse Cobb from the Stringdusters is using?

MandoJump
Apr-12-2009, 3:33pm
If I recall correctly, last summer he was using a D'Andrea Pro-plec, 1.5mm pick...Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Jordan Ramsey
Apr-12-2009, 3:35pm
Last time I saw him he was using a Bluechip, can't remember what style.

pjlama
Apr-12-2009, 4:00pm
I played his Gibson last year and he had a pocket full of real tortoise in various shapes. Jesse is one of those guys where the equipment has little to do with what's going on. I will say his new Collings MF5V sounds amazing but again he could make a Rover with a Fender thin pick sound good.

MandolinFlyer
Apr-12-2009, 4:06pm
Yeah, he does have a great tone distintive to him alone. It's just something I've been curious about for awhile.

pjlama
Apr-12-2009, 6:38pm
If you haven't seen him play his new Collings make sure you do this Summer. He finally has a mandolin that does his playing justice.

Chris Biorkman
Apr-12-2009, 6:46pm
There are some videos of him playing his new Collings with Kym Warner and Andy Falco on YouTube.

mandopete
Apr-13-2009, 8:39am
Hey, if you find some of those videos post a link here - I couldn't find 'em. I'm a big fan of Jesse's playing and if he has switched to a Collings that makes perfect sense to me.

Chris Biorkman
Apr-13-2009, 9:55am
Hey, if you find some of those videos post a link here - I couldn't find 'em. I'm a big fan of Jesse's playing and if he has switched to a Collings that makes perfect sense to me.

Here you go...
Collings video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1xdE3dwkoI&feature=related)

There are three total, but this is the one where he plays his own mandolin. In the others, he plays an MTO and an MF5O.

Scotti Adams
Apr-13-2009, 9:59am
If I recall correctly, last summer he was using a D'Andrea Pro-plec, 1.5mm pick...Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

This is my new favorite pick...I ordered 12 of them last week...there great.

mandopete
Apr-13-2009, 10:58am
Here you go...
Collings video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1xdE3dwkoI&feature=related)

Excellent video - 3 of my favorite pickers on one of my favorite builder's instruments.

5 stars!

WRT to my earlier comment about this making sense (playing a Collings) I have always heard the Collings tone described as more of a "modern" tone than say the "bluegrass" tone of a Gibson. In that regard I can't think two better players for that tone than Jesse Cobb and Kym Warner.

mtk
Jul-23-2011, 6:51pm
Old thread, but I got some new information. Was at a festival about a month ago, before one of the Dusters sets, I saw Jesse on stage and asked him what picks he was using now. He pulled a pick out of his pocket, gave it to me, and said he was using these and that I should "give em a try". That pick was a well used Dunlop gator grip 2.0mm.