PDA

View Full Version : Southern California

Greg Wilson
Apr-12-2009, 2:43pm
I am new to the mandolin and southern CA. I am trying to learn about the bluegrass scene around Santa Barbara where I live. Anyone from this area could inform me about jam meetings, camps, good bands etc I would greatly appreciate it. I have played guitar for a number of years but would really like to find a local instructor experienced in bluegrass. Or just people to play with!

Chris Biorkman
Apr-12-2009, 2:49pm
There is a jam at Zoey's in Ventura. It's a coffee shop near the mission on Main Street. As far as instructors, I know Phil Salazar teaches in Ventura. I'm a little south of you and I go to Tom Corbett in Grenada Hills from time to time.

mandozilla
Apr-12-2009, 2:52pm
Hello GDWilson and welcome to the Mandolin Cafe!

You, my friend, are in luck. There's quite a bit of bluegrass going on in the Santa Barbara area. I hope this info might help you.

:mandosmiley:

Greg Wilson
Apr-12-2009, 2:54pm
Thanks! I will make a trip down to Ventura and check out the store.

mandozilla
Apr-12-2009, 3:02pm
I think you'd better call first. I don't know if Phil keeps regular hours or not.

Stephen Lind
Apr-12-2009, 3:55pm
I'm a little south of you and I go to Tom Corbett in Grenada Hills from time to time.

Tom gave me a huge jump start when i started playing mandolin
it was well worth the 60 mile drive

Ransome
Apr-13-2009, 3:38pm
I think you'd better call first. I don't know if Phil keeps regular hours or not.

That's the funniest thing I have ever heard, Phil and regular in the same sentence. Phil and I are great friends and I have my first mando lesson tomorrow with him. He has sat in numerous times with my bands; mostly for the girls at the gigs (his words, not mine).

He has such an amazing grasp of the violin and how sits within the groove. Also being a stringed instrument freak of nature helps.

Calling before hand is a must, drop by the jams for sure there are all levels playing and it's a great place to learn as well.

Bill

barney 59
Apr-13-2009, 5:36pm
My son goes to school there and since I will have to go there on occasion I have looked to see what kind of music was available. The only musician that I knew of in Santa Barbara was Kenny Sultan (well worth seeing but not bluegrass)who plays blues at a place called Cold Springs Tavern on Sundays with Tom Ball, unfortunately I have yet to be there on a Sunday.Whenever I found live music playing it was some sort of Dave Koz smooth jazz to sip expensive wine to but I have now heard rumors of some sort of bluegrass organization or club there and they do sponsor events. I believe Byron Berline is playing in Santa Barbara on the 9th of May.

mandozilla
Apr-13-2009, 7:13pm
Barney 59, there's a group called 'The Salt Martians' who play every thursday night from 5:30 to 7:30 at the 'Tupelo Junction Cafe' on state St. in Santa Barbara.

Byron Berline on May 9? Will John Hickman be with him? Hell that's my B'day...maybe I'll go. Are advance tickets available?

Laurence Firth
Apr-17-2009, 8:49pm
I also recommend that you check out the acoustic / folk music store Folkmote.

http://www.folkmote.com/

It's in Santa Barbara and easy to find and they have a great selection of instruments and info about music in the area. They should be able to help you locate / connect with other musicians and a teacher.

Best of luck!
Laurence

Greg Wilson
Apr-19-2009, 4:16pm
Thanks,
I am going to start attending the jams at Zooeys and also see about getting lessons down that way as well. Not too far if a drive for musicians/instructors that talented.

Greg Wilson

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-19-2009, 10:30pm
Don't forget the Topanga Banjo and Fiddle fest on May 17th in Paramount Ranch... Wear a Cafe hat or T-shirt...

Mandolusional
Apr-20-2009, 1:37am
There's an Old Time Fiddle Festival each year out at the Stowe House, plus I know there are at least a couple small jams in town. There are a few venues that will have bluegrass from time to time, but none are solely dedicated to it.

If you're looking for a great music store, Jensen Music on De La Vina is awesome. They have two locations. Facing the mountains, the electric store is on the left side, and the acoustic is on the right. They sell some mandolins, fiddles, banjos, a ton of guitars, and have instruction too on each instrument as well.

mandozilla
Apr-23-2009, 1:18am
Speaking of California, I just started a 'Social Networking Group' here on the Cafe for California BG mandolin pickers called, aptly enough, 'California Bluegrass Mandolin Pickers'. I think we could have a good time and share a lot of Californiacentric mandolin info there...check it out. :grin:

~o):popcorn:

aphillips
Apr-27-2009, 12:39am
Hey Greg - how's it going? I actually live in SB and everything mentioned so far is great. Also check out Trinity Backstage at Trinity Episcopal church on State St. its a great series that some of my friends run. There is also a jam every Wednesday around 4 or 4:30 at Alice Keck Park

Greg Wilson
May-25-2009, 2:05pm
Does anyone know anything about the Alice Keck Park Wednesday jams? What kind of music? What skill level? Is it an open group?

Mandolusional
May-25-2009, 2:17pm
I think it's open, and I also believe it's "old time" but I'm not sure how strict that is. I only saw it once and it looked like fun, hopefully someone else can fill in the details.

Jack Roberts
May-27-2009, 12:37pm
Just a reminder:

Zoey's Jam tomorrow night is on, but starting June the Jam moves from Thursday to first and third Mondays. June 8th is the first Monday night jam.