PDA

View Full Version : Twin-Point Flat-top

GarY Nava
Apr-11-2009, 10:12am
Hi Guys,
Thought that you might like to see something a little different from here in the UK.
I’ve completed this flat-top mandolin that I’ve dubbed the Red Mandolin. It has a stunning 5-piece back made from cocobolo and Brazilian rosewood. The sides are also cocobolo and the body is bound in Brazilian rosewood.
Redwood soundboard is inlaid with a pearl and lozenge rosette, inspired by my trip to the Museo Stradivariano in Cremona. The neck is made from prime Cuban mahogany, recycled from the lid of a 19th century grand piano and reinforced with carbon fibre.
Hope you like it.
Cheers Gary.
www.navaguitars.co.uk (http://www.navaguitars.co.uk)

Woody Turner
Apr-11-2009, 10:36am
Beautiful work, Gary. I really like the lines defining the points and the repetition of forms in the rosette and fingerboard markers. I remember your stunning walnut mandocello. Any chance you'll be posting a video of this or similar mando as you did for the cello?

Glad to learn that you're back in the shop. As I recall, you had to take a break a while back to deal with sinus inflammation. I'm a little surprised, in fact, that you're now working with cocobolo, given its long association with skin and respiratory irritation.

Keep up the good work.

Geoff B
Apr-11-2009, 10:39am
Wow, well done!

JeffD
Apr-11-2009, 10:45am
Beautiful lines. Just beautiful.

How is the sound?

viv
Apr-11-2009, 11:09am
it's....it's....it's just GAWJUS!!

Jill McAuley
Apr-11-2009, 11:43am
Absolutely lovely! Particularly taken with the look of that 5 piece back..

Cheers,
Jill

Jake Wildwood
Apr-11-2009, 11:50am
Awesome!

Jim MacDaniel
Apr-11-2009, 11:58am
Wow! Love the herringbone effect of that 5-piece back.

Fliss
Apr-11-2009, 12:57pm
Absolutely beautiful!

Fliss

Skip Kelley
Apr-11-2009, 1:19pm
Gary, that is one sweet looking two-pointer! I just love Cocobola! Your rosette inlat is very nicely done!

GarY Nava
Apr-15-2009, 10:43am
Hi Guys
Many thanks for all of those nice comments!!
I’ve got a video on my channel now; the problem is, I’m such a lousy player that I can’t do my own instruments justice! I still get emotional when I hear a good player put one of mine through its paces and shed a tear!
The cocobolo is really beautiful and I had it in stock for quite a few years, not wanting to use it because of its health risks. However, towards the end of last year I finally bought myself a drum sander which cut down the amount contact time I’d have to have with the cocobolo, so I finally took a chance and fortunately my long suffering sinuses held up!
All the best Gary

http://www.youtube.com/user/NavaGuitars?gl=GB&hl=en-GB

Jill McAuley
Apr-15-2009, 10:49am
Just the few strums you gave it sound the business - I'm sure the new owner is going to be over the moon. What a gorgeous instrument!!

Cheers,
Jill

billhay4
Apr-15-2009, 12:05pm
Beautiful work, especially bookmatching the back.
Bill

pops1
Apr-15-2009, 12:06pm
GREAT JOB, makes me want to build a mandolin!!!

JEStanek
Apr-15-2009, 12:41pm
Wonderful looking and sounding.

Jamie

Shelagh Moore
Apr-15-2009, 1:07pm
Absolutely beautiful mandolin. Want it!

RichM
Apr-15-2009, 3:20pm
Lovely! Very reminiscent of my old Brian Dean flattop. Are we in a flattop renaissance?

JeffD
Apr-18-2009, 10:30am
Very nice.

mtucker
Apr-18-2009, 11:17am
gotta love the raised board ... nice work :cool: