PDA

View Full Version : Gibbs model information

kaboom
Aug-05-2004, 8:35pm
Hi guys and gals, I'm new to this forum, having been directed here from harmonycentral.com.

I am searching for some information on a mandolin that was given to me by my mother. It is a Gibbs Chicago Music Company melon back. Most of the interior label is missing, but I can read the following:

Telephone: 1903-j Williamsburg P. Lica (the rest unreadable).

The instrument has a vine inlay on the fretboard, and what looks like white plastic binding around the sides and the inside edge of the soundhole (which is oval).

I'm not looking to sell it, I'm just looking for some information on it. It has been unstrung for years, and the fretboard is cracked in a few places. Any information would be helpful in my attempt to restore it to playability.

Feel free to email me. wrutschman at hotmail dot com.

Jim Garber
Aug-05-2004, 8:52pm
Mugwumps lists the company as making mandolins from about 1886. I have some jpegs, I think from eBay some time ago. Here is a label from a rather plain model with maple back and sides. It looks like Mr. Gibbs was the president.

Please post pictures of this mandolin.

Thanks
Jim

kaboom
Aug-06-2004, 8:27am
Thanks, Jim. I'm at work right now, but I will post a couple of pictures tonight when I get home.