PDA

View Full Version : Harmony Mandolins

firehead
Apr-10-2009, 8:48pm
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the mandolin, already a guitar player.
Just bought my first mandolin on ebay. The only problem is I didn't really think it through, and from what I researched harmonys aren't the best.
Anyway I was just wondering if anyone had any info on it.
Its an H 1240 with an oval soundhole, and the main reason why i bought it was because of the condition, it's very good. As soon as i figure out how to put up a picture i will.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

firehead
Apr-10-2009, 9:47pm

Ok, figured it out
here it is.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-10-2009, 10:25pm
Those were entry level mandolins built by Harmony under several brand names from the 30's or so on into the 60's. They weren't real elegant but they were solid woods as far as I know. Most I've seen were pretty hard to play and I had trouble selling the last one I had until I dropped the price real low. Look inside and see if there is another stamp in a square, circle or oval that says something like F64 or S68. The number you provided is the model number, the number I'm looking for is actually a date code. It may or may not be there.

firehead
Apr-12-2009, 10:26am
Can't seem to find any numbers on the inside. Hopefully with practice i'll be able to upgrade soon. Thanks Again.

Richard Singleton
Apr-12-2009, 7:40pm
Looks similar to the Harmony Stella that I picked up on ebay a few years ago as a mandolin for my daughter when she was younger, so she wouldn't try to play my Weber Aspen. I had it set up with light strings and the action is pretty good, makes a nice campfire and beach beater mando and doesn't sound bad at all. She doesn't play it much, prefers the new Kay baritone uke I got her Christmas before last which she knows chords for, and she likes the nylon strings.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-12-2009, 8:46pm
...makes a nice campfire...

Yup, break em up and stuff em in among the logs and they light pretty easily.

It would be the same. By the time your mandolin was made Harmony owned the Stella brand name.

Frank Johnson
Apr-13-2009, 8:54am
Just my two cents: Don't worry about whether you got the "best" or not. If you find you like the mandolin and you decide to stick with it, you can always upgrade.

And welcome to the world of the mandolin and to the Cafe! I'm also a new player and have found a lot of encouragement and support here!

Spencer
Apr-13-2009, 7:13pm
Here's a couple links to threads on Harmony mandolins where I put in my 2 cents worth, there are probably more. I've had a lot of fun with my old Harmony.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3713&highlight=harmony

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48066&highlight=harmony

Spencer

jim_n_virginia
Apr-14-2009, 10:32pm
Very first mandolin I ever owned was a flat white Harmony mandolin. As I recollect it wasn't that bad of a mandolin. It was good enough to learn the basics on it and while it wasn't set up very good it sure toughened my fingers up playing it.

I used to busk in the streets with it in New Orleans with my guitar playing buddies way back then!

pops1
Apr-14-2009, 11:17pm
Just got a Harmony mando given to me for a fund raiser. and the tuners are like 25 to one they are simply and really work well. Has anyone seen these before and why isn't anyone making something like this?

allenhopkins
Apr-14-2009, 11:26pm
The Harmony Monterey and other mandolins i used to see around in the '70's all had really nice tuners -- worked smoothly, good ratio. While the mandolin being discussed isn't a Monterey, I always sort of admired the Montereys -- even with the garish red-and-black paint jobs.

Michael Eck
Apr-14-2009, 11:28pm
Allen,

I've got one of those garish red/black ones. I actually sold it a few years ago and then bought it back from the same guy. It's my boomerang mando!

Spencer
Apr-15-2009, 11:22am
Maybe there's something to the boomerang thing with Harmony. I left/gave mine to a friend in 1977 here in Denmark when I was here for an half year, and was moving back to the states. I wound up moving to Europe in 1985. A couple years later, I ran into the my friend with mandolin, and he gave it back to me.

Spencer

allenhopkins
Apr-15-2009, 11:28am
The Harmony "mathom" model? (For Tolkien fans)

MikeEdgerton
Apr-15-2009, 11:29am
Just got a Harmony mando given to me for a fund raiser. and the tuners are like 25 to one they are simply and really work well. Has anyone seen these before and why isn't anyone making something like this?

Close,those are Grover 24:1 tuners. I actually have a brand new old stock set in the box that I've had for years.

Jason Umbrellabird
Nov-05-2023, 7:48am
My Harmony Mandolin, anyone know it's age? (it's great wen it's warmed up) <https://youtu.be/RW1H3iTe5Bs?si=D-cHgowXxEgjG94Z>210366
https://youtu.be/RW1H3iTe5Bs?si=D-cHgowXxEgjG94Z

MikeEdgerton
Nov-05-2023, 8:52am
My Harmony Mandolin, anyone know it's age? (it's great wen it's warmed up)

Probably the 90's. It was imported and has no connection with the instruments made in Chicago.