PDA

View Full Version : James mandolin tailpiece

pmadison
Apr-08-2009, 5:27pm
Any opinions about the JAMES MANDOLIN TAILPIECE? Some of the heaver 'solid' pieces I have heard have enhanced the high end and became to ringy.

testore
Apr-08-2009, 5:54pm
Best on the market IMO

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-08-2009, 5:56pm
I have one on my Gibson Fern. Makes string changing a snap.

Phil Goodson
Apr-08-2009, 6:09pm
Have one on my #1 & #2 mandos. Love'um.

mandopete
Apr-08-2009, 6:14pm
Great design and looks.

5 stars!

Mike Bunting
Apr-08-2009, 6:17pm
Da best!

MikeEdgerton
Apr-08-2009, 7:44pm
Here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query=james+tailpiece&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=1&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&do=process) are a few threads that discuss this tailpiece.

sgarrity
Apr-08-2009, 8:25pm
I wouldn't own a mando with any other tailpiece. The absolute must have mando accessory!!

James S
Apr-08-2009, 9:00pm
I love my James tailpiece, but does anyone have any "maintenance" advice? Basically, one of the "tops" of the O-rings is not sitting in the metal grooves made for it (like the rubber is too wide) and the cover does not close like I would like it to. Any suggestions?

- James

PS - I do *love* this tailpiece. It's quite an innovation!

mtucker
Apr-08-2009, 9:37pm
i love my james tailpiece, but does anyone have any "maintenance" advice?

lubrication!

amowry
Apr-08-2009, 10:16pm
Yep, a little Vaseline or chapstick will do the trick. You should be able to lift the strings up a little and force the o-ring back in place.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-09-2009, 8:00am
I love my James tailpiece, but does anyone have any "maintenance" advice? Basically, one of the "tops" of the O-rings is not sitting in the metal grooves made for it (like the rubber is too wide) and the cover does not close like I would like it to. Any suggestions?

Take a look at this (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48831&highlight=close+james+tailpiece) thread.

James S
Apr-11-2009, 4:50pm
Thanks all! I will give it a try! Happy Easter! :grin:

mandozilla
Apr-12-2009, 12:15am
Is the James tailpiece about the same weight as a typical Gibson sliding cover type?

:mandosmiley:

Michael Lewis
Apr-12-2009, 1:11am
Mark, the James tail piece is a bit heavier than the Gibson style stamped design. I think some one weighed one and reported quite a while back. I have a gram scale if you need a precise number.

mandozilla
Apr-12-2009, 10:58am
That's OK Michael, I was just curious. Thanks for the info. I got Allens on all my mandos but I like the look of the James. Is it really that much easier to change strings on the James vs. Allen cast tail pieces?

:mandosmiley:

Dale Ludewig
Apr-12-2009, 5:57pm
I'd say it's probably easier to change strings on the James. But a little masking tape will take care of any problems with the Allen. I like them both very much and use them both. Bill and Randy have been nothing but really nice people to deal with, from my experience. Michael is right although I haven't weighed either. I believe the Gibson is stamped. The James is cast and machined. The Allen is obviously cast and polished.

jim simpson
Apr-12-2009, 6:39pm
I recently saw a mandolin player with an old Gibson A outfitted with an Allen/Monteleon style tailpiece. I thought to myself how much better a James would have looked on it as far as in keeping with the shape/look of the original.

pmadison
Apr-15-2009, 1:28am
Thanx for the feedback.

Changing the strings isn't a problem, I am looking for a change in tone. I hope it goes where I am thinking it might.

I ordered one and I will report back.

mandroid
Apr-16-2009, 9:48pm
Bought one [ then I put an Ebony face on the cover]

It replaced the one that came on the Lebeda. ( a plug and re-drill project )

Mix fits one of them, standard.. so thats 2 ..

pmadison
May-03-2009, 11:03am
The James tailpiece arrived and I installed it a couple of days later. Change is always suspicious, at first I wasn't sure about the change. I think we will grow to like one another. I still like my Thomastik strings. I also changed the strings after trying the old strings with the James. I log all the stuff I do to my mandos and was surprised to find that the old set lasted 14 months. Not to bad for playing that mandolin 3 or 4 hours a week. All in all, I would recommend the James Tailpiece, one can always go back.