PDA

View Full Version : Concert at Newport Festival

JimD
Aug-05-2004, 7:47pm
Hi all,

For anyone in the vacinity or attending the Newport Guitar Festival, I will be giving a performance at the Festival on Saturday (Aug.7) at 11:30 AM. Rolfe Gerhardt of Phoenix Mandolins is one of the participating builders and I will be performing on his Neoclassical.

I'll be doing a wide variety of music (some with soprano Maggi Smith-Dalton) to showcase the instrument in different styles.

If you do come, be sure to introduce yourself.

margora
Aug-06-2004, 3:17pm
Jim, I expect to be there, for all or part.

Jim Garber
Aug-06-2004, 3:26pm
Man! I always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Oh well.
#
Keep us posted on further concertizing... and that goes for anyone on this list.

Jim

JimD
Aug-06-2004, 7:14pm
Robert, it will be good to see you again.

Jim, I hope we get to meet soon. Let me know if you are out in the Boston area. I also haven't forgotten to send you a list of the old mandolin music that I have. I just haven't been able to find enough time to compile the list yet--and summer is supposed to be "laid back" compared to the school year...

Jim Garber
Aug-06-2004, 8:06pm
Jim:
I am sure that we will meet one day. No rush on anything... whenever is fine.

Jim

margora
Aug-07-2004, 6:05pm
Jim and Maggi gave a very nice "mini-concert" at the Newport Guitar Festival. I particularly enjoyed their joint performance of two of the Mozart songs w/mandolin (Maggi has a beautiful voice), and Jim's fine performance of an Audrey Stauffer setting of "Listen to the Mockiningbird" (I think this was the arrangement in Neil Gladd, ed. "Three Centuries of Solo Mandolin"). At the festival itself I had the pleasure of playing several Phoenix mandolins, including a new Neoclassical. Superb worksmanship and playability -- the sound is quite unique, light and transparent, very suitable for duo style, IMHO.

Eugene
Aug-07-2004, 6:36pm
(psst...That's "Aubrey.")

margora
Aug-07-2004, 6:38pm
Aubrey, yes, my apologies. That happens when one types too quickly.